Pressed Sugar...how To??

Decorating By HipnotiqGlamour Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 1:46am by mommicakes

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #1 of 12

Okay I was wondering how you do the pressed sugar in the molds? I was told I can take my molds and press sugar into them and they'll dry hard so I can use them on cakes.

How do I do this ?

11 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:56am
post #2 of 12

For each cup of sugar you'll need to add 1 tsp. meringue powder and 1 tsp of water. Mix together and when squeezed it should hold it's shape. Press into molds and invert out onto a cardboard. Depending on size it will take a day or 2 to dry.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:34am
post #3 of 12

I have made the eggs for Easter and you can use egg whites and sugar as well and let them dry over night 24 hours. It's been some time so I will have to look for the directions.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 12

Actually you don't even need to add the white or meringue....just sugar & water will work just fine. If you want them to keep over yrs they will turn yellow when the egg/meringue is used.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 12

Call me Dumb
I have never heard of pressed sugar and what do u use it for.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 12

I did the pressed sugar recipe that Wilton has ...just water and sugar. I made it in the wonder mold to make a doll that could be kept from the top of a cake. It didn't hold together as well as it should...I think the mold was too big. You just press into the mold and invert. It takes a while to dry. I don't think I would do a wonder mold again but it would have been just fine for something smaller.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 12

Iam with Kakelady....I dont add the meringue...Is very easy!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 12

Uniqueask, try this link
http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/tips/sugarmoldinst.php
I make Easter eggs, Christmas ornaments, and sugar cubes to decorate for tea parties. (Much cheaper than buying sugar cubes.)
I don't use any egg white or meringue powder either. They are for added strength if you want the shells to be almost transparent.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 12

If the sugar didn't hold together it was 1) not wet enough or 2) not packed tight enough. Being as it was in a lg pan I would think you didn't pack it enough.

It seldom is called 'packed sugar' - usually it's called molded sugar.

I have used it for more than 40 yrs to make sugar 'peep' Easter eggs.

coopette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coopette Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 12

7yyrt--- may I ask how you do your sugar cubes, must be some small molds. Do you have any pics to post.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #11 of 12

I use a mold that's actually for ice squares. Like this one. Image

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much for posting this one. I was looking for something like this months ago. Thanks now I can give it a try before my bridal show this month. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%