Does Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 6:07pm by sillywabbitz

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 7

When I use the baking spray with flour in it to line my pans, as the top of the cake cooks it gets the excess oil and flour on it and basically fries the edge of the top of the cake.

Is this me or does it happen to everyone? Am I using too much coating?

It got so bad I stopped using it and picked up the idea from someone on here to line the cake pans with parchment and not grease the sides. LOVE this. Cakes come out great.

However I had to do a wondermold pan last night so I used the spray stuff and it happened again. For oddly shaped pans what do people do?

On a side note how long does a Wondermold pan take to cook? Mine took forever to cook and cool.

Thanks in advance

Cristy

6 replies
rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 7

I use a homemade baker's grease (recipe I found online...let me know it you want it.). I tried the spray once before I started doing cakes for fun and I really didn't like it...I think I may have inhaled it and left a nasty impression on me. That's just me... Other bakers swear by it. I think your issue is the amount of spray you may be using. My dh used regular pam while baking some cornbread the other day, and I think he used half the can and the cornbread was nasty on top. HTH.

CreationsByCaryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsByCaryl Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 7

Add my to the list of user of pan release. I do not like the sprays. I think they all leave a horrible taste, and I HATE HATE HATE overspray that gets on counters, and worse, flooring !

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 7

I have had the same thing happen to me so I quit using the sprays. I buy Wilton's Pan Release that I brush on with a paint brush that I bought spefically for that purpose but there is a recipe on this site somewhere to make your own cake release.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 7

I finally tried the homemade cake release found on this site and it's perfect!!!
I have one of those little cups for my blender and I blended together equal parts oil, crisco, and flour and will never go back to the spray stuff!
I know what you're talking about - the edges getting dark and crispy - and this doesn't happen with the homemade cake release.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 7

I use Pam for baking and have never had a problem. Maybe you're just putting too much on, but I very liberally spray my pans and don't have any issues...

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 7

How long does it keep? I'm assuming over time it seperates and I would just mix it up again to use it. Or do you just make a tiny amt each time.
I'm so happy it's ingredients I always have on hand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%