Help!! How Do I Keep Purple Bc From Fading..need Help Fast

Decorating By woodthi32 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 4:28pm by laurakelly2

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:04am
post #1 of 10

My experience with red BC has been that it actually darkens with exposure, but my purple, which is covered and on my kitchen table, is fading to BLUE. I assumed this was the sunlight and put it in a dark place. Is that what is causeing it. Do I need to do something else. How should I cover the cake to protect it when it is iced??
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

9 replies
wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:30am
post #2 of 10

what kind are you using?? AMericolor is awesome.. their Regal Purple is a nice dark purple and it holds.. definately keep it out of sunlight (all colors).

Wendy

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:57am
post #3 of 10

It seems Wilton will fade no matter WHAT you do.... I used Americolor, at it was GREAT......

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:02am
post #4 of 10

I was just looking at a coloring chart last night. Sorry, don't know where it came from. Anwyay, it said use milk instead of water when making red, black, purple & blue icing. It keeps it from spotting & fading. Never tried it, just thought I'd add that bit of info.

woodthi32 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:17am
post #5 of 10

well, I used an aibrush color, a mixture to get the shade of the dresses.
Do you think, though, if I shelter it from sunlight (the bowls that faded were sitting in sunlight) after I ice the cakes, that I can preserve the color?

woodthi32 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:18am
post #6 of 10

well, I used an aibrush color, a mixture to get the shade of the dresses.
Do you think, though, if I shelter it from sunlight (the bowls that faded were sitting in sunlight) after I ice the cakes, that I can preserve the color?

woodthi32 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:20am
post #7 of 10

thanks turtle. I used coffee creamer, non dairy.............maybe that is a contributing factor.
I have to ice these cakes today, ahead for Saturday, but they have a lot of embroidery piping that is involved and new for me.....sooooo I need the time......What if I covered them with a dark sheet or something....or kept them refrigerated??

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 10

The icing can actually fade during delivery. Purples are difficult. Basically you just can't use Wilton purple color.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 10

I agree with Leahs icon_smile.gif Purple always breaks down anyway. I don't think anything we do can stop it from breaking down. I do like the mardi gras purple though or we call it LSU purple icon_smile.gif It doesn't break down. It's Americolor~ I know Wilton's breaks down really bad. Sorry your having such a bad time.

laurakelly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurakelly2 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 10

Oh, I thought I'd gone nuts. Did a cake with wilton purple and by the time i set it up at the delivery site, it was blue. I thought maybe it just looked different in my house lighting?

But, they said when they cut the cake, it was purple under there icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%