Closed Gift Box Lid??

Decorating By marccrand Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 9:03pm by Cake_Princess

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 2

I've done several gift box cakes, but never with a lid. I've always wanted to try a box with an open lid, but never had time or the right occasion to try it. Now I have a last-minute order for this weekend and the client wants gift boxes with a closed lid.

What's the best way to do this? I think I need to lay a piece of fondant over the finished (bc) cake, but should I measure before or after it's in place? I'm worried that putting it on the cake first will end up with a wavy edge. But if I measure and cut first, I'm sure the fondant will stretch as I put it in place?

Should I make the top and edges out of gumpaste and let them dry on a syrofoam? Then place the whole thing on the cake? I'm not thrilled with having a huge piece of dried gumpaste on top (what a pain to cut!) but I don't know how else to get an even edge with crisp corners.

What has worked best for you? Thanks.

1 reply
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marccrand

I've done several gift box cakes, but never with a lid. I've always wanted to try a box with an open lid, but never had time or the right occasion to try it. Now I have a last-minute order for this weekend and the client wants gift boxes with a closed lid.

What's the best way to do this? I think I need to lay a piece of fondant over the finished (bc) cake, but should I measure before or after it's in place? I'm worried that putting it on the cake first will end up with a wavy edge. But if I measure and cut first, I'm sure the fondant will stretch as I put it in place?

Should I make the top and edges out of gumpaste and let them dry on a syrofoam? Then place the whole thing on the cake? I'm not thrilled with having a huge piece of dried gumpaste on top (what a pain to cut!) but I don't know how else to get an even edge with crisp corners.

What has worked best for you? Thanks.

There's quite a few threads on this topic. If you do a forum search on this topic you will find an extensive array of answers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%