Do You Charge This Much??? The Cake Matrix Chart.......

Decorating By gingersoave Updated 22 Apr 2017 , 3:12pm by sistersvillesweets

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #31 of 54

lolo2702, tried to email your matrix but it got rejected for some reason, but the matrix can be downloaded here, I was able to figure out how to attach it.

good luck!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #32 of 54

Ginger, thanks for the link. which one did you download? I noticed there are a few updated versions.

TIA!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:44pm
post #33 of 54

Earlene's serving charts are on her website, earlenescakes.com. She has a lot of information on there, it's a good site.

I do think that her servings are a little on the low side per tier, based on the way that the caterers around here cut the cakes. I think that Wilton pieces are to small, though, so I just put the two charts together and found a middle ground between them.

As far as pricing goes, I'd put Richmond and Va Beach in the same category more than Baltimore and Va Beach. I think that Baltimore would be closer to Washington pricing. I wish I could charge as much as they get for cake up there, ha ha! Nobody here would go for it, it's not that kind of a market.

gingersoave Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #34 of 54

cupcakeshoppe, there is only 1 download that I see, but when you download it y ou will need to go to the instructions tab and read that first. I tried to re-download it but it only gave the final costs. Hopefully it will work for you all.

ginger

ps. if it does not work go up into the post and there is a link to take you to her original post with the download info.

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #35 of 54

I think that 350 is very cheap even for a simple cake with that many tiers!!! She is getting a very good deal. Could you forward me the price index too, I would like something that will calculate everything so I know that I am not undercharging!!!! [email protected].

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:52pm
post #36 of 54

I think that 350 is very cheap even for a simple cake with that many tiers!!! She is getting a very good deal. Could you forward me the price index too, I would like something that will calculate everything so I know that I am not undercharging!!!! [email protected].

kylakae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylakae Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 8:38pm
post #37 of 54

I'd love the chart, please:

[email protected]

I think you'll find that what people charge varies a lot. Here they range from $3 to $8 a serving, depending on the amount of work involved and the medium (buttercream vs fondant vs chocolate transfers etc.) and the confidence of the decorator.

I think $350 for a 5 tier cake including delivery is very cheap. I think you should have added delivery on top of that and maybe rounded it out to at least $400.

It's easier to start out with higher rates than to try and raise them later. Always keep in mind how many hours you put into the cakes.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 5:38pm
post #38 of 54

Hi folks,

Here is the matrix I put together. It is based on Alice's matrix. It is for Home and Hobby. I added many tabs and took away some of which did not apply for the home and hobby baker: rent, utility costs, licensing fees, etc...

Hope it helps. The front page has all the instructions you need and you can enter your own recipes to determine costs for yourself. Enjoy!

Lisa (Loriana)

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 6:59pm
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriana

Hi folks,

Here is the matrix I put together. It is based on Alice's matrix. It is for Home and Hobby. I added many tabs and took away some of which did not apply for the home and hobby baker: rent, utility costs, licensing fees, etc...

Hope it helps. The front page has all the instructions you need and you can enter your own recipes to determine costs for yourself. Enjoy!

Lisa (Loriana)

Lisa, I click on "download" and it says "page not found." Am I doing something wrong?

gingersoave Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:14pm
post #40 of 54

Lisa, Mine says the same thing: page not found.

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:32pm
post #41 of 54
gingersoave Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:38pm
post #42 of 54

This is not Alice's Matrix. If you look at the previous page I have put the download for Alice's Matrix. Just hit download and you have it. Please read the instructions first.

Here, I will attach it again so you don't have to go to the previous page, my computer is slow so it takes me forever to get to another page. This will make it easier.

enjoy!!!!

Also please tweak it to suit your own needs as far as costs etc...

gingersoave Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:42pm
post #43 of 54

Did any of that make sense? Sorry I'm trying to do 100 things a mile a minute b4 my kids get home from school. Let me try again:

grossoutqueen, your's is not Alice's matrix but it's a great spreadsheet that I would definitely use.

I attached in my above post, Alice's Matrix. Please read instructions carefully and tweak it to your needs. I did not tweak it and I quoted a bride 350.00 for a cake to feed 100 people and after I added my own costs etc. it came out to $510.00. But since I already quoted the bride I stuck with my original total and just told her about it, maybe she will tip me really big (ha, wishful thinking!!) icon_lol.gif

good luck! Happy Charging!!!

Dileia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dileia Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 7:56pm
post #44 of 54

I would like the Matrix also. Thank You.
My e.mail is: [email protected]

gingersoave Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:46pm
post #45 of 54

dileia, please hit the download button that is above and it will download to your computer. It's probably easier to do it that way.

thanks!!
ginger

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 11:00pm
post #46 of 54

Okay it took a while but I finally got it downloaded. Now call me stupid but I'm stumped as to how this matrix works -- can anyone help please? icon_smile.gif

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 4:39am
post #47 of 54

I charge $3.00 a serving for BC cakes and $5.00 a serving for fondant. I am by far the least expensive decorator in my area.

jovyv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovyv Posted 4 Oct 2008 , 8:15pm
post #48 of 54

Please send me the cake matrix. [email protected]. My husband is always saying that I don't charge enough.

gingersoave Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:09am
post #49 of 54

bobwonderbuns, make sure youclick on the instruction sheet, there are MANY sheets/tabs to this matrix. And just follow what it says, you will need to put in how many cake mixes you will use, how much frosting, filling etc. but you will need to look at the first sheet to determine how much you will use based on the size of the cakes. It has a ton of info so it is overwhelming at first till you do it a couple of times and play around with it. Make sure you change any of the ingredients in the recipe section. She has pudding at 19 or so cents a box and mine is 89 cents a box, so after I updated it that made a huge difference in price. So just mess with it a few times before you give anyone a price for their cakes.

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm
post #50 of 54

Thanks Ginger, I noticed all the tabs and panicked first and asked questions later! icon_lol.gif I'll try it again! icon_biggrin.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:19am
post #51 of 54

In my area that would also cost $700-$850. I think that $350 might be too low, unless the bride is a friend and you are giving her a discount. princess.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:49am
post #52 of 54

If someone could please PM me the matrix that would be great. I tried to get the thread to open but it wont icon_cry.gif

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #53 of 54

I would appreciate a PM of the matrix too please! princess.gif Charging people is not my strong suit!

sistersvillesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistersvillesweets Posted 22 Apr 2017 , 3:12pm
post #54 of 54

Can someone please email me the cake matrix [email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%