Two Problems

Decorating By rlm5150 Updated 30 Dec 2008 , 2:57am by hayleythecaker

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 12

Hopefully someone can help me! I have two seperate problems. The first is with the Stabilized whipped cream icing. I finally got it to firm up but it has tons of gletin threads and pieces all through the icing.
The second is with using luster dust. I have tried unsuccessfully several time to use this with the same results. Every time I mix it it turns out gummy (lilke the geletin threads in my icing). It never turns out like the paint consistency I have seen on cake shows.
Thnk you,
Tabby

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 12

I have never found the need to use gelatin in whipped cream, so I can't help you with that one.

For the luster dust, you just need to mix in a few more drops of whatever liquid you're using.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 12

I can help with the lustre dust problem. First, take a little lustre dust (maybe 1/4 tsp or less) and put it on a glass or ceramic plate (not a paper plate.) Then take an eyedropper full of either lemon extract or vodka (both of which have a high alcohol content) and drop some of the liquid NEAR the lustre dust but not IN the dust. Take your brush and slowly mix the two together. This will help you with consistency. The alcohol will evaporate but you can always add more. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you both for the help.
Does it matter that I am using imitation vanilla instead of clear vanilla?
Tabby

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 12

Is the vanlla in the whipped cream or the luster dust?

Real vanilla works best for foods that are uncooked. For the luster dust it wouldn't make any difference, except that it might alter the color of the dust.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Dec 2008 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 12

...Does it matter that I am using imitation vanilla instead of clear vanilla?.......

Very definitely! At least the kind I have used once or twice has NO alcohol in it. That's is the most important ingredient you need for painting w/dusts.

As for the gelatin threads to get rid of them, try staining your icing thru cheesecloth or a panty hose stocking.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 6:30am
post #7 of 12

I'm also curious as to what luster dust you are using. The first time I tried luster dust it also came out "gummy" and not at all like paint. Then I realized it wasn't actually luster dust, it was shimmer dust or sparkle dust or one of those other products. Figured I'd mention that, just in case.

bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 12

Well that's your problem then, the shimmer and sparkle dusts (not to mentio the mystic and disco dusts) have a larger "granule" and they don't mix as well with the alcohol. Lustre dusts are finer and mix better, so you won't get the gummy effect.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:20am
post #9 of 12

LOL bobwonderbuns, that was MY problem, for sure! I'm not sure if it was the OP's problem though...?

I'm just speculating that that's the real problem here, since proper luster and pearl dusts simply don't go gummy. They may be too lumpy if you don't mix in enough alcohol...but not "gummy." They don't dissolve in alcohol, rather they are suspended in the liquid and when the alcohol evaporates off, the dust is left behind in a uniform coat. The other kinds basically just melt. (I know you already know this, I'm just elaborating for the benefit of the OP thumbs_up.gif )

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:41am
post #10 of 12

Hee hee ... mystico dusts, disco dusts, pearl and lustre dusts ... I may just be very tired, but does anyone else think this might sound illegal to an outsider? icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 1:47am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Hee hee ... mystico dusts, disco dusts, pearl and lustre dusts ... I may just be very tired, but does anyone else think this might sound illegal to an outsider? icon_lol.gif

Only to those living near the border! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

hayleythecaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hayleythecaker Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 2:57am
post #12 of 12

If you are having trouble with gelatin threads you probably aren't heating it up enough...are you melting it thoroughly before you are adding it (I'm in pastry school and we've worked with gelatin several times...when I had threads in something they told me that was probably the issue). You can add gelatin to a hot part of the recipe or melt it separately on the stove.

If you still have threads you can strain it, but depending on the thickness of whatever you're making that can be pretty annoying.

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%