Making Cakes For Friends

Decorating By cleeg1 Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm by Neicey76

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:38pm
post #31 of 61

I have been taken advantage of in the past (hence the earlier postings I did).

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:42pm
post #32 of 61

eldag0615 I so want to see a picture of the cake. You cant mess up chocolate cake. MMMMM now I want cake. LOL

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:55pm
post #33 of 61

Opps, it did not attach, let me try again. Also, a friend of my other sister, from church wants a cake for her parents 50th. anniversary, for 275 servings, when she called me she sounded so humble and told me she was looking for something simple and not too expensive . I told her to come over to look at designs, etc. but (my mistake) I told her if it was simple, buttercream, just simple borders and simple filling like the premade they sell, I could sell it for $1.50 serving (kill me), she came, and what she wanted was all fondant with drapes, gumpaste flowers, you name it she wanted that, told her she could not afford that, then she asked for one that is on a wilton book, it has 800 pansies with gold dragees in the middle, a big gumpaste bow and some other fondant accents, I told her for being my sisters friend, I would charge her $4.00 serving, she wanted things changed and I have to make a lot of fondant pearls and dust them with gold pearl dust, she asked what about in buttercream? I told her $3.00 I still have to make the bow and the flowers plus the extras for breakage, etc. and she wanted to be delivered to Mexico, like 1 hour away from where I live. I told her I could take it (poor DH), for extra $100.00 (double kill me) then showed her HEB prices and they charge 3.00/mile for the first 5 miles then 2.00 each extra, up to 15 miles. She said she wanted to consult with her sisters and would be back with me and asked me for a copy of the pic. silly me I gave it to her, that was in november and have not heard from her again, my DH wanted to kill me when I told him 100.00 for delivery to mexico. Well, I don't think I"ll get that order but if I do, I will change the delivery fee, since this is a new year. She wants it for February. The thing is since I am not that used to charge what is right, stupid prices come to my mind and my big mout speaks before I think, my DH says that eventhough I love making cakes that does not mean I have to work for free or people I don't know. I have not made a lot of big cakes, but I know I CAN, but people want to pay Walmart prices, so, no, I will keep practicing and time will tell. I can't attach the pic.

eldag0615 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:09pm
post #34 of 61

Alvarezmom, let me see, here I go again, I resized it, hope it works, No, I can't, I can resize it more. I tried to send it to your email but I did not see anything to send attachments. I can email directly to you if you want. my email address is : [email protected]

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #35 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldag0615

..... since she has a sister that makes cakes, she HAS to take the cake for the office party,...

Well how freakin' considerate of them to tell her "I'm bringing the buck-twenty-nine bag of chips but YOU can bring the $125 cake!"
icon_mad.gif

alvarezmom Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:43pm
post #36 of 61

eldag0615 I just emailed you with my email address.

eldag0615 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #37 of 61

Exactly, she told them next time to order it from me, which they have done in the past and they have the budget to do it, don't know why this time they didn't, or she will take the disposable plates or forks. They were expecting one like the other ones with coyote paws and fondant coyotes, since that is their mascot, I am so sorry I can't post the pic. of what they got, it is hilarious.Maybe I am doing something wrong and I am just "posting" challenged. Maybe I can send it to someone that can post it for me?

eldag0615 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:03pm
post #38 of 61

I just sent it to you. alvarezmom, maybe you can post it.

alvarezmom Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #39 of 61

Let me try....brb

alvarezmom Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm
post #40 of 61

Let's see
LL
LL

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:17pm
post #41 of 61

I learned my lesson a while back about those so called friends. At this point I even charge DH for cakes. I only give him $5 off just like the rest of the close relatives. That is because he likes to give cakes away to his co-workers. Someone at his job will do him a favor and then ask for a cake in return and he says yes. They don't even order like they used to because he is giving them away! So he has to pay up since he wants to give away my services.

alvarezmom Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #42 of 61

YAY Elda we did it! LOL It took some time but I got them to attach.

eldag0615 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #43 of 61

Thank you, thank you alvarezmom, you have to tell me how you did it. So, what do you think? they still ate everything, and I bet it tasted good also, afterall IS Chocolate icon_wink.gif

alvarezmom Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #44 of 61

I had to save it several times in order for it to save as a jpg doc and not a webpage. Some times docs are weird like that. The strawberries in the 1st pic are much bigger. That probably would have helped your sister out and if she had left the leaves on them. For some reason it gives it a nicer look????? But yes, chocolate is chocolate is chocolate is chocolate!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

At this point I even charge DH for cakes. I only give him $5 off just like the rest of the close relatives. That is because he likes to give cakes away to his co-workers.

