Fondant Pearl Necklace Tips Needed :)

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 2:34pm by kakeladi

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Cc'ers

Tonight I'm going to start decorating a whimsy-style cake. I want to do those whimsy roses around the border with pearl necklaces. the ones you see on Colette-esque cakes. Do you all have any tips? I've searched a bit around on the forums and I see some have strung them with a wire, and others with a needle and thread. Does anyone have a preference or think one way works better than the other? Also, if it's on a string, how am I connecting it to the cake? Gluing the top pearls to the ridge of the tier?

One more thing, does anyone know how to get a great dark mauve/purple color with wilton colors?

Thank you so much for the help!

8 replies
bumbledee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bumbledee Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 9

Hi, Alexandra, I usually do this with very thin wire and finish off with a thicker wire to insert into the cake for more stability, I also glue the top beads to the border of the of the cake with some water. It works fine.
Let me know how it turns out !!!

Good luck

sweet_teeth Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you for the tips. I might be biting off a bigger task than I can pull off, but it will be quite the learning experience! I will let you know how it turns out tomorrow icon_smile.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 9

I don't have any tips, because I've never done this before, but PLEASE post a picture of the cake when you get it done!!
It sounds gorgeous!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Susan

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 9

I did a Tiffany style cake (you can see it under my photos) and it included a pearl necklace. It was made out of gumpaste, but I'm sure you can use fondant the same way. I formed the pearls and let them dry out for a day, then I strung them on clear sewing thread (you can find at most sewing stores). I anchored it in place with royal icing. Hope this helps.

sweet_teeth Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 9

Your Tiffany cake is beautiful. I will finish the cake tonight so hopefully it will be a success. Regardless, I will post pictures tomorrow icon_smile.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #7 of 9

I humbly accept your compliment! Thank you!

I know your cake will turn out beautifully, my trick, I always pray for sanity, patience and a steady hand when decorating! LOL!

BTW, where is Hollywood? I graduated from Crossland High in Prince George's County (Temple Hills) before moving up to Baltimore for Culinary School, then I moved to Aberdeen when I married my hubby.

sweet_teeth Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:14am
post #8 of 9

Hollywood is in Bum F. Egypt icon_smile.gif It's in Southern Maryland in St. Mary's County. We're in peninsula of Maryland on the Potomac river. I went to Leonardtown High.

I have been trying to post my picture but it's not letting me. All turned out well..I strung the pearls out but I decided they would be over kill so they are going on my next cake!
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 9

Oh I love your creationicon_smile.gif The colors are so perfect together. Your work is very neat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%