Help Finding Links For Consultations

Business By tirby Updated 28 Oct 2008 , 2:43am by jlsheik

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 4

I know I have seen the subject on here many times but cant seem to find much now. Did they get lost in the crash?? Anyway looking for advice. My last consultation did not go "as planned" I needed time to get back with the bride and family (who all wanted something different) Monkies hearts and northern lights!? anyway, I just need to find some info. If they want more than a basic cake like say gumpaste flowers or string work...... do you have all the info on the top of your head? Do you get back with them on a final price after giving them an "aprox amount"
I mean I had to do a lot of research on this to figure out how to get a good design...... ugh...
any one know where to find the threads???

3 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 4

I do pretty basic stuff (no stringwork here) so I am not really one to answer this but again, I always suggest to call around to see what the going rate is at bakeries so you have something to base it off of. I think once you do that a few times, you will have an idea of what to charge

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:20am
post #3 of 4

What info are you looking for? Your subject line led me to think you needed help on how to do a consultation, but your post sounds more like you are looking for how to price a cake? icon_confused.gif

re: the approx vs actual quote ..... I always email my quotes to the brides after the consultation. I show them what we've worked up and since I'm a flat-fee cake person, it rarely changes between consultation and email. But sometimes, on the catering side, I need to check a price and get back with them. So any price we discuss at the meeting is an approx-price, subject to change once I do the research. The quote I send them in writing is the quote I am held to.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:43am
post #4 of 4

I do it pretty much the same as Indy...I usually have a sampling and I have a wedding packet for the bride...that consists of my price list, basic ordering info, and my wedding policy contract. I try to give them a final price but most of the time I e-mail or call with it.
I am booking for things next summer so I do a hold the date deposit and we don't do any prices until 4 or 5 months before the date.
If it takes more than one consult with me ( because they are clueless as to what they want) then I charge for the 2nd consult.

But do your homework and find out what the going rate is around you. Because I am sure they know, they have called around!! ;o)
Laura

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%