I've shared this story before but my hubby doesn't do that anymore either. Here's why: Bride and groom were very close personal friends and I gave them a great discount on their buffet, appetizers and chocolate fountains. Hubby wanted to do more .... "debi, can you give them the chocolate fountain free?" I told him I'd already discounted them pretty heavy and I just couldn't do it. He asked, "What if I paid for it?" Fine, I don't care where the money comes from as long as I get it.

Hubby tells bride. Bride emails me in shock, "Is my choc fntn REALLY free?" I replied, "Free to you, but Phil's writing the check!" icon_biggrin.gif

So hubby asks how much I was charging them for the fountain. I said, "$750." His mouth dropped open and he said, "Are you kidding? I thought it would be about fifty bucks!" I said, "Nope! 750 big ones."

He says, "well, uh, you're not really gonna make me pay that, are you?"

I said, "Get your checkbook, babycakes. And I also take credit cards."

He doesnt' volunteer ANYTHING anymore! icon_twisted.gif

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:16pm
post #46 of 61

I have only run into this problem once and that is when I offered to make my best friend's daughter's birthday cake. They saw the one I made for my daughter (I certainly couldn't afford to buy a two-tier stacked cake with fondant decorations) and really liked it. So, two months before her birthday, I offered to do hers and they were very excited. My friend wanted to pay me for ingredients before I even started making the cake (she's a gem!). I told her since I offered, there was no cost. (They loved the cake BTW). Her daughter is graduating 8th grade in June. I told her if they wanted, I would make her graduation cake--again, I offered. She is already insisting on paying for ingredients or she will not let me make it. So, I told her, first one is totally free; second one, she can pay for ingredients. This girl is my closest and oldest friend (since kindgergarten), so we will fight over the cost of ingredients at a later date--this would be like charging my sister--don't know if I could do it. Some of her relatives at the party asked what a cake like that would cost--their jaws dropped when I told them. I would be happy to make cakes for my friends relatives--they are not getting her discount, however!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #47 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

At this point I even charge DH for cakes. I only give him $5 off just like the rest of the close relatives. That is because he likes to give cakes away to his co-workers.

I've shared this story before but my hubby doesn't do that anymore either. Here's why: Bride and groom were very close personal friends and I gave them a great discount on their buffet, appetizers and chocolate fountains. Hubby wanted to do more .... "debi, can you give them the chocolate fountain free?" I told him I'd already discounted them pretty heavy and I just couldn't do it. He asked, "What if I paid for it?" Fine, I don't care where the money comes from as long as I get it.

Hubby tells bride. Bride emails me in shock, "Is my choc fntn REALLY free?" I replied, "Free to you, but Phil's writing the check!" icon_biggrin.gif

So hubby asks how much I was charging them for the fountain. I said, "$750." His mouth dropped open and he said, "Are you kidding? I thought it would be about fifty bucks!" I said, "Nope! 750 big ones."

Well my DH is not spending that kind of money so maybe that's why he has no problem paying for them. But like you said, as long as I get paid.

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:04am
post #48 of 61

You're right; that chocolate cake is hilarious! I'm going to be giggling the rest of the night!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:31am
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

My policy has always been this:
If you ask for a cake, you pay for it, but if I offer a cake, it's free.

SugarFrosted, I read this from you a while back and it was the best advice I have ever taken! (keyword being taken!)

