Just A Quick Question?

Decorating By amykingsafer Updated 4 Nov 2008 , 4:42am by AlamoSweets

amykingsafer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amykingsafer Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 5

I know you are suppose to put icing on a cake before you put on the fondant, but how thick should the icing be?

4 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 5

some say just a crumb coat....

i put about 1/4 inch.... but don't know if that is "right"

Too much and your top edges will look rounded...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 5

from one fondant newbie to another .... I just did my first full-fondant covered cake this past weekend (in pics). First, I just crumb coated it and when I put the white fondant on it, I could see the cake and the cake lines (i.e. I could see the two layers) thru the fondant. A quick call to a fellow CC'er for advice, and I took the fondant off, iced the cake in a normal amount of bc, then put the fondant back on. Looked MUCH better!

I'm no fondant expert by a long shot ... just sharing my first experience in doing it! thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:32am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amykingsafer

I know you are suppose to put icing on a cake before you put on the fondant, but how thick should the icing be?

I use the same amount of buttercream I would normally use if i am not using fondant. I think you end up with a nicer finish this way. Plus, if a person hates fondant they can peel it off and still be able to enjoy the cake with icing.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:42am
post #5 of 5

I too put on the normal amount of BC frosting as it wasn't going to be covered with fondant. I like to make sure everyone has frosting with their cake plus it makes it so much easier to smooth everything out and less likely to tear. The edges are always going to be a little rounded with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%