Convection Oven Questions

Business By Sweet_Guys Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 9:26pm by Sweet_Guys

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 42

Is there information, either here on Cake Central or out on the web, that shows the differences between baking cakes with a conventional oven versus a convection oven?

I am assuming that the cooking times and temperatures in the Wilton yearbooks are for electric conventional ovens.

Anyone?

41 replies
CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 42

I have a gas oven myself, and have been very hesitant to risk doing a cake using the convection setting. I think my sis used her convection all the time when she was doing a lot of cakes. But I'm chicken I guess. I'll be watching for responses on this. Thanks for asking!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 42

At the catering place I worked, they baked convection all the time. It seemed to work just fine.

I am thinking about getting a freestanding double oven and possibly with convection...I'd have to compare my own recipes though to see if it actually changes the way things bake.

Supposedly it bakes faster and more evenly, so if that's true, that would be wonderful.

CarolAnn Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:09am
post #4 of 42

I tried it once with a cake and thought it was drier than usual. Haven't used it was a cake since.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:17am
post #5 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

I tried it once with a cake and thought it was drier than usual. Haven't used it was a cake since.

when I moved into my shop, I experienced the same thing. lower the temp even further plus adding a pan of water on the bottom rack solved the problem.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 42

i bake sheet cakes at 275 for 28-32 minutes.

wedding cakes take longer.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 42

I bake with confection all the time with my home oven. Even with confection your still going to get some parts that are cooked differently. On larger pan cake I use that core thingy that looks like a funnel (cant remember what the name of it is!!) and I have no problems. I dont have any problems with them being dry either.
The rule of confection is to knock it down in temperature. So if the recipe says 350 you put it on 325 on confection for the same amount of time.

Sweet_Guys Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:30am
post #8 of 42

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

CarolAnn Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 42

Okay, I'll lower the temp another 25 degrees (I use 325 now) and give it another try next time I'm doing a cake for family. Thanks!

Chicken Little here...................

weirkd Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 42

Yes, after you shed your feathers you will love cooking with it! I forget that there are any other settings on my oven! I have confection roast on my oven as well and its pretty awesome!
The best is when you can put three cookie sheets in the oven at once and cook them in 12 minutes!

CarolAnn Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 42

bock bock...........

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 42

I've also been afraid to bake with convection. I use it for large meals and roasts. I will have to go on and try it. I know you can bake several sheets of cookies at a time. Can you also bake more that one cake at a time?

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 42

I miss mine. I had one at my bakery/coffee shop in Seattle, but at that time I only made pastries and breads. I sure with I had it now!

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:05pm
post #14 of 42

I use a convection over for my cakes and I thought I would have to change the way I do things but I didn't have to. When I was doing cakes out of my house I was baking all cakes at 325 and a 6" or 8" would take me about 30-35 minutes. I've found it to be the same here. I don't use a pan of water and I haven't found that my cakes bake any differently.

When I tried it for the first time I lowered the temperature to 300 because I'd heard that the cakes bake faster with a convection oven but when I lowered the temp to 300 it just took longer and made a really dry cake! I've only been using a convection oven since August and I love it - I didn't have to change a thing...Maybe it's different by brand though...

Tammi

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:13pm
post #15 of 42

What brand do you have Tammy? If you don't mind me asking. icon_smile.gif My oven is from 1965 with no window so hopefully I will be able to get a new one next year!
Jen...

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 6:43pm
post #16 of 42

Not at all! It's a Sunfire Full-Size Convection oven. It's one of the only new things I was able to purchase for my new shop so it's not even a year old and I love it - It was definitely worth the money. Depending on the sizes, I can bake 3-4 Wedding Cakes at the same time - I could never go back to a conventional oven again - It used to take me 2 days to bake!

Tammi

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:08pm
post #17 of 42

To bad I don't have a shop! icon_smile.gif LOL I need one for my kitchen at home so I will have to keep searching. My husband is also very opinionated so I will have to get something he likes as well. thumbsdown.gif LOL
Jen...

weirkd Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:12pm
post #18 of 42

Yah, I usually can fit two 9" pans in my oven at once so if it fits, I do it. I dont add a pan of water either. Just lowered the temp 25 degrees less like the manufacturer said.
I have a KitchenAide stove. I love it! The only thing is that I cant fit a 16" round cake pan in it. Thats my only quam!

tyty Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Yah, I usually can fit two 9" pans in my oven at once so if it fits, I do it. I dont add a pan of water either. Just lowered the temp 25 degrees less like the manufacturer said.
I have a KitchenAide stove. I love it! The only thing is that I cant fit a 16" round cake pan in it. Thats my only quam!

I too have a KitchenAid also, but never used the convection on a cake. I plan to try it this weekend.

weirkd Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:28pm
post #20 of 42

Really?! What model do you have? I have the Superba. So far Ive had to have the oven door replaced because it cracked and one of the burners blew out over the spring but it was still under warranty. It seems like all my appliances in this house have had problems. I swear I have a black cloud over it!

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:31pm
post #21 of 42

I have had a Frigidaire range with a convection option for the oven since July, and have had great luck doing several sheets of cookies and sheet cakes at once. I haven't tried using it for a regular cake yet. I had been told that the air circulating would knock down the cake as it rises, so I have been hesitant to give it a try. It sounds like it works for others. I haven't had to adjust my oven temperature at all, but I only use my convection option when I am baking multiple trays. It might be different if I only had one item in the oven.

tyty Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 8:34pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Really?! What model do you have? I have the Superba. So far Ive had to have the oven door replaced because it cracked and one of the burners blew out over the spring but it was still under warranty. It seems like all my appliances in this house have had problems. I swear I have a black cloud over it!

I have that one too. The only problem I've had with it was my own fault. I left the pans in it when I cleaned it and a wire burned out. Had it for 8 years. I wasn't caking when I bought it. But now I'm glad I didn't go with the builder grade oven.

weirkd Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 9:19pm
post #23 of 42

Yep, I hear that! This is my second one. I had one at our old house and then we had this house built and left the other one over there. Ive had this one now 5 years. So not so bad! My other appliances have been kicking the bucket though!!! lol

indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:32pm
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

Can you also bake more that one cake at a time?

Today I baked 250 cookies and a 4-tier cake (6/8/10/12/14) in about 1.5 hours baking time. LUV convection!

Sweet_Guys Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 10:52pm
post #25 of 42

Indy---Why did you say you built a 4-tier cake and gave us 5 sizes?

indydebi Posted 7 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #26 of 42

oops! it IS a 5-tier cake! icon_redface.gif (Geesh, I can work off of super complex spreadsheets, but I can't figure out if I'm baking a 4-tier or a 5-tier cake! I need a break!)

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 12:51am
post #27 of 42

I bake all my cakes covection and never changed a thing about them...(I have two GE Profiles) I love them because I can put a lot more pans in the oven and don't have to rotate them! I bake at 325 for about 50 minutes for all three shelves with cake pans (not too crowded) I also use the nails in the cakes.

weirkd Posted 8 Oct 2008 , 1:32am
post #28 of 42

lol, Indy I think you need to get a glass of wine and take a bubble bath! ....been there! I could go for a Margarita right now!!

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:03pm
post #29 of 42

I have been watching Amazing Cakes and I saw that The CakeGirls have like a pizza oven. Is that a pizza oven that can be use for baking cakes?

weirkd Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 2:46pm
post #30 of 42

I didnt catch that! I dont know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%