Arrrggghhh!!wilton Gum Paste Fondant Letter And Number Mold.

Decorating By CookiezNCupcakez Updated 8 Jan 2009 , 6:44pm by CookiezNCupcakez

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:38am
post #1 of 9

icon_mad.gif I'm a complete newbie to EVERYTHING decorating..... So I didn't know wilton products suck! I'm in Canada so my options for other brands are limted.... Went out bought some fondant tools etc... made my own MMF wich was beautiful used it for a b day cake and christmas cookies and a few other things...
Got this letter mold do hicky thought I would practice using it b4 my son's 2nd bday(march 30th) and it SUCKS!!! I tried there method..terrible tried my method a lil better but not so much with the detailed letters..
Anyone have any tips for me on how to use this thing plzzzzzzzzzzzz icon_redface.gif
The only cutters they sell for the alpha are block and I thought I would use this mold cause the letters are a lil more fancy...I paid 30.00$ for this GRRRRRRR

Thanks for listening and I would be greatful for your help

8 replies
PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:52am
post #2 of 9

Which mold is it?? When stamping out letters, it is usually best to let the fondant or gumpaste sit a bit after you roll it out. Make sure you have plenty of cornstarch on your cutters. I also dust the gumpaste too. It will keep them from sticking. I hope this helps.

Good luck!!

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:20am
post #3 of 9

I agree with the pervious poster. I roll the fondant out pretty thin and lay it on the counter for a while and then I turn it over and let that side dry out for a little while too.

Press down enough to just cut the shape but not so much that you are filling the shape completly with the fondant all packed in. You want to sort of leave a little space between the bottom of the letter mold and the top where the fondant lays.

I use this space to poke the tip of my scalpel or needle into to just get in under the fondant and loosen it so the letter will fall out!

hailinguk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hailinguk Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:46am
post #4 of 9

Hi There,

I am a complete newbie to this too and attempted using a letter cutter yesterday for the first time. The first few attempts were awful - the letter just stuck in the mould and I had to tease it out with a cocktail stick.

I then rolled it out quite thin (but not too thin) and dusted under and on top of the fondant with lots of corn flour. I then cut the letter out which still sticks in the mould, so I rapped it hard once or twice on the table and it popped right out!

I just used rolled fondant but as soon as I get hold of some CMC I will add a bit of this to the fondant as from what I;ve been reading, I think this will make it easier.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 10:17am
post #5 of 9

I think you're referring to the mold set as opposed to cutters? I have the same set and find it just as frustrating as you do lol!

The only advice I can give is to be sure to dust really well with cornstarch and make sure your fondant / gumpaste isn't too sticky to begin with.

I'd be interested to hear your method as I haven't had much luck with Wilton's method either. The letters stretch out of shape when I try to remove them icon_sad.gif

I tend to use cutters for fondant now (much easier!) and only use the mold set for melted chocolate.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 9

I would just like to say be careful not to add too much tylose or cmc when making letters using the cutters as it can make them brittle and they break quiet easily and sometimes you think the dry flat until you then go to place them on the cake or board and what appeared to be flat no longer looks flat but curled - don't ask me how I know icon_redface.gif

Not sure about the mold sets though!

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed_one

I think you're referring to the mold set as opposed to cutters? I have the same set and find it just as frustrating as you do lol!

The only advice I can give is to be sure to dust really well with cornstarch and make sure your fondant / gumpaste isn't too sticky to begin with.

I'd be interested to hear your method as I haven't had much luck with Wilton's method either. The letters stretch out of shape when I try to remove them icon_sad.gif

I tend to use cutters for fondant now (much easier!) and only use the mold set for melted chocolate.

Yes it is the gum paste and fondant MOLD I'm using not cutters...
I was goning to share my 1st method but now I have found the way to do it!!! So here is my 2nd method...

Mix small amount of fondant with tylose powder..wich btw I was doing...
then roll into ball
use some crisco and grease the mold
push into mold and spread to fill
take rolling pin and roll over the back of mold until very thinn and you can see the imprint of the letter
pull off excess fondant
flip mold so you are now looking at the front and push any rough edges back it will look neat and clean
Then....take the useless tool Wilton gave you in the kit and bang the front of the mold one or 2 times over your work area and it will pop right out PERFECT!!!!

****Forget using 2 colours this will not work unless you use a marble effect

I hope this icon_biggrin.gif helps

natou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natou Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for sharing this method divinecookies I will try this since I bought this mold some time ago and I was never able to use it , fondant was never filling the letter cavity properly.

CookiezNCupcakez Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 9

Happy to help icon_smile.gif

I think I may use it has a chocolate mold too , I had considerd this if I couldn't get it to work with fondant icon_lol.gif I have never molded chocolate any tips?? I have only made truffles and cake balls.

Thanks again for all ur replies thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%