Question For Short/small Women?

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 8:00pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 31

I'm currently on a weight loss journey and am aiming for the 120s weight wise. I'm 5 foot even. My main goal is 127ish then I will see how much I want to lose from there. Since I have always been a larger person I have no real memory of being that size and have no idea what that size will look like me on.

I know everyone has different body shapes and styles, but I was wondering if any of the (shorter) women in the 120-130 range would mind sharing with me what clothes sizes they wear. I'm just looking for a idea of what size I may be in when I get there.

When I previously lost weight I tried not to buy alot of clothes at every size. I started out at a 18 and skipped buying any 16 and went to 14 and 12, depending on fit. I went from an XL to a L for most shirts. I'm just trying to get a idea of what clothes sizes I want to try and skip and what sizes as I get closer to my goal I may be able to buy more of and hold on to. If that makes any sense.

30 replies
tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #2 of 31

5' 2.5" and about 128. I wear 6-8, depending on brand and cut. (and how you like clothes to fit. I wear 0's and .5's at Chico's, but they have a strange system (but great clothes). I wear smalls and mediums in most t-shirts and sweatshirts and other things that come that way. (I did recently have to order a Large in my school's staffwear-- another odd-sized situation. I was glad we had samples to try.)

Hope this helps and good luck in your efforts.

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:42am
post #3 of 31

I am also 5 foot even so it's nice to know someone else that is as short as I am... I weighed in at 115 my senior year of high school and I was in a 5... By the time I got married 4 years later I weighed around 130 and in 7 and 9's. Now I am as wide as I am long.. And desperately need to lose weight. I've been using the wii fit and it is so much fun and it actually works. If you need a weight loss buddy I'd be glad to hear what's working for you and I would love to have someone to share with. Especially on the difficult days....

Dawn

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:42am
post #4 of 31

sorry double post

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:27am
post #5 of 31

Im 5'2.5" and I weigh 110 on a heavy day. (great genes icon_wink.gif ) My pants are usually anywhere from a 5 to a 2, my shirts go from med to large, depending on where i get them, Good Luck losing your weight, I'm rooting for you

TexasSugar Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:35am
post #6 of 31

Thank you! That really helps cause now I sorta have a number in mind. Anywhere from a 5-9 and med to large shirts. I currently have a large chest but I don't really expect to lose much of it, so I'm thinking if I don't a small shirt probably won't work well. But then agian one doesn't really know for sure.

At work I have to wear kakia pants and I really don't want to spend $20 bucks every time I drop a size if I can just wear them big and skip a size.

Tchrmom, I have never shopped at Chino's. We have one here but I haven't even been in it. I may have to check it out at some point.

Mrsdawnwhite, feel free to PM me any time you would like. I'm also a part of the Chunky Monkeys Thread here in the lounge section. There are several women on it that are very supportive and share what works for them. icon_smile.gif

Vanna1487, I'm jealous of your genes! HeHe. And thank you. I'm hoping this time is the time that I do make it to my goal weight. I'm certainly gonna give it my all to get there.

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:25am
post #7 of 31

I'm 5' 2 and 3/4" icon_smile.gif
I weigh 123 right now and wear a size 6 pant. If I lost just two or three pounds more, I can wear a 4. This depends on the brand as I do wear a 2 at times.
I've weighed 115 to 118 all my life but in my 50's a few more pounds is better.
I wear a small shirt and sometimes medium. I have a small chest. icon_cry.gif
LOL!
Susie

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 31

When I was on one of my quests for clothes, oh yeah, it's like a game show to find real petite clothes not things for skinny little teeny boppers, I noticed that the outlet had liz clairbourne and other brands of clothes in sizes for "petite women" the sizes went up to an 18, but were made for shorter women, the length of sleeves, pants, waist were made shorter. You may find a better fit in these clothes. All the stores that specialized in petites have closed in my area. I fit best in a 2P or 4P and now the department stores only carry petites in 6P and larger! It is a real pain, and I need to try things on, so I don't like to buy online.
Good luck with your weight loss.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:43am
post #9 of 31

I am 5"3" and weigh 110 lbs. The last pair of jeans I bought were from Sears (but that was 5 lbs. ago) were size 8 Petite. They are starting to get pretty tight so I might need to go up a size. I usually buy mediums in shirts because I don't like tight clothes. Most of my dresses are 6-8 and probably a couple that are size 10, but that depends on where they come from.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #10 of 31

I'm 5'2 3/4 " and very large chested with an apple-shaped body (bad genes). icon_cry.gif At 103 lbs., I wore size 6 although dresses had to be taken up in the waist. At 125, I wore an 8 or 10, depending on the style. I very much have to go by fit and can never just buy something at the store or through a catalog. I have 3 different sizes in my closet right now and they all fit the same. I have also found the Liz Claibourne fits me better than any other clothes. I like to go to Liz outlets because I can always find something that fits and looks good unlike most other stores. Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep up the good work!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 31

It also depends on whether you're curvy or not. icon_smile.gif I'm 5'2" and I was once 120lbs. At that weight, I was wearing a 5/6. If I didn't have hips, I could have worn a 3/4. At 130-135lbs, I was around a 7/8.

