What Size Cakes?

Decorating By maude Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 12:25am by leah_s

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:17am
post #1 of 5

I have an order for a wedding cake to serve 60. I was thinking 10, 8, & 6 inch round. Does that sound right? This will be my first wedding cake that I will actually be getting full payment for. I count the price of the top tier but not the serving, is that correct? I have only made cakes with a 4 inch diameter difference. Will it be more of a problem to decorate with such a small surface with only 2 inch difference? Thanks guys.

4 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 5

The 2" difference will not be a problem, though you'll have to be extra careful when placing the cakes on top of each other so that they look centered. For the few wedding cakes I have done I offered to make the couple a free, small (4" round) cake on their anniversary if I'm given at least a week's notice. I've found that not many really want to save that top tier for a year and then eat it!

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks GeminiRJ,
That sounds like a good idea.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 5

It will look fineicon_smile.gif There will be 75 servings from the 3 tiers. Be sure you get paid for all of them!

BTW: if you have a smaller pan than a 6, it will look better (IMHO).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:25am
post #5 of 5

I do a lot of 6/8/10s. They look fine. Very symmetrical. If you're considering the top tier the anniversary tier then you don't charge for it and you don't count the servings in the total count. Or give them a gift certificate for a cake in a year and charge for the whole cake now. I tell my brides, you get one free 6" round cake, now or in a year - your choice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%