Wasc? Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Decorating By bprwatson Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 3:13pm by sgauta

bprwatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bprwatson Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 7

This is the first time that i've used the WASC, from what i've read i know its a moist dense cake. I'm a little worried about my cakes though. I baked most of them last friday, i cooked them for a long time because the toothpick never came out clean, even after over an hour (for a 12 in round). I just assumed it was that it was because the cake was so moist. I'm finishing making the 10 inch rounds today and am having the same problem. Is it ok if there are some crumbs still clining to the toothpick? I was concerned still so i cut up one of the 10inch cakes and it doesn't look doughy, it is pretty dense though. I'm now worried about the cakes in the freezer since freezing them usually makes them even more moist when they thaw. I don't want soggy cakes. Is it just how this cake is? I have no idea since i've never made it before.

6 replies
jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 7

my toothpicks never come out completely clean when i make the wasc cake. as long as it's not still wet, i wouldn't worry about having some crumbs on the toothpick.

you're going to love this cake, it's yummy!! good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 7

Which recipe are you using? There are many different versions of WASC.
A few crumbs on a toothpick when baking any cake is not an indication it is not completely bakes.
If you bake w/you nose you shouldn't have any problems. By that I mean when you start to smell it throught the kitchen/house usually it is done. If the cake has pulled away from the sides of the pan it is definately done if not overdone.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:51am
post #4 of 7

I always use the baking strips when I bake a cake and some times the flower nail and I never have that problem anymore, before I had the same problem.
I hope it helps icon_wink.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:41am
post #5 of 7

I have used my *original* recipe for WASC cakes over 20 yrs and almost never use either strips or a nail to bake even my biggest layers (16").

Memie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Memie Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 7

This is why I like to torte my cakes. It gives me a chance to make sure they are done. I did a cake for a luncheon recently and they did not want it torted. I was so nervous until they cut it and I saw that it was done. I always use baking strips.

sgauta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgauta Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 7

LOVE the WASC cake! I usually have a few crumbs too -- I'd rather slightly underbake and let them firm up while they cool in the pans for a few minutes than overbake completely. As someone else said, when you bake enough you know when it's done based on the smell. That's why I couldn't really say how long the WASC should take...I always use my nose! icon_biggrin.gif

`Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%