Posting On Craigslist?...really?

Business By gr8cakemaker Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 3:32pm by sweetlayers

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #31 of 64

Any one on CL is looking for a bargain and they will haggle you to death and never be happy. Is that really your target market?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm
post #32 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Tacky tacky tacky.....I don't care if Sylvia Weinstock herself had an ad directing peeps to her website. It invariably will be listed next to something like this:

"I make cake for calle me to get ur quote. $50 weeding cake and i make flowers"

Ugh! I don't think so!

Ahhahahahahaha! Jamie, I told you to stop quoting my ad!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:33pm
post #33 of 64

icon_biggrin.gif

happigolucki35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happigolucki35 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:53pm
post #34 of 64

I advertise on CL and get lots of cake orders,and have gotten repeat customers. I think there is a lot of negative feedback on this site to discourage competition. So beware of those that are dream killers. It does not matter how you get your cake orders as long as it is an honest way of advertising. CL is a starting point that can boost your cake business. No I don't work for CL. People on here constantly discouraging competition, you have too much time on your hands, go figure.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #35 of 64

My husband put a CL ad up for me a while back without me knowing. When he told me... I about bore holes through him with the look of death I gave him. NO WAY IN HELL do I want to be associated with CL for reasons such as ads like this.

It has nothing to do with not wanting competition... I encourage competition. I have even helped out some of my comeptition with how to work with some cakes they have never done before. I just don't want to be associated with bottom of the barrel BS like this. Perhaps CL is different in some areas, but around here... NO WAY. CL is full of the people who are flying under the radar... I want nothing to do with that.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:44pm
post #36 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

CakeForte, loriemoms and cakesdivine, what category would you place an ad under. I'm a new legal business and am very curious!

I posted on Craigs list a couple of years ago when I was small, and Craigs list was more legit. Now bakeries on craigs List are considered illegal and lower then low, and its also kind of scary to post on there, there are so many wierdos out there! So I wouldn't recomend it. Use other freebie ways of advertizing if you dont have an advertizing budget. There are tons of web sites that allow linkups and such. Stay away from CL.

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #37 of 64

Craigslist--good for used washing machines and yard sales. Bad for an artist.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #38 of 64

Bottom of the barrel? My brother makes well over a million a year and he always checks craigslist. Give me a break. There are scammers everywhere including the "bake my cake and I'll have a person pick it up and drive it to Canada". Totally get that it's not what everyone wants to do (I don't sell so makes me no nevermind) but everyone/anyone who checks reads craigslist isn't "bottom of the barrel". Heh, my bro sold his 300,000 yacht/boat on craigslist just because it was a couple of years old (and he wanted a new one) and guess who bought it? A member of Figure 8 island's yacht club...yeah I guess they both were "bottom of the barrel".

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:53pm
post #39 of 64

Maybe it depends on the area. Dont get me wrong. Craigslist is good for some things, just like Walmart, Kmart, and Target. However, the folks I know would not even consider looking for a custom cake (or any cake) on Craigslist. It's just not how it's done in my area.

From a business standpoint, I would think it would be a magnet for those who want free or discounted cakes.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:06pm
post #40 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

Maybe it depends on the area. Dont get me wrong. Craigslist is good for some things, just like Walmart, Kmart, and Target. However, the folks I know would not even consider looking for a custom cake (or any cake) on Craigslist. It's just not how it's done in my area.

I mean, hey, I am all for everyone doing what they want but don't paint "everyone" with one stroke of the brush as in "bottom of the barrel" or "only wanting something cheap" etc. Sure they are everywhere. Hey I definitely want a deal on things I buy from anywhere. It's why I look for cake stuff suppliers that are less expensive. I mean why buy Sweetex for 100.00 for 50lbs when I can get get it for 65.00. But hey, if someone wants to buy it for 100.00 go for it. It's how I got my new KA Artisan for 200.00 and other's pay close to 300.00. I'm OK with that as long as they are. But I spent 1000.00 to buy a antique dressform (that does nothing but stand there) from the UK, hey if I could have found it off craigslist I'd have bought it there!...lol...

