[B]Help!!![/b] Rolled Bc

Decorating By steffy8 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm by BlakesCakes

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:30am
post #1 of 9

I had a request for rolled BC but haven't done that before. There is only one recipe for it on this site and it has lemon and orange oil...has anyone used rolled BC?? Does it taste good??? and why the oils???? This is for my boss' granddaughter and I feel like she thinks I'm "Ace of Cakes" or something!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

8 replies
mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #2 of 9

Well, I have never used Rolled Buttercream, but there is lots of discussion of it on the cookie forum.

From what I understand, it is a flavoring thing. And, you can replace them with extracts of any flavors you desire.

I know that I read of one CCer using half almond and half orange extract for a fabulous taste????

So, you might want to visit the cookie board, those ladies may can help you some, too.

HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:41am
post #3 of 9

Good on cookies. PITA for cakes. Frankly the worst "food" product I've ever experienced. Imagine greasy fondant.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:44am
post #4 of 9

I made some using a recipe on cc and subbed cocoa powder for some of the powd sugar. It tasted like tootsie rolls but I could not roll it out. Don't know if it was because I didn't have enough powd sugar in it or what. Still have a ton left. I did make little balls out of it and covered them in choc ...just like small truffle candies...yum..

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:46am
post #5 of 9

For RBC, I take some of my regular buttercream recipe (I use primarily real vanilla in that), add some light corn syrup to it (recipes call for about 1c. corn syrup to 4 cups of buttercream--I use less, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup), mix it up and then add sifted powdered sugar until it's a pie crust consistency.

I roll it out between sheets of parchment, put it in the fridge or freezer until the "sheet" firms up, then cover the item. I "buff" it with some corn starch and/or PS on my hands. Works well and crusts when it dries.

HTH
Rae

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:57am
post #6 of 9

I loved it on cookies.... I also rolled between wrap and refrigerated. I basically follow Antonias cookie directions ... use my cookie cutters and put it on. I did it on my Christmas stocking mice.... I would never try it on anything big though...

Maybe she meant rolled fondant?? Sometimes fondant is called that....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 9

"Imagine greasy fondant".........for sure! icon_smile.gif

Actually yrs ago (like 20?) there was a recipe in MBN from the lady who is suppose to have invented it long before fondant came about (Charlotte Collins??) . It had to be made in 2 seperate batches then those mixed together. I did make it a few times but thought it was very soft & hard to handle compared to fondant.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 9

Rolled buttercream can give you something closer to the look of fondant on a cookie with a much better taste. If you want to see some lovely rolled fondant cookies go to the cake journal website. cakejournal.com. I would NEVER try it on a cake... Maybe a cupcake and you could maybe emboss it.... Take a look at those cookies. I definitely would use the rolling between things and lots of chilling. Once I cut out my shape, I refrigerate it before I try to remove the cutout. Like Antonia's cookies.... People loved it on my mouse cookies. It was a nice combination with the crispy cookie. Didn't seem greasy at all at that point.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 9

I've used it on odd shapes--balls, eggs, etc. I can see using it on a cake, but it is really, really sweet and I can't see a way of overcoming that.

The red planet in the photo below is covered completely in RBC.

Sorry, but what I make isn't "greasy". It's soft and creamy under the crust that forms, but not greasy.

Rae
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%