Convection Oven Questions

Business By Sweet_Guys Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 9:26pm by Sweet_Guys

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:29pm
post #31 of 42

I saw the pizza oven, too, Jovy...and I was wondering the same thing. I used to work at a pizzeria and know the temperatures were like 550 plus...I wonder how they bake their cakes...Unless it just takes less time.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:23am
post #32 of 42

I baked a 14 inch round cake for my two granddaughter's b-day party last Saturday. Because my time was cut short being in the hospital for two days with my mom I left it as a sheet instead of torting and filling it. I also made the mistake of using the convect feature on my oven to bake it. I have made several cakes this big and had no problems, using a flower nail in the center. It just about made me sick to cut this cake and see that it wasn't cooked clear through. There was a dense layer at the bottom which tells me the convection caused it to bake on the top and sides and appear to be done when in fact it wasn't. I baked it just over at an hour. It had butter and cream in it but I'ved used the recipe time and again and never had this problem. I will never again risk this happening. I'm through with convection as far as baking cakes is concerned. I would have been absolutely sick if this had been for a customer. As it is most of my family are dumb cluck guys who probably didn't even notice anything different and the gals who heard me comment about it said it tasted great. That was the don't tell the pathetic boob her cake bombed because we love her thing though, cause the icing was great but the cake was yucky.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:12am
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

I baked a 14 inch round cake for my two granddaughter's b-day party last Saturday. Because my time was cut short being in the hospital for two days with my mom I left it as a sheet instead of torting and filling it. I also made the mistake of using the convect feature on my oven to bake it. I have made several cakes this big and had no problems, using a flower nail in the center. It just about made me sick to cut this cake and see that it wasn't cooked clear through. There was a dense layer at the bottom which tells me the convection caused it to bake on the top and sides and appear to be done when in fact it wasn't. I baked it just over at an hour. It had butter and cream in it but I'ved used the recipe time and again and never had this problem. I will never again risk this happening. I'm through with convection as far as baking cakes is concerned. I would have been absolutely sick if this had been for a customer. As it is most of my family are dumb cluck guys who probably didn't even notice anything different and the gals who heard me comment about it said it tasted great. That was the don't tell the pathetic boob her cake bombed because we love her thing though, cause the icing was great but the cake was yucky.

I am sorry this happened to you! Convection ovens are very important when it comes to where the rack is placed. I know mine even came with a diagram..I have two settings, one for multiple items and one for single items. (this affects how the fan works) It sounds like your rack wasnt in the right location to allow for the circulation to work properly. I love my convection oven and cannot image life without it! I would try it again, make a small cake and see how it goes and learn the oven. Once you do, you will never go back!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:18pm
post #34 of 42

You should still use your flower nail even with the confection oven. Especially with larger cakes. But you also have to have the cake on the bottom rack so that the air can circulate like lorimoms said. And like she said, you will never go back. I dont even use the just bake setting on my oven. I dont remember EVER using it!! lol I even use confection for my roasts and stuff.
Try another cake but this time use the nail and make sure its a test cake and not for customer. Im sure once you get the hang of it, you will like it.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:55pm
post #35 of 42

i use convection on my little tiny toaster oven when doing garlic bread and such....my husband tought me to just lower the temp 25 degrees.

now that we've moved into our new house, the main oven is a frigidaire gallerie, and has a convection option. i'm nervous about using it for anything, especially cakes, because i don't know the timing...is there some rule of thumb to figure out the baking time for items vs the time it says in the cookbook?

weirkd Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:59pm
post #36 of 42

You lower the tempature by 25 degrees like your toaster oven. And usually for cookies its like a couple of minutes longer. But you should of got a book with your oven and it should tell you how to convert recipes for confection. But the best thing is when you make a batch of cookies and you can put three trays in at once! It makes holiday baking go soooo much faster!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 4:50pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

You lower the tempature by 25 degrees like your toaster oven. And usually for cookies its like a couple of minutes longer. But you should of got a book with your oven and it should tell you how to convert recipes for confection. But the best thing is when you make a batch of cookies and you can put three trays in at once! It makes holiday baking go soooo much faster!

Not only that, but convection roast is INCREDIABLE! You will have the best turkey or ham you have ever had. It circulates the air around the entire thing, so it cooks really evenilly and is SO juicy!!

weirkd Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 5:20pm
post #38 of 42

Oh I know! I love doing rib roasts in it!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:09am
post #39 of 42

Oh my goodness, I feel so silly. I purchased a new oven with a convection setting when I remodeled my house two years ago. With everything that has been going on in my life I totally forgot that I had a convection setting on my oven. It all clicked in when I saw this forum post. I think I might just try it!

weirkd Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 12:13am
post #40 of 42

lol, Man, I bet your kicking yourself now after making the cookies and putting one tray in at a time and it taking all day!!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:10am
post #41 of 42

This is helpful as next year I hope to get a double oven/range (freestanding). The convection ones are like $400-$500 more and I wasn't sure if I would want that or not. Sounds like I won't....I mostly bake cakes (and nobody is going to notice if my turkey is convection or not every year at Thanksgiving!) so this is really good to know so I can save a little money.

Come to think of it, the cakes baked at the catering place I worked at, in a convection oven...weren't that great.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:26pm
post #42 of 42

Sounds like some really interesting information. I guess when we get our first convection oven, the first thing we'll do is READ THE MANUAL!!! LOL

Paul (& Peter)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%