Help I've Got A Wedding Cake With Cream Cheese And Fondant

Decorating By agarcia2222 Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 3:31pm by agarcia2222

agarcia2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agarcia2222 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 11

I need some advice for a wedding cake with cream cheese frosting filling and fondant covered layers. I'm just not sure how to store a cake like this. The cake is for a wedding this Saturday at 6. can I store the layers in the fridge or will the fondant be changed? how far haead should i stack it? I just need some help.

10 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:53am
post #2 of 11

well... I think we can help you but some more information please...

what type of fondant are you using?? MMF or store bought.. if store bought.. what brand is it?

Are you using a filling??? what kind if you are

How many layers and what sizes are they

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:04am
post #3 of 11

Ok, this is what I did.
I had a 4 tier cake, cream cheese frosting, Satin Ice Chocolate Fondant.
I iced the cakes as normal, put in the fridge and covered them on the Sat. morning of the wedding. I stacked the bottom 3 tiers and took the 4th and stacked on site. Then applied all the ribbons, silk flowers and topper. I hope this helps. I did not put into the fridge with the fondant on it.
-Michelle

agarcia2222 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:07am
post #4 of 11

Thank you for the advice. Did your fondant sweat after you removed from the fridge?

agarcia2222 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:51am
post #5 of 11

it's a 6", 10" and 14" cake. Itallian Cream. Cream Cheese frosting for filling, and fondant covered. (bc on the outside just for the fondant to stick) MMF to cover with. Royal icing piping, and fonant leaves. I know I'm going to need lots of supports to hold this baby up. it's a take on Charlotte's cake from sex and the city. I'm really worried about the timeline here. How long can I leave out the cakes, without the filling going bad. If I cover in Fondant, can I still put in the fridge?

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:08am
post #6 of 11

I've put MMF in the fridge before and when it came out it was slimy and gooey. I've put satin ice in the fridge and have had no problems unless its humid that day... I've also made plenty of cakes using cream cheese frosting and have not refridgerated them... For my own personal use! before anyone jumps down my throat and tells me I'm going to poison my friends icon_biggrin.gif but I've read on here a few times that some people leave cream cheese icing at room temp for a day or two with no problems at all, especially in cooler weather.

stephaniescakenj Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:10am
post #7 of 11

I just had a thought as I was hitting post reply. what if you use one of those sleeves of premade filling. They make a cream cheese one that isn't refridgerated.

agarcia2222 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:15am
post #8 of 11

The bride is pretty well stuck on my recipe, she said she like the flavor. I live in a pretty dry climate. I wasn't sure what is the right thing to do when it comes to cream cheese. Thanks for the advice. Can I ask how much cream cheese was in your frosting. I think if I fill and cover it tomorrow I'll be fine, but since this is my first tiered cake with cream cheese, i'm afraid if i hit any snags, and wait until Saturday to pipe I might make a mistake and end up rushing and the cake might not look correct. This is so confusing. Does any of this make sense?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:32am
post #9 of 11

okay.... the cream cheese frosting will need to be kept in the fridg. I would go ahead and get your cakes all done, except for fondant so that you can keep it in the fridg. Then tomorrow night, or whenever you want to, put the fondant on it. MMF can't go in the fridg.... from what I have heard/read on this site. I only use Satin Ice which can go in the fridg. I have read that the fondant seals the cake and all underneath. If your home is not real warm, I would think that your cake will be okay. I would like for someone else to chime in to either agree or disagree with this part though.

stephaniescakenj Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:01am
post #10 of 11

My cream cheese frosting uses 8 oz cream cheese, 1 stick of butter and a pound of confectioners sugar with a splash of vanilla. Sometimes I add a tiny bit of lemon juice if it tastes too sweet. I usually double or triple it depending on the size of cake I'm making. I've left it out for a few days and have never had a problem so I would say go for it. Come to think of it, I don't have a microwave and when i've made the icing, I've left the block of cream cheese sitting on the counter for a few hours or overnight to make sure it's nice and soft when I go to use it so I really think it will be fine for 24 hours. Just make sure that you store in as cool and dry a place as you can.

agarcia2222 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 11

I think you gusy are right. I'm going to fill and cover with bc and store in fridge until I get all the fondant made. then i'll just simply cover and decorate as I go. Thank you so much for all your help. I'll let you know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%