Lungs Hurting After Airbrushing?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 12:37am by Carolynlovescake

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:56am
post #1 of 14

I did quite a bit of silver airbrushing last night and while I generally have had some mild problems at night with heart palps and some shortness of breath (hormonal I think) I noticed today my lungs hurt...I'm wondering if I breathed in a little too much luster dust.

Do you guys use masks for airbrushing? Anyone ever get sore lungs?

13 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:03am
post #2 of 14

I guess this could happen. I try to wear a mask when I airbrush. Because it does go EVERYWHERE! Last week i did about an hour of airbrushing with a mask on and I still have orange up my nose.....

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:13am
post #3 of 14

my first time using an airbrush and I was sneezing pink for days! If it weren't for that I wouldn't have thought to wear a mask, but I sure do now. I would say definately could be from all that airbrushing.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:19am
post #4 of 14

Not to scare you, but to caution you, I heard from somebody that took a class at Cake Camp last July that the instructor warned about such problems especially when using metallics. I believe the instructor said she had developed asthma from such frequent use of her airbrush. Definitely use a mask. It might not give 100% protection, but every bit helps.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:20am
post #5 of 14

Thinking back I actually remember taking a big breath and tasting the stuff and then I pulled my shirt over my nose for awhile but of course that doesn't work when you are trying to turn a turntable and airbrush at the same time!

I guess I probably inhaled some dust. I need to get a mask.

Kitagrl Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:21am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Not to scare you, but to caution you, I heard from somebody that took a class at Cake Camp last July that the instructor warned about such problems especially when using metallics. I believe the instructor said she had developed asthma from such frequent use of her airbrush. Definitely use a mask. It might not give 100% protection, but every bit helps.

Thanks! I already have a very mild asthma (grew out of most of it) and so I need to be more careful. A mask just is one of those things I never think about when I'm at the store. Going to write it down now!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:43am
post #7 of 14

Sounds like you're going to set off a metal detector. icon_wink.gif Go to Lowes and buy some of those white masks. If you dont want to - try a bandanna. I totally sympathize with you. Even when I use a towel over the KA when making frostings when I add the PS - my sinuses always get me no matter how careful I am. If you are using metallic airbrush colors always ...always...always wear a mask. Metals, once in your body, are hard to get out - hence all the controversy on "edible or not."
Check with your doc if lung symptoms get worse. To get through this time (esp since its getting colder/dryer outside which doesnt help), use saline mist nasal spray and try a humidifier at bedtime - this may help a little to get it "out."

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:01am
post #8 of 14

I notice the problem more when I use petal dust. If you are prone to asthma already- then definately use a mask. You could also put a box fan facing away from you and your cake to suck the dust away. Put up one of those science project trifold boards behind the fan to "catch" the color from the fan. (you could also set up a flat area on your stove top and use your vent fan the same way)

I know inhaling it can affect you- one time I was 'cleaning" a rose that I put too much color on- I was trying to do it with everclear. My husband called me, and later told me I GIGGLED on the phone..I was Toasted!
So no- I don't drink alcohol- I inhale!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 14

I actually also have safety goggles to avoid getting it in my eyes or on my glasses.

I have never not used a mask and safety goggles with my airbrush.

If it's a metallic I do the mask with a bandana over it.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 14

beware of the cleaner...which is what always gets me!!

i have the blue stuff from kopycake, and it is horrible for misting up into your lungs when cleaning under the faucet. i put a dishtowel over my nose and mouth when doing it, and then have to walk away when done, because it seems to just hang in the air.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

I actually also have safety goggles to avoid getting it in my eyes or on my glasses.

I have never not used a mask and safety goggles with my airbrush.

If it's a metallic I do the mask with a bandana over it.

LOL, Carolyn, when you get chosen for the member spotlight, will you please use that as your picture?? I got the giggles thinking of someone with their head all outfitted with safety gear for airbrushing. icon_biggrin.gif
---

That airbrush cleaner gets me too. I don't wear a mask when airbrushing because my face is pretty far away from the cake and thus don't get groovy-colored nose goblins anymore but man, that airbrush cleaner is noxious stuff when it gets aerosolized.

I should definitely wear a mask when petal dusting gumpaste flowers, though. I do get that stuff in my nose.

Carolynlovescake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

LOL, Carolyn, when you get chosen for the member spotlight, will you please use that as your picture??

yeah right like THAT will ever happen!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:

Quote:

LOL, Carolyn, when you get chosen for the member spotlight, will you please use that as your picture??

Which? The photo or the nomination? icon_biggrin.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:37am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Quote:

Quote:

Which? The photo or the nomination? icon_biggrin.gif

The nomination.

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%