Eww......gross Frosting. Help!!

Decorating By MolliHeartsDecoratingCake Updated 17 Oct 2008 , 3:44pm by cupcakeco

MolliHeartsDecoratingCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MolliHeartsDecoratingCake Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 15

k.. so I got a call couple days ago from this old lady saying her husband (old guy) needed a cake. That just dandy. Turns out, the lady make cakes for a live, as do we all, but was too busy planning the party so couldn't make it herself....

Here is the catch: She wanted to make frosting and make me us it. I said that's fine, less work for me. As it turns out, she had never made frosting before and just kinda did it with out trying it or anything. (she never made frosting...so she just bought it for forever?) I got the frosting and she told me that i had to use this frosting. I HAD TO. When i tried some, I was DISCUSTING. I almost threw up. I tasted like solid butter with brown dye. Now, i want to use it, but I NEED TO FIX IT. Is there anyway to fix a icing with out making it over???

HELP!![/img]

14 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 15

She made what she liked (or wanted, instead of providing her usual purchased frosting) so if you alter it - she might not like your changes.

If it's a meringue b/c, some do think they taste like sweetened butter......

Unless you absolutely can't decorate with the frosting, the responsibility for the taste is all on her.
(You did agree to use what she provided.)

If you wish to doctor her frosting or use a different frosting, it'll be necessary to get the customer's approval.....

HTH

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 15

crappy situation but I say if the stuff will spread, then use what she gave you. She can't exactly complain about it, can she? I'm sure she at least tasted it before she sent it off... but it is very weird that this is her first frosting attempt. VERY weird.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 15

Sorry since you don't like the taste doesn't mean you get to change it. Use what she gave you

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 15

I agree, use what she gave you. If you alter it, I think you may be asking for trouble. It's one of those things in life that we have to do that we really don't want to. Good luck!

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 15

I don't get it [scratching head]. I don't understand at all why someone who has never made frosting before would insist that you use her first trial batch. Maybe she wants to blame the disaster on YOU and ruin your good reputation??? Because when people ask who made the cake, she's going to point to YOU.

I'd be tempted to call her up and say, "hey - did you realize this stuff is NASTY??? Did you taste it? Are you sure you want me to use this stuff?"

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 15

Could she have maybe made it low sugar because of diabetes or something? I can't imagine why she wouldn't want you to use your tried and true icing over hers aside from something like that.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 15

you have to use it, but i would attach alittle card with the cake- so you dont scare off potiental customers at the party.
it could say something like:
the kind of cake, and frosting provided by: her name.
idk, this is a toughy

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 15

Can you call her and tell her that the icing tastes a little odd to you, and that maybe it's because you're used to another type of icing, is she sure she wants you to use that one or can you offer to use your own?

If she was busy or distracted with other things, maybe she mixed up some ingredients or even used salt instead of sugar? Sometimes happens. icon_smile.gif

krispy1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krispy1976 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 15

I would have never taken the order, Its all my recipe or none. If the wrong person herd that you made the cake and did not care for the frosting its your name in the dirt.....Not always do people explain that you just did the cake vis-versa. Just my opinion

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:41am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie59

I don't get it [scratching head]. I don't understand at all why someone who has never made frosting before would insist that you use her first trial batch. Maybe she wants to blame the disaster on YOU and ruin your good reputation??? Because when people ask who made the cake, she's going to point to YOU.

I'd be tempted to call her up and say, "hey - did you realize this stuff is NASTY??? Did you taste it? Are you sure you want me to use this stuff?"

Did it ever occur to you that the lady was absolutely proud of her 1st batch of icing and figured it was good enough to use? It's like being a newbie to cake decorating. You (generalizing) make a cake and you think it's absolutely spectacular and you want everyone to see it. However on the grand scheme of things the cake really is not that good. Give the poor lady a break. We all have to start somewhere.

As for the original poster, you should have declined to use the frosting from the get go not after you agreed to use it.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 6:44am
post #12 of 15

Cake_Princess, it states this at the start, so she's not a newbie to decorating:

Quote:
Quote:

Turns out, the lady make cakes for a live, as do we all, but was too busy planning the party so couldn't make it herself....

I would think that if this lady made cakes for a living, this should not be her first batch, and she should know enough to make a frosting that tastes good to the majority.

I agree, though, use it because you've already agreed to this. I wouldn't have. It would have been all mine to make from finish to end.

JMHO icon_biggrin.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 1:44am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisD13

Cake_Princess, it states this at the start, so she's not a newbie to decorating:

Quote:
Quote:

Turns out, the lady make cakes for a live, as do we all, but was too busy planning the party so couldn't make it herself....

I would think that if this lady made cakes for a living, this should not be her first batch, and she should know enough to make a frosting that tastes good to the majority.

I agree, though, use it because you've already agreed to this. I wouldn't have. It would have been all mine to make from finish to end.

JMHO icon_biggrin.gif

There are quite a few people that make coffee cakes and other type or cakes that do not require making frosting. Who knows she may only be use to making glace icings. Just add water and some flavoring and drizzle on.

In addition the original poster stated this lady never made frosting before. There are quite a few icings that I have tried and I don't like and other people think they are fantastic and vice versa. We all have ideas of what taste good to us.

Anyways, the point remains we should not be putting down this lady for giving it a try. I have more respect for people that make the effort than those that don't. And yes I still stand by my opinion that the original poster should have declined to use the frosting from the start.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 2:02am
post #14 of 15

[quote="l_m_mena"]Can you call her and tell her that the icing tastes a little odd to you, and that maybe it's because you're used to another type of icing, is she sure she wants you to use that one or can you offer to use your own?

I was just about to say the same thing.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 17 Oct 2008 , 3:44pm
post #15 of 15

If they are an elderly couple I would think it a possibility that the frosting was made to exacting specifications (perhaps for a dietary or medical reason such as diabetes). Please don't replace/doctor this frosting on your own accord. If you think something is seriously wrong with it, I would call your customer and double check that it is okay to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%