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:08pm
post #41 of 64

Interesting topic and varying viewpoints.

I post on Craigslist. I also know some html, so my posts really stand out on it, because it isn't just a straight listing with some attached pictures in a blah format. In fact, they look just my flyers.

I'm an unlicensed part-time homebaker which is perfectly legal in my state (under farmer's market laws). No, I can't afford "real" advertising because it's my side business, plus I want to limit my advertising because I don't want to get more business than I can handle.

Does this make me tacky? Does this make my work crap? Think what you will, but I didn't pay for my advertising and got quite a bit of good business from it.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:20pm
post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesweetiecake

I mean, hey, I am all for everyone doing what they want but don't paint "everyone" with one stroke of the brush as in "bottom of the barrel" or "only wanting something cheap" etc. Sure they are everywhere. Hey I definitely want a deal on things I buy from anywhere. It's why I look for cake stuff suppliers that are less expensive. I mean why buy Sweetex for 100.00 for 50lbs when I can get get it for 65.00. But hey, if someone wants to buy it for 100.00 go for it. It's how I got my new KA Artisan for 200.00 and other's pay close to 300.00. I'm OK with that as long as they are. But I spent 1000.00 to buy a antique dressform (that does nothing but stand there) from the UK, hey if I could have found it off craigslist I'd have bought it there!...lol...

I didnt paint anyone like anything. I didnt say anything about "bottom of the barrell". I specifically said that the people I know simply dont look on Craigslist for cakes.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:42pm
post #43 of 64

Is it safe to say that since we live in 50 different states that CL customers are not the same all over the map?

I think it is possible to earn some legitimate customers from CL if you are starting out.

Obviously, if you are up and running and successful...you have the $$ to spend on flashier advertising.

Posting your professional webpage on a CL ad would make me consider you over a listing that contains a few sentences and nothing more. My main concern would be the sanitary conditions and for some reason, a slick website alleviates that a little. icon_wink.gif

I hope that members can avoid making others feel bad about choices they make when most people here just want to make a good living doing what they love! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #44 of 64

I was the one who said bottom of the barrel... and I was speaking of specifically the cake aspect and my local area. We are talking about different things. Cars... appliances... boats.. these are all fine to seek out on CL. Heck I posted a KA on CL and have sold appliances and such there too, but not cake. Sorry. I wouldn't buy food from CL.

I have nothing against CL on the whole... I bought my kitten from someone on CL. Just the cake aspect.. just keep that in mind when you read my post... this is only about her local CL cake ads... not my brother.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:00pm
post #45 of 64

Interesting topic. Everything on this site is so controversial in one way or another!

First, I have advertised on Craigslist. I did it because I didn't have any money for advertising. I was totally against it but then thought, "hey, if my site looks good, why not?" It did bring in some business and I had one bride who saw me on there, booked and now, thanks to her, my name is getting more popular on the knot. She mentioned me and that has brought in tons of business. So for me, craigslist was my lucky break.

On the other side, I am so embarrassed to see some of those cake advertising posts. Some of them are SO terrible. A lot of people who do it have no experience and have taken like, course 1, and think they can do cakes. Frustrating.

I probably won't advertise on CL again just because my business has grown so I can do other things. But I won't say it's the worst thing you can do. You do have to be prepared for people who want things really cheap and some spam crap.

loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:08pm
post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellis12

On the other side, I am so embarrassed to see some of those cake advertising posts. Some of them are SO terrible. A lot of people who do it have no experience and have taken like, course 1, and think they can do cakes. Frustrating.

I think that is where a lot of the stigma came from...like someone else posted, you do get a lot of spam from CL!

