Icing Cakes To Be Stacked, What Size Boards?

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 15 Oct 2008 , 6:25pm by JoAnnB

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 3

OK, I'm on vacation (yea!) and I'm playing cake this week. I haven't done many stacked cakes so I'm working on a 3 tier square stacked design. The stacked cakes need to be the same size as their boards. I don't know how to ice a cake that is the same size as the board. How do you do that? I don't want any of the board to show. I just gave up on my smallest cake because I couldn't ice it. I guess my board was too small.

2 replies
renee2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renee2007 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 3

I haven't done that many stacked cakes either. I'm still learning. but, I have always used the same size board,(maybe a bit smaller) as the cake and iced over the cake board. I always put a border on so if there is any board showing it will be covered by the border. hope this helped icon_smile.gif

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 3

usually, the board should be the same as the base of the cake layer (for between the tiers). I put that on a turntable or movable surface. Ice the cake to cover the board, or if there is a significant border, you can just ice down to the board.

when you go to stack them, pick the layer up with a large spatula under the board. I have an extra large one just for this. or lift it from the turntable and use your fingers.

The bottom tier should be on a board no smaller than 2" more than the largest tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%