I've always been large on top as well (hourglass figure woo!), so med/large tops as a D cup.

TexasSugar Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 31

You ladies are great! icon_smile.gif It just feels good to have a idea of what I can expect.

Emrldsky, your body sounds like mine. At my current weight (16icon_cool.gif if you see me from the front I look good. Nice and curvy. It's the side view that doesn't look so pretty. My mom was laughing at me the other day cause she said my hip is like a shelf. Perfect baby carrying hips.

Because I went from no chest to a C cup, I'm pretty sure that I won't lose alot of my chest. Maybe some of it, but I doubt I will ever see the letter B on my bra tag at any time.

I've saved all of my skirts from when I went through my closet and got rid of the two big clothes. My mom can sew and has told me she will take them in for me. After I get to the weight that I want to be at I'll decide which I want to alter and which I should just go ahead and pass on.

I've also bought some Large tops lately that are really cute and I'm hoping I can still wear next summer. A few of them will look better as I lose weight, which is a plus. And some of the others I may see if they can be altered.

Losing weight is expensive. icon_smile.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #13 of 31

I'm 4'11 and when I weighed 125 I wore a size 6(juniors) For some reason womens clothes don't fit me, even the petite. It's really hard to find clothes. I have no hips so womens pants look stupid. And I am top heavy so some juniors shirt don't look appropriate for a mommy to wear icon_redface.gif .
Right now I'm 110 and wear a size 3. Now If I could only lose those last 15 lbs icon_cry.gif It seems like the baby weight gets harder and harder to lose.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 31

I'm 5'1" and I'm at my maximum weight now which is about 139-140. My pants are an exact 8P, but on top I'm a medium or large because I have a big chest. I can't seem to get rid of these 5 pounds! I would still be in an 8P it would just be a little more comfortable.

TexasSugar Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 8:21pm
post #15 of 31

I'd love to be able to keep some of my large tops. Some of them are form fitting so I think they will translate to a smaller body well since they already have some shape to them.

I have size 12 jeans I need to lose about 5 more pounds to be able to zip them up with out holding my breath. Maybe I'll be able to wear them long enough to skip over 10's and go to 8's. icon_smile.gif

I've lost almost 5 pounds in the last 6 weeks. I'm about to work on adjusting my eating some more, so hopefully I'll start losing a little faster. icon_smile.gif

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #16 of 31

I'm not meaning this rude, so please don't take it that way. I'm curious about something. I responded to this thread and put my weight and sizes, so I've been getting emails everytime someone else posts. I don't understand how I weigh 110 and I couldn't squeeze my butt into a size 3 if someone paid me, how is it that most of you wear 3's and 6's? My last jeans are 8P and are pretty tight. I just don't get it??!! icon_lol.gif

Congratulations on the weight loss, by the way!! thumbs_up.gif

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #17 of 31

I use to weigh 215 pounds after my triplets. I joined weight watchers and weigh 100-105. I am 5'4. My pants size range from 2-4 depending on brand and style. The junior sizes I wear 3-5. Tops I wear Extra small to Small depending on the style and brand.

It took me 3 years to lose the baby fat but I highly recommend weight watchers.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortcakesSweets

I'm not meaning this rude, so please don't take it that way. I'm curious about something. I responded to this thread and put my weight and sizes, so I've been getting emails everytime someone else posts. I don't understand how I weigh 110 and I couldn't squeeze my butt into a size 3 if someone paid me, how is it that most of you wear 3's and 6's? My last jeans are 8P and are pretty tight. I just don't get it??!! icon_lol.gif

Because different bone structures, muscle mass, etc can drastically affect a person's size.

I look like I weigh at least 15 pounds less than I really do and I always have. I'm 5'10" and when I got pregnant with my youngest I had a 25 inch waist but weighed over 150. Even my relatives don't believe me when I tell them my weight, I'm not super skinny anymore though.

My five year old takes after me, he's at the top of both the weight and height charts but he's too skinny even for the slim sizes in his height range. My 9 year old is slim too but he's 9.5" taller than his little brother and weighs not much more.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:28am
post #19 of 31
Quote:

This really depends on where you carry your weight - if you are busty, or have hips, basically the shape of your body.

