Funky Alphabet ?

Decorating By Danacakes65 Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 10:50pm by Cathy26

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 6

I have been using the funky alphabet set and you have to use alot of the cornstarch to help the letters release from the molds and my question is how do you get the cornstarch off the letters after they are out of the mold.The cornstarch makes the letters look powdery...

5 replies
keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 6

Hey, I know Aine2 had a video on how to use that alphabet cutter...sorry I dont' have advise about how to get the cornstarch off the letters. Have you tried letting the fondant/gumpaste sit for a minute to dry out some before trying to cut? I heard about vodka getting the cornstarch off, but not sure how that would work on letters!

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 6

i just take a lightly dammped cloth or a paintbrush and go over the tops of them but you have to be very careful not to get the cloth to wet or it makes the letters all sticky hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 6

I let my letters dry before using them, especially the funky ones, because they tend to distort in this humidity when I move them. After drying, I brush them with a dry paintbrush. If that doesn't work, I clean the letters with clear alcohol - vodka or lemon extract. I can't clean with water here - they rehydrate too much. If all else fails, you can dust the letters with petal or luster dust to cover the cornstarch.

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you ladies for all your help...

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 6

just knead in a bit of veg fat into the fondant and rub a bit on the surface your working on ,the letters wont stick to the cutters then. just leave them for about 30 minites and peel them off the surface whn they are a bit dryer. it works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%