Need Help With Halloween/birthday Cake Idea - No Budget!

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm by Susie53

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 25 Oct 2008 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 25

I cannot think of what to do for this cake! It's for a guy who's turning 38. He loves chocolate & black licorice. His birthday is on Halloween. They said he's never had a birthday cake before in his life! (He didn't even know when his real birthday was 'til a few years ago.) (long story)

Anyway, they want to amaze him (and so do I after hearing that) with this cake! Whatever I want to do - and money's no concern.

But it's only for 5-10 people (but it's ok if there's extras).

Help me!

Maybe a large pumpkin with fall leaves around it? A large trick-or-treat bag with candy (including black licorice) coming out of it? I need ideas?!

OH, and it's due Wednesday morning! I do NOT want to be up all night on Tuesday to do this! I'm tired of all nighters!!

Thanks for any help! I'd love to see pics of fav Halloween cakes too! icon_smile.gif

24 replies
amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:08am
post #2 of 25

How about a spider web across the entire top with a big spider and then little spiders dangling down the sides?

Like to bake? enter a cake! www.cakeshow.org

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:11am
post #3 of 25

I think if it's his first celebrated birthday with a cake, you might just try celebrating birthday instead of halloween/birthday? Just a thought. I know people that have there birthdays on holidays and want it seperate not combined.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any ideas for you. Any sports or hobbies he is interested in? I would start there.

Good luck

Jessica

mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:17am
post #4 of 25

Seagoat - I know what you mean. I asked the people ordering, and they said Halloween though. I could do a more "fall" type cake too probably.

I asked about sports & didn't really get a response. (I was thinking a baseball cap would be the perfect size for something like this!)

Amie - thanks for the idea!

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:20am
post #5 of 25

yes my dh's birthday is on Christmas Eve, never had a birthday party growing up everyone was busy, you know you can even by two in one cards "for you Holiday birthday", So as not to feel ripped off we always make sure his birthday cake is all birthday and absolutely no christmas paper used to wrap birthday presents

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:21am
post #6 of 25

I love the idea of a trick or treat bag...maybe one of those jack o lantern shaped "treat bags" or something....and lots of candy and esp black licorice, spilling out of the top.

You can put, "Hope your Birthday is a Treat!"

Cute idea!

I have a Halloween wedding cake in my photos but its big....

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:33am
post #7 of 25

You know what I would do is make 38 mini cakes to look like different birthday cakes and then stack them all together. That way he gets caught up on all his birthdays. Make the last cake, 38th the most elaborate.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:35am
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

You know what I would do is make 38 mini cakes to look like different birthday cakes and then stack them all together. That way he gets caught up on all his birthdays. Make the last cake, 38th the most elaborate.

That's an adorable idea....but she said they only need like 8-10 servings....bummer huh.

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 12:49am
post #9 of 25

If you want to do a simple cake you can just do a round chocolate cake or even square one & use the black licorice as your outside icing (like the piroline cakes) & on the top either use candy or just frost & add a few pumpkins & write happy birthday... Tie the cake with an orange ribbon...
These cake are very simple & very quick to put together good luck!
Post pics thumbs_up.gif

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 3:28am
post #10 of 25

How about a festive present cake but in halloween colors? That way it's more birthday than halloween-ie, but still in the spirit. You could do a mini "stack" (8" & 4") for added height/drama.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 26 Oct 2008 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Quote:

He loves chocolate & black licorice. His birthday is on Halloween. They said he's never had a birthday cake before in his life!

Since he has never had a birthday celebration, he more than likely doesn't have a problem with combining Halloween and his birthday. How about a ghost cake with write "Have a Spooktacular Birthday." I was going to link a Girl ghost birthday cake but the Gallery is being strange. It is on the first page under halloween. Skip the pink bow and candy corn and add some licorice spiders. It was a 3 layer 6 inch cake with a dome at top for the round top. That will be a bit larger than needed but not huge.

edited to add link
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1280319

mom2spunkynbug Posted 27 Oct 2008 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 25

Ok, due in two days & I still don't know what I'm doing! I'm thinking either the trick-or-treat bag, or the present....

I'm not sure how I would do the bag (so the edges are sticking up higher than the cake)....

But I'm also not sure how to do the present (with the "lid")...I've never done that...

Any advice would be appreciated so much!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:40am
post #13 of 25

For a present cake lid look just pipe anbother band of icing from the quick icer tip OR w/fondant add a 'ribbon' of fondant at the top.

For the bag w/edge taller than cake again fondant OR a choco wrap.
For the choco wrap......use a strip of aluminum foil as wide as you want the strip to be; spread smoothly w/melted choco; let it set up until it is no longer runny but not stiff and wrap aound thecake. Peel off the foil.

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #14 of 25

I did a ghost cake last weekend, and a pumpkin and ghost cake combo this weekend (got the idea from a cc'er but can't find my pic in my faves to give the props to) The Ghost is very easy. i just used 2 6inchers and the 1/2 ball. and it fed about 12-15 servings if i remember correctly! good luck!! can't wait to see what you come up with!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 1:54pm
post #15 of 25

For a fondant box/package use a rectangle of fondant for the sides. Height of the cake x 4 times the width (ie. a 8 inch square that was 4 inches high would be a 4" x 32" rectangle) Wrap that around the sides with the seam in the middle of a side- the seam will be covered by the ribbon. For the top or lid, roll out a square 2 inches larger than the 8 inch square-ie. 10 inches. Clip a one inch square out of each corner (this miters the corners) lay the top on the cake, use shortening to seam the corners smooth. Add ribbon. I haven't done this myself but Christeena does it this way, and I believe I have her measurements correct.

Pastelitoz4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastelitoz4u Posted 28 Oct 2008 , 11:34pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovigirl

If you want to do a simple cake you can just do a round chocolate cake or even square one & use the black licorice as your outside icing (like the piroline cakes) & on the top either use candy or just frost & add a few pumpkins & write happy birthday... Tie the cake with an orange ribbon...
These cake are very simple & very quick to put together good luck!
Post pics thumbs_up.gif

I'm with jovigirl......I mean....It will be simple but a fun cake to do and he will love and appreciate it, I know you want to make it special for him and go over the top, but he has not had a birthday cake before and I think that any cake what ever you decide to do will thrill him. Don't go stressing, just have fun and remember the important issue is that you will make someone that has not had a birthday cake before very happy. thumbs_up.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 9:29pm
post #17 of 25

Thanks again everyone!

I decided to do the present cake. I got a call from the guy who ordered it & he said the guy was totally blown away! He loved the cake & it was so good icon_smile.gif
LL

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:04am
post #18 of 25

awesome... icon_smile.gif

not too halloween... but nice and masculine icon_smile.gif

brilliant.

adavis4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adavis4 Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:20am
post #19 of 25

just wanted to say, wow! you did a great job! thumbs_up.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:28am
post #20 of 25

Very pretty...nice job.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:47am
post #21 of 25

Yu sure did a great job on it. Isn't it great to know it was well accepted? Nice going.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:53pm
post #22 of 25

Thanks guys! icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah, it's great to know that he loved it! icon_smile.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:10pm
post #23 of 25

It turned out soooo great!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:43pm
post #24 of 25

Sweet!!!!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #25 of 25

Nice job, very pretty too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%