Crumbly Cake! I've Never Had This Happen Before!

Decorating By kandu001 Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 4:51am by kandu001

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:00am
post #1 of 18

I just tried a new recipe that is supposed to be a replica of Starbucks Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake. My hubby's cousin wants it for her wedding cake for this coming Saturday. It ended up tasting great, and being moist, but it was totally crumbly! What could I have possibly done wrong? I have never had this happen to any cake I have ever made before! PLEASE HELP! I don't want to serve the cake at the wedding like that!

17 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:25am
post #2 of 18

About all I can suggest is to post the complete recipe so we can analyze it. Never heard of this recipe but it sounds very goodicon_smile.gif

kandu001 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks kakeladi! I guess I should have thought of that! Here's the recipe:

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter, 3/4 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add this dry mixture to the moist ingredients a little bit at a time. Add milk and mix well.
4. Spoon the batter into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan that has been buttered and dusted with a light coating of flour.
5. Bake cake for 50 minutes, or until the edges just begin to turn light brown. Cool and slice into 8 pieces. (http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
Serves 8.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 18

Did you let it sit in the pan before turning it out? That's been my problem in the past. Here's a link I love.

http://www.baking911.com/cakes/problems.htm

kandu001 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:47am
post #5 of 18

Hi dandelion,
I did let it sit in the pan about an hour (or more).

I would love to see your link, but something won't connect. Could you re-post please?

I've had a couple people try it now and they all say the same thing: it's more of a crumbly texture that totally turns them off from the otherwise yummy tasting and moist cake. What is going on?!

Thanks a bunch!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:05am
post #6 of 18

Crap, don't know why the link won't come up. It's *moderator edited* & type in cake problems . And coffee cakes are not exactly a firm cake (at least the traditional ones). So, is it like a cake or a traditional coffee cake? Are you saying you let the cake sit in the pan 1 hr after removing it from the oven? I've never seen more than a 15 min recommendation to sit in a pan before turning it out.

kandu001 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 18

Thanks dandelion! It pretty much says the cooling thing, but this time I don't think that is the problem because I do that with all of my cakes. I guess I'm just going to have to find and test a new recipe before Saturday. There's nothing like the last minute!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 18

Cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

You're going to need lots of batter to make a wedding cake....

When scaling up a home recipe, it's necessary to cut back on the leavener:
(Unless you're using a professional formula that has the leavener as a % of the total ingredients.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-610783-.html

HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm
post #9 of 18

One cup of butter to two cups of flour seems like a lot. Maybe tweak that. And don't let your butter get very soft. Let your mixer do the work of incoroporating it.

The idea with leaveners and multiplying recipes is valid, at least on paper. However many many bakers were absent that day so jillions of people do not abide by that and have great results.

I would switch the milk for buttermilk or sour cream.

A few recipe thoughts for you.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:07pm
post #10 of 18

I'm with K8Memphis...that seems like a lot. I've found that I can't soften the butter too much because it makes mine crumbly as well....HTH!

kandu001 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 18

Ah Ha!! Thank you so much everyone! JanH, the links are great! K8memphis, I think I will switch to either buttermilk or sour cream. Which one do you prefer?

Also the butter thing...I was bad and "softened" it in the microwave. I guess I shouldn't have skimped on time!

-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandu001

Ah Ha!! Thank you so much everyone! JanH, the links are great! K8memphis, I think I will switch to either buttermilk or sour cream. Which one do you prefer?

Also the butter thing...I was bad and "softened" it in the microwave. I guess I shouldn't have skimped on time!

ruh roh

I think I'd start with buttermilk and see how I liked it that way.

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 18

If your cake is crumbly or falling apart the main thing wrong with it is there is not enough eggs-- add 2 and you'll thank me.

kandu001 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:35am
post #14 of 18

Would it be awful to scratch the whole thing and just use a box mix and try to figure out how to add a cinnamon swirl? I am baking for the wedding tomorrow and couldn't try another time tonight because I had another cake to decorate. I'd rather not use a box mix, but I don't know what else to do at this point.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:54am
post #15 of 18

OMG yes use a mix by all means.

kandu001 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:14am
post #16 of 18

Thanks k8memphis! Now I don't feel so bad about it! Box mix here I come!!!! Now I just have to figure out the "gooey cinnamon sugar swirl" in the middle of the cake! Any ideas?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:51am
post #18 of 18

Thanks JanH!!!! I just finished baking, so we'll see how it comes out! I kind of used a combo of a couple different recipes that I found on your links. It smells really yummy so that's a plus!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%