Anyone Not Use Royal Icing????

Decorating By kellertur Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 13

I've tried my best to adapt a vegan royal icing (and have come very close and can use it for cookies) but it just isn't like stable enough for flowers and cakes. So... I've surrendered that fantasy...

Does anyone NOT use Royal Icing? (non-vegans too) I want to know this doesn't somehow make my work "sub-par"...

People do such amazing work with Royal and right now I'm writhing with jealousy... (but in a nice way).

Thanks ~ icon_smile.gif

12 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 13

I would never, ever be a vegan so I can't relate to your self-imposed ban on royal icing using egg whites, but seriously, choosing to NOT use a given medium doesn't change your skills or talent.

What's the big deal with using eggs?

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 13

Call me silly, but I'd like to know the deal with eggs too. Can't you use the meringue powder recipe, or is that just as bad? I'm not trying to criticize by any means, I'm just not familiar with vegans.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 13

I use royal icing (and I like it icon_biggrin.gif ). But there are plenty of cakes I do not use royal icing on.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 13

You are looking for an icing to frost cakes? Vegan is all natural - no animal products right? I don't know that maybe powder sugar, rice or soy milk, and there is a vegan shortening stick that should make a pretty good icing...I used the vegan shortening stick, can't remember the name off hand but I can get it.....and it turned out OK>>. Is that what you are looking for....?

wendym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendym Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 13

I dont use royal icing and never have and I manage fine, not because I am a vegan but because I dont find it easy to work with and I dont need it. Can I just say I love your work. You are such a great artist and Im sure you will be just the same without royal icing.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 13

Meringue powder is dried egg whites, and vegans refuse to use all animal-related products - even leather!!

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 13

I was just wondering if there wa a way to use powdered tapiocca insted of egg white?

kellertur Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #9 of 13

terrylee~ I don't need any icing or fondant recipes, I make my own. But thanks for asking. I do find that spectrum organic shortening works great.

wendym ~ thank you.

About eggs ~ yes this is self-imposed. For us it is an ethical choice (don't like how chickens, especially male chicks, are treated) and a health one as well. And yes, I refuse to use leather, fur, silk or even eat honey. I've made my own powdered sugar from turbinado, although I sometimes buy organic pre-made PS which is certified vegan.

People have asked me much stranger questions than these, which I find amusing...(as if to challenge me icon_confused.gif ) like:
"so, what if you swallow a bug?" or "if you're vegan, why do you eat the "taste-a-likes"? (fake meats)... and other inane questions like that. I guess I won't "die" if I swallow a bug... icon_rolleyes.gif (I'll just burn for all eternity... just kidding. icon_wink.gif )
Most people are just innocently curious. We don't try (or want) to convert anyone. Most of our friends are non-vegan. That said, my tone isn't meant to sound defensive or rude.

I did try using egg replacer (tapioca starch) and it did work to a certain extent, but it would need an inordinate amount of sugar, and it's just not worth the trouble to pipe it. I can use it for cookies though, to outline, flood, etc. It worked pretty well.

Oh yeah ~ I wasn't implying that people who don't use RI don't measure up to those that do... I was asking for myself and was interested in the general consensus. icon_smile.gif

thanks everyone. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 6:45am
post #10 of 13

FWIW your tone didn't sound defensive or rude, and thanks for not taking (what appeared to me to be) the innocent questions the wrong way. Also thanks for your report on using egg replacers, I was just going to ask you about that. I am not vegan but the possibility always exists that I may bake for one, so I love learning about some of these areas where I would not have otherwise known a product was not vegan (the whole bone char revelation a while back was quite a surprise!)

Now back to your question: I don't use RI but a) I am not a prolific (nor professional icon_redface.gif) baker and b) I can't pipe my way out of a paper bag anyway. But...I've seen 18 gazillion amazing cakes here that don't use RI, I can't imagine why you'd feel you were missing the boat, if you have an alternative style that works just fine for you (which you do!). thumbs_up.gif Keep doing what you do so wonderfully!

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:41am
post #11 of 13

Hi, i'm not sure but I believe that the method you are using is pretty much it. Have you tried googling it? I'm not vegan either and I have a lot of friends that are and we laugh about the curiosity questions all the time. My friends have had me try some vegan dishes and they are really good but, it's a matter of preference. I like to try different things and I love tasting food and having different options so I can understand why you want to try royal icing. I will do some research for you out here and definitly try to help you out but, it might take a while. icon_smile.gif

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 7:49am
post #12 of 13

I found this recipe on a vegan board and it is supossed to be very similar to royal icing and be shiny. It says milk substitute or water so maybe you can try it and let us know how it works out. It was copied from group recipes.com

1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk substitute or water (I used rice milk)
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (I used clear vanilla instead)
assorted food coloring

Directions
In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth.
Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.

kellertur Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks everyone ~

You know, the funny thing is... a few days later I checked my vegan "RI" after it sat in a sealed glass jar. It seemed to thicken and set. I put some on a plate and walked away.... voila! I think this may work. Maybe not for flowers, so I'm not getting my hopes up. But this was inspiring.

I actually adapted a few recipes and made them my own:
Toba's, Antonia74's, and one other I found on the web. I had to adjust amounts and add a thickening agent (or two) icon_rolleyes.gif .
If you'd like the recipe, I'd be happy to PM it to you.

Oh yeah, I can't use google because of the anti-virus software I have. BUT I can use Ask.com and that is about the same.

take care.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%