Mixing Gumpaste And Fondant

Decorating By Marysmom Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 4:13am by FlourPots

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 8

I'm planning on making some fondant bows for a cake this saturday. I've read that many people use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant. My question is how do you mix them? Just take a ball of gumpaste and a ball of fondant and knead them together? Is it that simple?

Thanks for any advice,
Gen

7 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 8

yes, it is that simple, icon_smile.gif tho for a fondnat bow I would use straight gumpaste, when doing figurines or models where you want it softer so you can model it some is fine using a 50/50 mix, for fast drying pieces just use straight gp

smithcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smithcakes Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 8

Just make sure if you are kneading a 50/50 mix, to knead it *very* well together. Good luck!

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks! I've never made a bow before. It's good that I can just use the gumpaste. I wasn't too happy about having to purchase fondant AND gumpaste.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 1:43am
post #5 of 8

Oh yes, the fondant is just to give you extra working time. If you are a fast worker, straight gumpaste is better anyway because your bow will dry fast and be sturdier than you expect (compared to fondant).

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:07am
post #6 of 8

You can also use fondand and gumtex.

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 2:19am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcakes

Just make sure if you are kneading a 50/50 mix, to knead it *very* well together. Good luck!

Once you mix it 50/50 is it edible?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 4:13am
post #8 of 8

I think it's technically edible, just not very appetizing.

I mixed mine 50/50 by measuring a 1/2 cup of both, ending up with 1 cup of usable material for a helmet face mask.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%