Cookie Trees

Baking By cakelass Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 12:50am by Susie53

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 44

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any idea on how to make a cookie tree? I saw them on a site ( Ithink it was The Cookie Ladies) last week and thought they would be great gifts for Christmas. Thanks!

43 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 44

I have the wilton cookie tree kit from years ago and I have made it several times.It is really cute!!

cakelass Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 44

Thankyou kiddiekakes. But I should have explained myself better. Not the traditional ones. THere is an assortment of cookies stuck onto a cone shape to resemble a tree. Just wanted to know if anyone knows how to do these?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 44

Kiddiekakes has the right idea... I made several of this kit myself.. Easy to do, but a lot of baking for this one... here is the kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilton-Star-Cookie-Tree-Kit-New-1994_W0QQitemZ370091668811QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item370091668811&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by king

Thankyou kiddiekakes. But I should have explained myself better. Not the traditional ones. THere is an assortment of cookies stuck onto a cone shape to resemble a tree. Just wanted to know if anyone knows how to do these?

Ahh.. I would do those just like my cake truffle tree (in my photos), and use melted chocolate to attach the cookies to the cone (that has been covered in wax paper, of course icon_smile.gif )

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 44

king - I know exactly what you're talking about, and I'm glad you brought this up because I was wondering the same thing. I'm doing a holiday booth and thought this would be a great display for my table. Here's the link to the site where I think you saw it.
http://thecookieladies.net/catalog/_babies.htm

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 44

Ooohhh Yeahhh...I like those trees better!!!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 44

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! for posting this! these are AMAZING!! LOVE them LOVE LOVE LOVE - I can't even tell you how excited I am right now!

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 1:45pm
post #9 of 44

OMG! I love love love this idea. Those trees are soo awesome. I can't wait t see if someone here knows how to do them, they are beautiful!

Amy icon_biggrin.gif

Rebelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebelady Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 44

I'd have to guess that it is a styrofoam cone and that the cookie bags are pinned into the cone for easy removal. I think this is such an awesome way to display a large amount of cookies in a fairly small space. Also I'm sure that you would have to weight and/or secure the cone somehow. I hope this helps!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Carlachef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlachef Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 44

I think you asked how to do a cookie tree. It looks like the Cookie ladies may have used skewers stuck into the styro cone and hung the cookies in multiples on each skewer by the string that closes each of the cookie packages.

janelwaters Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 44

We start with a 1 or 2 foot tall grapevine tree
... trim it with tiny sparkling lights
... cover it with individually wrapped cookies
... add a gold elastic cord with scissors
... then top it with an ornament!

this is from thier website - it seems to me that they are using a grapevine tree and probably hot glueing the bag onto the tree then giving the scissors to cut the cookie off when you want to eat one.

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 44

Oh I LOVE this idea how much would you charge for something like this. Cookie Lady you do a wonderful job just love the cookies thanks for sharing and thanks for asking this question.

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:28pm
post #14 of 44

Just another idea you could do the cookies on a wreath as well and cut them off. Thanks guys I needed this, this morning now I am in a creative mood.

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:30pm
post #15 of 44

From looking at their website, it says they use grapevine trees. It also says that they provide a scissors with the tree for guests to cut their favors off with. To me, that sounds like they just tie the cookies in the bag to the grapevine tree and don't use a styrofoam base. It would be made out of grapewines or "twigs". Make sense?

SweetDreamsAT Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 2:36pm
post #16 of 44

Gee, I didn't think to look further on their website for guidance... thanks for finding that and passing it on. I can't wait to make one of these!!!

cakelass Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 10:41am
post #17 of 44

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to all that replied. I really appreciate your help. I went out and bought the styrofoam but I agree that it seems too light. So I am now going to look out for a twig tree. I have already made the cookies just need to bag them and get them on a tree. Thankyou again!

janelwaters Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 11:47am
post #18 of 44

I cannot wait to see your pictures!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 11:13pm
post #19 of 44

The Cookie Ladies (actually just one lady now) is 15 minutes from me. Wish I had their clientele. icon_smile.gif

http://www.thecookieladies.net/corporate.htm

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #20 of 44

Have you looked at this site? I'm still debating. It has a lot of wire trees as well as other shapes. I was thinking about getting the stork or umbrella for baby showers. They come unpainted, but should be easy to spray paint.
www.tmarco.com

SweetDreamsAT Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:46pm
post #21 of 44

I'm having trouble finding grapevine trees!! Anyone have a good source you can recommend? TIA

cakelass Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:15pm
post #22 of 44

Me too! If you cannot find it in the states I have buckley's finding it here in Australia. But if anything pops up I will post.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:24pm
post #23 of 44

icon_smile.gif What a great idea~ I would love to offer something like this........maybe next year......this year is getting pretty full.....thankfully! thumbs_up.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:42pm
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by king

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to all that replied. I really appreciate your help. I went out and bought the styrofoam but I agree that it seems too light. So I am now going to look out for a twig tree. I have already made the cookies just need to bag them and get them on a tree. Thankyou again!

Have you thought about gluing the styrofoam onto a block of wood? Or some similar base? That would make it plenty sturdy.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:52pm
post #25 of 44

Oh my goodness! I went to the site and those "trees" are just so cute! Now I'm REALLY excited about my next cookie class! We are doing Christmas Ornaments AND Christmas Lights! How CUTE would one of these trees be?

Okay, Okay, mind racing, mind racing! Not enough caffeine yet to think clearly!

Beth in KY

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:52pm
post #26 of 44

Good idea Gemini! That would make it a lot sturdier too.......hmmmmm........

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:53pm
post #27 of 44

Good morning everybody! What a great idea for a cookie tree, I can't wait to make one. I'm going to go to town today and try to find a grapevine tree. I have to say it again....I love Cake Central!

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:07pm
post #28 of 44

Leannsloan-

The prices on that website said $180 for a 2' tree with 4 dozen cookies, $90 for a 1 1/2' tree with 18 cookies....

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #29 of 44

Yup..been looking everywhere for a reasonably priced grapevine tree and i can't find them anywhere! the only ones i saw were HUGE ones at peir one, it would take hundreds of cookies to cover that thing. I looked at michaels, canadian tire, walmart...i'm getting frustrated. Where do you all buy them?

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 9:07pm
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonia3604

... The prices on that website said $180 for a 2' tree with 4 dozen cookies, $90 for a 1 1/2' tree with 18 cookies....

If you add the cost of the tree, scissors, ribbon and of course, cookies -- it's really not too bad a price, especially for the impact. Plus, the customer gets to keep the tree which is very decorative.

I can't find any trees locally, but I did find these sites. They also sell lights with brown cords. Surely she's getting her trees from a wholesaler.
http://www.rusticdecorating.com/grapevinetrees1.html
http://craftsnvines.com/_wsn/page4.html

I would love to find a reason to try this. icon_biggrin.gif

Edited to add: She also includes an ornament for the topper!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%