Transporting Cakes

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 9:43pm by sillywabbitz

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 14

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how you transport your cakes. i think that a 3 or 4 tier wedding cake would be transported in single cake boxes and assembled at the venue but how about 2 tier birthday cakes? Do you allow people to pick them up in two seperate tiers with instructions on how to assemble or are there large cake boxes that would fit two tiers?

Thanks!!

13 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 14

I use SPS , so I can transport whatever I can lift. (already assembled. I try to assemble as little as possible onsite. I never box. And yes customers can pick up a three tier cake, fully assembled from me. SPS was created for just that sort of thing.

Cathy26 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 14

So, a customer would just pick up the 2 or 3 tier cake from you on a cake board and put it in the car? ideally thats what i would want to happen as i work full time so i couldnt take the cakes to the site most of the time.

Cathy26 Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 14

Bump icon_biggrin.gif

Reem0211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reem0211 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 4:09am
post #5 of 14

Sorry I'm a newbie but what does a SPS mean?

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 5:30am
post #6 of 14

SPS: Single Plate System. Leahs has a thread about it at the top of this forum!!

Reem0211 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you Sarsi! I bought one of those transporters for cakes from Michaels. Love it!

Sarsi Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 14

What did you get???

Reem0211 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 14

I got the ultimate Cake Caddy from Michaels. I haven't tried it out yet but my teacher told me that it was a good idea for cakes with decorations that it was high and wide enough and if I put a piece of a place mat (you know those sticky kind from the dollar store) that it shouldn't move.

She did also advise that just putting one of those pieces of place mats in your car and putting the cake on top if it, would work too but I didn't want to take any chances.

It cost about $12. Good investment I would think.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reem0211

I got the ultimate Cake Caddy from Michaels. I haven't tried it out yet but my teacher told me that it was a good idea for cakes with decorations that it was high and wide enough and if I put a piece of a place mat (you know those sticky kind from the dollar store) that it shouldn't move.

She did also advise that just putting one of those pieces of place mats in your car and putting the cake on top if it, would work too but I didn't want to take any chances.

It cost about $12. Good investment I would think.

Got my caddy from Joanns - works great when I need to deliver a cake.

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 14

If a customer is picking up the cake from me then it will be fully assembled on cake boards or plywood (depending on how heavy the cake is) and in a cake box if possible.

If a cust is getting a mulitple tier cake then I will deliver it if I can, otherwise I strongly recommend to the cust to bring someone with them to help them while transporting.

I always make my hubby drive so I can carry the cake on my lap & compensate for stops & turns & such. My loving hubby also built me a mulitple section cake carrying platform for heavy/awkward cakes that I am delivering. Here's a pic of a cake on part of the carrier, not a very good pic though. icon_confused.gif

The silver latches you see on the sides allow me to put this carrier plus another duplicate carrier into a larger frame & latch everything together to create one large platform that will support a full size sheet cake. (18"x24")
LL

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsi

SPS: Single Plate System. Leahs has a thread about it at the top of this forum!!

What do you mean? Where? icon_confused.gif Sorry, I'm a little slow.

Sarsi Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 9:28pm
post #13 of 14

OH...I see what you're talking about now!! Yes, I remember seeing those at JoAnns...

MIllermom....go to the How Do I? forum, and look at the top of the list...Leahs has some instructions on how to use the SPS system...

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 9:43pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I use SPS , so I can transport whatever I can lift. (already assembled. I try to assemble as little as possible onsite. I never box. And yes customers can pick up a three tier cake, fully assembled from me. SPS was created for just that sort of thing.

Hey Leah, I know you're a great advocate of the SPS system.
Do you just add the cost into the cost of the cake and your customers just trash it , do you get a deposit and have them return it.

Just curious logistically how you use SPS for all your big cakesicon_smile.gif

It looks like such a great system. I'm always amazed on the cake shows that more of the prof. bakers don't use it. When you get $800 for a reasonably small cake the extr $$ for the support system seems worth while.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%