What To Use Between Layers Of Cake When Stacking?????

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 11 Oct 2008 , 8:14pm by tonimarie

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making my first stacked anniversary cake. I have watched all of sugar shack's video's, but I'm still kind of confused. do I use cardboard separators between the layers? And if I do, do I need to cover them completely with clear contact paper? Or should I use plastic separators? I'm planning to use the bubble tea straws as supports under each layer. any help is appreciated. TIA icon_smile.gif

9 replies
tonimarie Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 10

anyone please!

tonimarie Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 10

icon_redface.gif okay is this such a stupid question that no one will answer it???? I really would be grateful if just one person would give me some input, or point me in the right direction. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 10

First, I've never stacked a cake. I'm replying because it must be naptime for everyone else, while I'm at work sneaking onto CakeCentral. (Stickin' it to da man!) icon_biggrin.gif

Here's a link from the CakeCentral articles section. http://www.cakecentral.com/article23-Teired-Stacked-Cake-Construction.html It looks to me like you can use bare, cardboard cake circles if the cakes aren't too heavy. Otherwise, you would use the rigid plastic separator plates.

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction. I'm sure that as soon as everyone wakes up, you'll get more responses, perhaps telling you I was wrong! LOL!

Good luck!

Kim

tonimarie Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 10

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif thank you!!!!

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 12:05am
post #6 of 10

Hope I'm not too late...but this is how I do it. If the cake is heavy (over 8") I double the cardboard and cover it with white contact paper. I use the bubble tea straws for support.

tuffstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tuffstuff Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 10

tonimarie, you don't have to "put in" a singular board between your tiers (and really, the word is tier, a layer is within a tier) because each tier should be iced while already on its own board. I use the thin wilton cake boards and don't even cover it with anything.
And like was mentioned, if it's a big/heavy tier, I double the cake board (I think in those cases, I do wrap them in fancifoil).
Of course you can use a plastic "board" but if it's just stacked and not on pillars or anything, there's no real need to.
hope that helps!

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:40am
post #8 of 10

You can use cardboard cake circles and leave them uncovered. They will be fine. You can also use plastic separators if you prefer. It's really up to you. Good Luck! princess.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 6:57am
post #9 of 10

I usually reserve the contact paper for my cake board, because the bottom tier cake already sits on its own cardboard round and is thus not in...uh...contact with the contact paper. Contact paper isn't technically food-safe.

If I am worried about the cake board of an upper tier getting soggy, I use press-n-seal plastic wrap on it. From what I've read on here though, it's generally an unnecessary step.

tonimarie Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 10

just read all these again.....and I want to thank everyone who responded. I think I will use a cardboard separator between tiers that sounds like the easiest idea since I already have them on hand icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%