I too had a problem saying no or charging to little, not so much anymore, sure I don't have 3 free cakes a week anymore but I am not resenting the ones I do have anymore!

eldag0615 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:50am
post #50 of 61

Dlinnane, I told you, and I am not making fun of my DS, she is an EXCELLENT accountant and Asst. Principal, after dealing with more than 2,000 at her school plus the duties she has to cover like chaperoning the school dances, etc, she does not have the time to make anything else, besides whatever I know on how to use a computer, she taught me, she even knows the basic on computer maintanence! She does not let ANYONE touch her computers.She loves computers and eating the cakes not making them. She could easily have ordered one but wanted to teach them a lesson. I just got an idea, I want to make her a cake in the shape of a computer, my next challenge. I have to look for any ideas and surprise her.

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:27am
post #51 of 61
Quote:

Dlinnane, I told you, and I am not making fun of my DS, she is an EXCELLENT accountant and Asst. Principal, after dealing with more than 2,000 at her school plus the duties she has to cover like chaperoning the school dances, etc, she does not have the time to make anything else, besides whatever I know on how to use a computer, she taught me, she even knows the basic on computer maintanence! She does not let ANYONE touch her computers.She loves computers and eating the cakes not making them. She could easily have ordered one but wanted to teach them a lesson. I just got an idea, I want to make her a cake in the shape of a computer, my next challenge. I have to look for any ideas and surprise her.

I think y'all are so cute! It was a very clever way to make your point.

eldag0615 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #52 of 61

OOops, when I said she has to deal with 2000, I meant 2000 students. I love my sister dearly.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #53 of 61
Quote:

I just got an idea, I want to make her a cake in the shape of a computer, my next challenge. I have to look for any ideas and surprise her.

You might want to check out MW902's photos, she has a few cute laptop cakes in there.

eldag0615 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #54 of 61

Thank you NCmomof3boys, I will.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by katwomen1up

I do the same thing, I have a friend that I make all of her cakes for free. Husband, daughter, grand daughter and now her aunt, I don't know how to ask her to pay for the cakes...

Say something like, "From now on I have to start charging for my work. Going forward it's bladeebla price. I need at least two weeks notice."

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #56 of 61

OMG! I have the same prob, over here... my DH employee's just told me at a employee meeting, "Oh, yeah, BTW, now we know who to go to for FREE cake and FREE cake orders!".. I almost fell to the floor....
I had asked, "Really?, who volunteered my FREE services?". I then told them the same thing everyone else says, the advise thing,, "You have to pay for your cake, unless I offer it for free to you"..

I told DH, there is NO free cake... employee or not, they gotta pay, unless I donate it..

Unreal, peoples can be............they still don't get it that it cost $$$$$ for all the supplies......and the time to decorate, etc....

Happy Baking.........

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:01am
post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

Quote:

I just got an idea, I want to make her a cake in the shape of a computer, my next challenge. I have to look for any ideas and surprise her.

You might want to check out MW902's photos, she has a few cute laptop cakes in there.

Thanks for the compliment!!!!

alvarezmom Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Debi-that is to funny! My hubby would have you know what in his pants if I had told him that! LOL OMG. Well, I sgree with allot of the posts. If I offer then its free if you ask I can either charge you or not! But I made a rule with myself when I started doing cakes. I decided to do cakes because I wanted nice jar dropping cakes for my kids, neices, and nephews.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:17pm
post #59 of 61

A good friend of mine called me this weekend and her son had gotten engaged the day after Christmas. She told me that she definitely wants me to do the groom's cake and they are going to have a co-ed shower and wants me to do a fun cake for the shower. She has no control over the wedding cake but recommended to the bride's mother and they were excited when they learned that I do fondant since they want a fondant-covered cake. So, my friend was getting prices and wanted to know what I charge so she could pass it along. I gave her a "real" price for a fondant, tiered cake.

Later, my hubby and I are in the car and talking about the conversation with my friend. Since I had the phone on speaker and he was in the room, he could hear most of it. We were talking about the cost of the cake and he said that he was listening to make sure that I quoted enough. icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif We had talked before about the last wedding cake and some things I had forgotten about that I didn't charge for. He wanted to make sure I charged this time. Nope, I don't have to worry about him asking me to make something for free or giving a discount. icon_biggrin.gif

alvarezmom Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #60 of 61

tracycakes-your hubby sounds like a good guy to me! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%