My Days At Sam's Club!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By sugarcheryl Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 1:59am by kandu001

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:55am
post #1 of 18

I know we have discussed about working at Sams Club. But I really need help. I just got word that our bakery just threw away like $3,000 worth of baked goods. Right now we are in the dog house sortof speak. One my team lead tells me I need to get faster. They constantly tell us what we are not doing. So I asked is there any way of showing us how to do better? Nobody wants to keep failing. She said she was going to show us what our products are to look like. I'm having trouble getting all my work done in the time period that I am schedule. I'm the only full time and 2 part time but they been getting more hours and all other part timers. I'm at a lost. I'm suppose to keep the front fully stock and no holes in our showcase, check for out of date stuff, keep up with production,during clean up must clean the empty icing buckets, clean our tools and area,the products thats out of date scan out and through away. Oh answer phone, take orders and tend to members. In all of that we are to take our breaks sometimes if we do we will fall behind and it's not just the cake decorators but the bakers are having a time. Its 13 of us total in the bakery and we are still having trouble. I don't get it. I'm sorry for this be so long but I need some advice. They keep threaten us about our jobs. Frankly I'm at a point you what you must but a lot of people are frustrated.

17 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:20am
post #2 of 18

It will get better! Whenever you start something new, it's always hard at first. Just hang in there and you will learn quickly. And soon, you will be able to do all of that! Goodluck!

DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:54am
post #3 of 18

Hi Sugar, hang tough, use the abuse,that all corporate stores,put their employees thru as a learning tool. THEN take that knowlage and offer your services to a real bakery !!Earn and learn. Good luck and keep your chin up, Derrell

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:54am
post #4 of 18

Why is it your fault product is not selling? These are tough times.....people don't have extra money for 'frill' food like bakery products! If the products were thrown out because they were poorly made/didn't look good &/or taste good that's one thing; if they just didn't sell that's another.
How long have you been working there?
Supervisors will keep pushing and pushing you so you don't take your breaks but *it's the law* that youshould get them.... If you don't you can complain to proper authorities (not sure who, union?).

sugarcheryl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:19am
post #5 of 18

Thanks everyone. This is the first time working in a place like this so I didn't know this is how corporate operated at least in this area so they are all the same. The store just open Oct 23 it's been only 3 weeks. But what you all have said makes sense. For as the law Kakeladi they tell us that we must take our breaks but if the work doesn't get done then what. It's like they try to create fear that if you don't comply you will be terminated. But I'm not going to quit that is what they will have to do is let me go because I'm good and I will not let them bully me. Again thanks. thumbs_up.gif

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:33am
post #6 of 18

If the store is that new, chances are they OVERBAKED as they really aren't sure what their production should be yet...and heck, don't they get a tax thing on stuff they throw out anyway? Hang in there cuz it will get easier and yes it is the law --you have to take your breaks. There will probably be more bumps in the road, but it will get better! icon_smile.gif Good luck to ya

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:57am
post #7 of 18

As far as they being PITAs it's a lack of managerial experience. They are worried about their jobs. They are under stress to get sales going, but have no clue as how to do it. So they go on the attack. They think this will solve the issue, but frankly it only makes it worse.

As for product you should have 10-12 minutes for a cake. That is plenty of time if you have stuff in order. Have all of your bags, color, everything ready to go. Once you start a cake you shouldn't have to leave it till it's done.

Mike

sugarcheryl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:45pm
post #8 of 18

I agree mike1394 and there are a lot of new managers in these position and it's coming down from central office. So it should take me only 10-12 minutes on a cake. Okay I'm going to start timing myself what about full sheet cakes? That's not including the prep work. I don't think our set up is good. No organization. First our team lead tells us to work it among ourself then she will come in and switch things and tell us what to do which ends up getting everything off. It's like we are all over the place.

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 18

I don't get it. They threaten you with your job, and then they say you're not working fast enough and they don't have enough help? What would actually happen if they did fire you? Then they'd really be up the creek without a paddle. I won't go off on my Walmart/Sam's rant, but I can't stand it when big companies like that bully their employees. You deserve better than that! I wish you the best of luck.

