10" cheesecake (made in a springform pan) = 12 to 16 servings

13" x 9" x 2" sheet cake = 12 to 16 servings

cake roll = about 12 - 1" slices

pound cake (made in a 10" loaf pan) = 10 to 12 servings

17 replies
cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 18

Thanks, Ski, That's good info... I still tend to spend alot of time questioning the number of servings, I'm gonna make a note of this, though thumbs_up.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks! Great info!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 18

I'll stick to the wilton wedding chart ... since I chart per serving, I'll make more money with the wilton chart, where an 8" 2-layer round serves 24. thumbs_up.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 18

I'll stick to the wilton wedding chart ... since I chart per serving, I'll make more money with the wilton chart, where an 8" 2-layer round serves 24

How do you get 24 out of an 8" 2 layer? Are people even getting any cake?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 18

I wouldn't mind seeing that cutting chart that turns out 24 servings from an 8" cake as well!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 18

Those sure are *massive!* sized servings icon_sad.gif
I'm 100% w/Indidebi on this one.
.......How do you get 24 out of an 8" 2 layer? Are people even getting any cake?.....

Sure they are - a 1x2x4 slice which is exactly the same amount of cake as a 2x2x2 serving. Do you think a cupcake is an adequite(sp?) serving? You get 24 cupcakes from one box mix recipe.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 7:14am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Those sure are *massive!* sized servings icon_sad.gif
I'm 100% w/Indidebi on this one.
.......How do you get 24 out of an 8" 2 layer? Are people even getting any cake?.....

Sure they are - a 1x2x4 slice which is exactly the same amount of cake as a 2x2x2 serving. Do you think a cupcake is an adequite(sp?) serving? You get 24 cupcakes from one box mix recipe.

It depends on the heights of the individual layers. I have seen 1" tall pans, so if you are using one of those, a two-layer cake would have to make 12 servings to have equivalent serving size to your 1x2x4.

I do find that round cakes do tend to serve fewer servings than the mathematics would predict, probably because the edge pieces end up being mostly icing if you don't make them bigger than the 1x2. (Maybe if I liked icing, I wouldn't see this as a disadvantage!)

I guess everyone has an image in their mind of what is a proper piece of cake. As long as the baker, he person requesting the cake, and the person cutting the cake are all "on the same page", everyone is happy.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 18

........everyone has an image in their mind of what is a proper piece of cake. As long as the baker, he person requesting the cake, and the person cutting the cake are all "on the same page", everyone is happy........

That's why it really is important to have a piece of styro or wood cut to the 1x2x4 and 2x2x2 sizes to show customers.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 18

If you look at indydebi's cutting chart on her web site you'll see they are getting a good size piece of cake.

juleskaye518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleskaye518 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 18

Just to add my 2 cents, the occation matters to me too. (I don't sell them) People eat more at a birthday than a wedding.

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:19pm
post #12 of 18

Just my 2 cents....

My preferred size of cake for myself would be a 12x12x4 icon_biggrin.gif

I suppose thats why my butt is going to need a "Wide load Ahead" sign soon!

I just love cake....sigh...and buttercream...another sigh...and cookies...ok a sigh with a smile!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:36pm
post #13 of 18

I go with indydebi on this one........I round wilton's chart down to the nearest 5 servings....so for me an 8" serves 20........I've cut them myself and have never had trouble getting 20 servings and everyone that's ordered according to my serv. charts has NEVER had too little cake......usually they have leftovers......but not a TON of leftovers to where they feel like I made them order too much cake! The slice is more than appropriate!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:38pm
post #14 of 18

I can get 24 slices out of an 8" (2 layer,4" high). I'm always amazed how far a small cake goes. I made a 8" cake for my sons 2nd birthday last week. We ate it at his party (5 of us), had seconds the next day (4 of us), served it at poker a day after that (6-8 people), one more round of thirds (3 servings)= that equals 18-20 servings and still threw out about a 1/4 or so of cake the day after that.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski

8" or 9" square cake, single layer = 9 servings

- even mathmatically the above is too low, way too big a serving! a 2x2x2 of an 8" square single 2" layer cake is 16 servings not 9!
I'd go broke using this chart!

Edited to add: Think of it in cubic inches- there are 8 cubic inches in a 2x2x2 serving and 8 cubic inches in a 1x2x4 serving.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:00pm
post #16 of 18

The "best bakery" in my town tells people that a "little old 6" cake" only serves 4". Lol.

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 7:35pm
post #17 of 18

Khalsted
I just read a thread from a couple years ago..."Post your worst cake"
Oh my goodness!!!!
I was laughing so hard when I read about your husband saying a bear was putting stickers on him in the closet!! Oh my!!! ROFLMHO!!!! Too Funny! That whole thread was hilarious, but that one really got me because I am known for the crazy things I do and say when i'm sleeping.
icon_redface.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:29pm
post #18 of 18

how funny that you remember that!!!!!!!!!!! My DH would KILL me if he ever knew I told everyone on CC LOL It was funny though, I still tease him to this day..........when he says......shhh, what was that? about anything.......I roll my eyes and say.......let me guess???????.....it's the bear w/ the stickers again??????????? It's too funny!! He has the craziest dreams and wakes up thinking they're still taking place!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%