Castle Cake

Decorating By margaret5 Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 4:04am by schnumvf

margaret5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaret5 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:20am
post #1 of 19

I am about to embark on trying to make a castle cake. I would appreciate any hints and ideas that anyone may have. A little nervous! icon_confused.gif

18 replies
Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #2 of 19

I made a castle a while back, it's in my photos. I followed the Cake Boss tutorial, it made it so much easier. If you decide to follow these instructions, you will want to start a week earlier than the cake is due, you'll want plenty of drying time for the turrets

http://www.cakeboss.com/CastleTutorial.aspx

Have fun, make sure you post the finished product ?Coupon=CC2015"princess.gif"

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #3 of 19

plan ahead! they are very time consuming!

suchie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suchie6 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:43am
post #4 of 19

I'm no expert. I have a rather simple castle cake in my photos. My suggestion would to search "castle" here on CC and view the photos of the wonderful people on this site for inspiration.

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 19

I just made my first one last month. Right before Christmas. UGH. It was very time consuming. It is a lot of work but of course loved by the child who is receiving it!
I had my husband drill holes in the bottom of the turrets that sat on top so I could put my plastic dowel inside and then through the cake. That helped make it more stable. I just left the turrets plain but added flowers and vines in buttercream along the window. I did fondant on the sides of the cake only that had been "bricked" with a mat. All my flowers were MMF cut by hand. This took about 3.5 hours to complete from the start of making the fondant to cutting them all out. I used Royal icing to attach my side turrets. This worked fine.
I used the Wilton kit and using a 10 inch and a 6 inch like it stated was frankly toooo much cake for the average birthday party. So, when I do this again in Feb. for my niece, I will scale way down. I think that cake when it's done could serve close to 50 people.
Um, let's see, I hope I'm not being too confusing here I'm just thinking as I type!!!!
Just plan ahead, do as much in advance as you can. take your time and don't expect perfection. I'm sure you'll do fine. Every here on CC helped me through my first one so I'm sure you'll get lots of advice.
Good Luck,
Marianne

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 19

Is it for a girl? How many do you need to serve? There are many, many different takes on castle cakes.

kakeladi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:29am
post #7 of 19

Is it for a girl? How many do you need to serve? There are many, many different takes on castle cakes.

kakeladi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:33am
post #8 of 19

lasdulzurasdelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasdulzurasdelaura Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:35am
post #9 of 19

I love Debbie Brown's Enchanted Castle cake. It isn't so difficult to make at it seems. All towers castle are made of modeling paste.
I have the direction, but in spanish.

I made one some months ago. You can see it in my pictures or go to her website and see it there..

http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk/enchanted_cakes/pages/enchanted%20castle_jpg_jpg.htm

margaret5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaret5 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:21am
post #10 of 19

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I really appreciated all your help. This is really my first time on the forum. I have posted pics before, but have never been on the forum. I know where to go to get info and help. You all have a blessed day. Margaret

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:31am
post #11 of 19

I agree, start early! I swore after my first castle cake (the first one in my pics) not to make another because it took so long, but it really does get easier the more you do it. Just make sure you have plenty of time!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:42am
post #12 of 19

what great tips! i have done a castle cake in the past and it was a disaster, and i swore it off too. but after reading these tips i think ill try again.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:44am
post #13 of 19

I made mine not too long go. Yes, planning ahead defiantly helps. Just make sure you use your support wisely because it will travel.
LL

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #14 of 19

icon_confused.gif

PrettyPartyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrettyPartyCakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #15 of 19

Hi, Here are some instructions on how to make a 'Fairy Castle Cake'. The Wiltons Disney Princess Castle Kit Box is excellent.

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:13am
post #16 of 19

Good luck with your first castle cake icon_smile.gif

PrettyPartyCakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #17 of 19

Unfortunately I cannot add the link to the instructions but if you do a search for Fairy Castle Cake by Kathy Moore you should be able to find it under the Culpitts website.

PrettyPartyCakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #18 of 19
schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:04am
post #19 of 19

I used Wilton's Romantic Castle set. It was a little tricky but I was SO happy with the results. If you do use that set I suggest you drill a hole in the bottom of the towers so you can dowel the tower directly into the cake. I covered the turrets in melted chocolate instead of fondant like the instructions say.
Good luck and have fun! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%