Mike1394 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcheryl

I agree mike1394 and there are a lot of new managers in these position and it's coming down from central office. So it should take me only 10-12 minutes on a cake. Okay I'm going to start timing myself what about full sheet cakes? That's not including the prep work. I don't think our set up is good. No organization. First our team lead tells us to work it among ourself then she will come in and switch things and tell us what to do which ends up getting everything off. It's like we are all over the place.

Yeah I would say 10-12 mins. if you have all your stuff, frosting made, colored frosting. Then slap some on the sides slap some on top comb the sides. Smooth the top, not glass smooth, then pipe top & bottom, then slap some stuff over the combing poof yr done. The ones that are the same color do you do them at the same time. Like if your doing the lovely blue color icon_biggrin.gif The cakes that have that color do all of them at one time.

Mike

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 18

Hi Sugar!

So I havn't worked in a cake bakery, but I have managed a couple a general baked goods bakeries. First off, what is the chain of command? Are you the boss? If so you need to set things the way YOU want them and then teach everyone to work around that. If things are were you think they should be, then when you have to trian, it will be easier for you down the line. If you are not the one in charge, learn what those about you want. Every manager is different and it can be hard when you have to report to different people every day. What I have found works best is if you learn everyones style of managing and then go from there. If it seems that you are always bumping heads with someone, try to talk to them on a friendly level, "Hey, I am not really sure what you need from me. Can we go over this together?" That kind of thing.

Now, I am assuming that you are the boss here. Next you need to look at what your staff is doing. In every mix of people, some like doing one thing, others like doing another and some don't really want to do anything at all. Get those people out of there! Then divide up the tasks. Some times as managers we feel that because we are in charge, we have to do it all. You have to trust in your people that they will do the right thing, and guide them to what you need them to do. Also, if everyone has one thing that they are to do, then when its not done, you know who to go after. You will also want to incourge speed and get on those that are slow.

After that, why did you have to write off so much food? I once worked at a bakery where we had to do a morning bake. We made everything we needed for the morning rush. Then starting at 10am we had to count how much product we had on hand. We would count every hour on the hour. Then we would bake/stock those areas and keep going. You need to track sales and set pars. If you only sell a couple of one item in a week, don't many of them out. If you set pars, everyone know how many are suppose to be there.

I don't know if any of that helps. I hope it gets better. My mom worked at walmart for a couple years in the jewelery department. It was the same thing, there was too much to do, not enough people and she would get yelled at for going overtime/skipping break. Don't skip your breaks, but I know how you feel!

Mike1394 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingmadcow

Hi Sugar!
After that, why did you have to write off so much food? I once worked at a bakery where we had to do a morning bake. We made everything we needed for the morning rush. Then starting at 10am we had to count how much product we had on hand. We would count every hour on the hour. Then we would bake/stock those areas and keep going. You need to track sales and set pars. If you only sell a couple of one item in a week, don't many of them out. If you set pars, everyone know how many are suppose to be there.
!

That's what amazed me. That is A LOT of $20 cakes. You might want to suggest to donate them to a food bank. That way they will still get credit in the way of a tax write off.

Mike

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:39pm
post #13 of 18

This is off topic a little, and I don't understand tax law at all, but I was under the impression that if you are buying ingredients tax free you can't get another tax break by donating the unsold merchandise. Does anyone know about this or does it vary by state?

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 18

icon_biggrin.gif

sweet_T7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_T7 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:36pm
post #15 of 18

Don't know about Sam's club, but Walmart does not donate their unsold merchandise

sugarcheryl Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:26pm
post #16 of 18

I heard that Sams sometimes does but for the most part they throw it away.

Mike1394 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:09pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

This is off topic a little, and I don't understand tax law at all, but I was under the impression that if you are buying ingredients tax free you can't get another tax break by donating the unsold merchandise. Does anyone know about this or does it vary by state?

I've never heard that before. I would think you would still get a break because the charity is a 501c3, and your donating a manufactured item.

Mike

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:59am
post #18 of 18

Publix used to donate their unsold merchandise many years ago, but has stopped because (as rumor tells it) they were sued by a person they donated to. Kind of sad that they were being nice enough to feed the people in need and one of them took advantage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%