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #47 of 64

Maybe I just misunderstood, but if you were denied a license to bake in your home, and aren't legal to bake anywhere else, I think I'd stay away from advertising in print anywhere. Let word of mouth do it for you. You take out an ad, and you're not legal, you can get fined BIG TIME.

taria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taria Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:21pm
post #48 of 64

I recently started posting on CL, and I've been pleased with the responses so far. I am a finance professional by day and a baker by night, so I post on CL because I want to practice my craft. I've spent sooo much money in the past making practice cakes just to throw them away when I'm done. I've made cakes for friends and family members, but I don't like having to wait for a special event to come up. More importantly, FRIENDS AND FAMILY DON'T LIKE TO PAY! I advertise my cakes for cheap because I'm really just looking for someone to fund my next cake project. In my case, it's a win-win situation. I get to practice my decorating and customer service skills, and the client gets a cake he or she couldn't have otherwise afforded. I plan to open a legal shop in the near future, and when I do, I'll have the skills and portfolio to boot icon_biggrin.gif .

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:26pm
post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDomesticDiva

Maybe I just misunderstood, but if you were denied a license to bake in your home, and aren't legal to bake anywhere else, I think I'd stay away from advertising in print anywhere. Let word of mouth do it for you. You take out an ad, and you're not legal, you can get fined BIG TIME.

Yeah no stinking kidding. I found out a couple years ago when I was doing cakes out of my house, not thinking that it was THAT big of a deal, found out that it is a HUGE deal!!! Around here, if they hear that you are selling food a)out of your home b)without a license and c)without passing an inspection it' s min of $1000 fin PLUS they turn you into the IRS.
Not a line I was willing to cross so I quit making stuff till I got licensed, insured and an inspected kitchen.

loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:32pm
post #50 of 64

I will admit that I once wrote to a Craigs List poster asking if they were legal and inspected. They replied "Who are you?" That was it. I wonder how many of the craigs list people ARE inspected? Does anyone turn them in? (I dont consider them competition, because their cakes are usually AWFUL< but geeze, it aint that hard in this state!)

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:32pm
post #51 of 64

I have learned that it doesn't matter where you advertise, it all comes down to how good you are. Just because you use free advertising (ie craigslist) doesn't mean your cakes suck, and just because you spend $100's on advertising isn't going to make your cakes look or taste any better.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:03am
post #52 of 64

I just had to admit that I have never been on Craigslist....is that sad or what?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:14am
post #53 of 64

I have never been on Craigslist either....and probably never will..lol...

_Jamie_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:37am
post #54 of 64

Oh hey! Pick a big city. Any big city. Go to their Craigslist and type in cake to the search box. Sit back and enjoy!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:38am
post #55 of 64

I buy things from Craigslist pretty often...where else can you get a leather sectional for $100? icon_biggrin.gif I've gotten other good bargains...silver cake plateau for $30, a huge birdcage for cheap, etc...There's nothing wrong with using Craigslist. I have learned though that it's frustrating to sell anything on there because you do get spam and you also get people who say they're coming for something and then flake out.

I don't sell my cakes and if I did, I wouldn't advertise there, but I have sold gumpaste flowers to some of the ladies who advertise their cakes on the local CL (when I wasn't going to make my electric bill any other way LOL). I asked them how they deal with those people craigslist is notorious for, the ones that change their minds after they say they want something but don't tell you, just don't show up, and one of the ladies said that she makes everyone prepay through paypal and the others said they all meet with the customer and get a deposit of half before the baking starts, even on birthday cakes.

Chasey Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:11am
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Oh hey! Pick a big city. Any big city. Go to their Craigslist and type in cake to the search box. Sit back and enjoy!

I did just that. First one I found:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/1578547602.html

I would most definitely be interested in using him if I were cake shopping for real. Just sayin.'

icon_biggrin.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #57 of 64

Eh, looks nice and all, but really. No thanks. Keep looking. The ones like "I make you cake reel cheep call me netime" are out there. Those are the ones you don't want to be in between. Ya know...

_Jamie_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #58 of 64

Oo! Oo! $2050 diaper cake! SCORE!

_Jamie_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:21am
post #59 of 64

Boob cake! Gaston County! Double Score!!!

Chasey Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:23am
post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

The ones like "I make you cake reel cheep call me netime" are out there.

Most definitely not on the must call list! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%