Bake 2 Cakes At A Time?????

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 6:26am by plbennett_8

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 21

Im fairly new and have never done it, but can I bake 2 cakes in the oven at the same time?

20 replies
cathie_shinnick Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 21

One cake is a 10" X 3" the other 8" X 3". I really think(know that I cant, but will the batter in the other pan beok to bake when the other comes out?

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 21

I would not bake them both at the same time. I have with success baked one cake while another is waiting in the pan to go in the oven. I would suggest baking the 8 first since it requires less time to cook. Have fun!

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:03am
post #4 of 21

I have baked 2 cakes in the oven at the same time, no problem.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:03am
post #5 of 21

If you have a convection oven you can but you still have to watch if one is smaller than the other. But if its not a convection I wouldnt suggest it.

cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:10am
post #6 of 21

Just wanted to clarify that I have baked 2 cakes at the same time but since you are baking 2 rather large ones I would bake them separately. Maybe a "pro" will come along and give more advice!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:12am
post #7 of 21

today I baked 4 eight inch, 1 seven inch and 2 6 inch all at the same time. It was fine. I have a normal, not confection, oven. I ALWAYS bake more than one at a time. Who has time to sit around waiting for each cake? I would be baking 24/7.

LaDulceria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaDulceria Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:23am
post #8 of 21

i´ve been baking for a few years now...so i think you have mainly 2 options.

if you have a convection oven you can bake both cake at the same time, but watch the time as the smallest one will be done faster, just use the shortest baking time for the smallest one as a guide, and then go adding 10 min to finish the bigger one.
if your convection one is fairly good enough shouldn´t be any problem, specially if it´s big enough to have both at the same level, you can swap sides half way at the baking time. (the one on the left to the right and so on)

if your oven is no convection.....
tricky one, is normally harder to get a straight timing and temperature.
If you were confident enough to know what part of your oven is hotter so you can move your cakes around every 20 min, but if you are not sure, then bake the cakes seperatly, so you won´t have to worry.

good luck. let us know

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:24am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2508s42

today I baked 4 eight inch, 1 seven inch and 2 6 inch all at the same time. It was fine. I have a normal, not confection, oven. I ALWAYS bake more than one at a time. Who has time to sit around waiting for each cake? I would be baking 24/7.

I bake assorted sizes at the same time too. Even cupcakes and assorted size cakes.

It helps to know your oven, if it runs hot or cold and I turn the temp up a little bit to about 335 or 340.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:34am
post #10 of 21

Ok , I finally put it to the test. Yes, you can. I bake at home and have a regular oven nothing fancy. So here's what I do, I'll put the bigger cake on the bottom and the smaller one on top. If you can have one on one side and the other on the other side but on different racks your good. I've done it and it works. I used to waste so much time waiting for one to come out then baking the other. Just make sure you time your cake (smaller one) so you can remove when it should be done, then your good. You really won't know if it works for you in your oven until you try it, everyone will always have a different experience. I hope you give it a try.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 12:53am
post #11 of 21

If you can fit 2 or 3 cake pans on the same rack with good air circulation between them, there's no reason not to bake multiple cakes at one time. I used to put the smaller ones in the front so when they finished baking before the bigger ones, I could just take them out, shut the door and let the other cakes finish baking. Just because you put them IN at the same time, doesn't mean they have to come OUT at the same time.

Using 2-layer baking (upper rack and lower rack) .... I think that depends on your oven. It works for some and not for others, so that's one you'll have to play with to see how your oven deals with it.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:16am
post #12 of 21

I think it's really funny that someone else was smart enough to ask this question. I just did it last week and it never even crossed my mind that maybe I shouldn't do it icon_redface.gif

At one time, I baked a small ball pan, wondermold pan, and 2 of the small ovals (from the class 2 Wilton's kit).

Luckily, I was successful. Though my ball pan tilted and dripped batter onto the cake below it icon_biggrin.gif

I also watched the oven like a hawk to pull the smaller ones out first.

Oh, and I forgot to add the water to the cake icon_redface.gif Luckily it was a supermoist recipe.

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:23am
post #13 of 21

I have baked 4 cake at one time. Right now I have 4 9" red velvet layers in the oven. Two on the bottom towards the front of the rack and two on the top towards the back. The first time I tried it was about a year ago when I had two cakes to bake before I could leave for a concert. Now I bake that way all the time. I do turn the temp down to 340 and make sure the pans are not directly over one another. Leave room for the circulation. The cakes on the top shelf bake faster than the cakes on the bottom.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:34am
post #14 of 21

I have baked EIGHT 8x3" rounds at a time in my gas oven when I had a banquet with 100 8" rounds on order. It worked just fine.

Two cakes in a standard home oven will be just fine.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:39am
post #15 of 21

I think that I will give it a try since I have 64 8 inch rounds due next week. I will let you all know how it turns out. Also, do you all use the bake even strips when you are baking your cakes. If not, do you cut off the dome or do you press it down with a paper towel.

Wesha

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:38pm
post #16 of 21

Wow Wesha, what a HUGE order. Are you doing decorations on all of them, or just an assembly line type thing? I would DIE of exhaustion.

cathie_shinnick Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 2:49pm
post #17 of 21

Thank you all soooooo much, the only problem was hat the centers didn't rise as much as the sides did. I always use baking strips, and never have a problem. The only thing I did differently, was use the WASC recipe. I think I should have used a cone. But now tht I know I can bake more that one , my day will be a lot easier..

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 10:57pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2508s42

Wow Wesha, what a HUGE order. Are you doing decorations on all of them, or just an assembly line type thing? I would DIE of exhaustion.

No decorations, thank goodness. They are basic cakes. 16 chocolate, 16 coconut, and 32 caramel.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:46am
post #19 of 21

cathie_shinnick, not sure if that is a characteristic of a WASC cake, but here are some issues that will cause for the center to not rise:

- improper mixing

- butter and eggs wrong temperature

- too much or too little fat

- too little baking powder or baking powder is too old

- oven temperature too hot

I know when it happens to me, it's an oven temperature issue because my oven stinks!

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:07am
post #20 of 21

I just did tonite. I baked a 8 in and a 10 in at the same time...and on the same rack for that matter! I didnt have a problem with it and I have a regular sized oven.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:26am
post #21 of 21

Wow...I have always baked multiple cakes and different sizes together... There would not be enough hours in the day to bake after getting off of work... icon_confused.gif As long they don't touch each other or the sides of the oven, they all seem to do just fine. I do bake in the middle of my oven, but then it's ummm...a bit on the old side...lol icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%