And to those that have good genes - I don't like to talk to ppl like you!! (jk) I just have to look at food, and I gain weight. I'm 5'3", and 150 lbs, have to lose 30 lbs!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif My SIL is 5', and eats 4x as much as me, cookies cake etc, and she has to gain weight, she weighs 85 lbs, wears size 0 icon_eek.gif .

TexasSugar Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #20 of 31

Mbelgard, my best friend is 5'10 and weighs more than me, but she looks skinny and I look fat. Her weight is more stretched out. I once had a guy tell me he thought she weighed 120. I was like what? Are you stupid? On good days she's in a size 8.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 3:29am
post #21 of 31

Mbelgard, my best friend is 5'10 and weighs more than me, but she looks skinny and I look fat. Her weight is more stretched out. I once had a guy tell me he thought she weighed 120. I was like what? Are you stupid? On good days she's in a size 8.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:47pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

It's not just my height that makes it different, my body fat is in the normal range but my weight/height ratio says I'm overweight by a good bit.

Tall women can be a bigger size than a shorter woman and look thinner. The reverse of that is that a tall woman is never going to look healthy as a size 0.

nickshalfpint Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:

I can answer that icon_biggrin.gif Most of my weight is on the top half of me(well now that I had kids the middle half of me icon_lol.gif ) But even when I weighed 100lbs I wore the same pants, mind you they are a little more snug now (No muffin top or anything like that icon_lol.gif )If I'm pmsing I will wear my 5's or overalls icon_cry.gif My friend who weighs 115 and is 4 inches taller than me wears an 8 or a 10, because she carries most of her weight in her belly, legs and hips. Now if I could only be as tone as I was before I had kids icon_cry.gif .......HTH

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 2:54am
post #24 of 31

Hi,
I'm a 4' 9" and weigh about 129 right now, and wear a size 8-10, depending on time of month. I recently lost 30 pounds in the past few years, but my lowest, normal weight is about 120. I think this is my healthiest weight, plus I have an athletic build. It really does all come down to body shape, etc. AND it's sad that we now live in a world where size 8 is considered fat??? icon_eek.gif Something is wrong with this... That probably sounds like a big size, but my stomach is toned, I have larger toned thighs due to years of gymnastics and have a butt. Mother nature is a MAD scientist... madhatter.gif ( My sister is 5' 1", about 96 lbs, but no curves whatsoever.)

Whatever you do, please don't pay too much attention to those awful height/weight charts because they say I should weigh less than 90 pounds. icon_eek.gif I once was 105, for about a day, and my face was all sunken in. I'm much happier with some healthy, toned curves.

sorry this is so long... Good luck, and be healthy. thumbs_up.gif

nickshalfpint Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:18am
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Hi,
I'm a 4' 9" and weigh about 129 right now, and wear a size 8-10, depending on time of month. I recently lost 30 pounds in the past few years, but my lowest, normal weight is about 120. I think this is my healthiest weight, plus I have an athletic build. It really does all come down to body shape, etc. AND it's sad that we now live in a world where size 8 is considered fat??? icon_eek.gif Something is wrong with this... That probably sounds like a big size, but my stomach is toned, I have larger toned thighs due to years of gymnastics and have a butt. Mother nature is a MAD scientist... madhatter.gif ( My sister is 5' 1", about 96 lbs, but no curves whatsoever.)

Whatever you do, please don't pay too much attention to those awful height/weight charts because they say I should weigh less than 90 pounds. icon_eek.gif I once was 105, for about a day, and my face was all sunken in. I'm much happier with some healthy, toned curves.

sorry this is so long... Good luck, and be healthy. thumbs_up.gif

I agree with you 100%. My pre-pregnancy weight was 90lbs. And I always thought I needed to lose weight. I look at pictures now and I looked like a bobble head. I love the weight that I'm at right now. I used to be able to eat what I wanted when I wanted and never gained weight. Then I found out I was diabetic and the insulin made me gain 20 lbs. And the combination of getting older and having kids has pretty much put a halt to that icon_cry.gif I've pretty much always stayed around 110 and for my frame it's perfect. It's funny because my sister is 5'7(not fair) and shaped completely different than me. I've learned it's not the #, it's how you feel!

And that was my lesson for the day, thank you for coming icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:43am
post #26 of 31

I am 5'2".. when I was 125 pounds I was a size 4.. and 115 pounds I was a 0 to a 2 depending on the store. I am very small boned and have little to no curves.

Right now I am definitely not 115lbs.. at 145lbs I need to lose weight and am a size 10. icon_sad.gif IVF drugs have taken their toll on me and being in a low place emotionally has lessened my desire to care about my diet. But I am starting to care again. I never gained a lot of weight while pregnant. I actually lost 11 pounds in my first trimester with my first due to all the morning sickness and I gained 24 pounds when it was all said and done and 26 with my second. I held on to a bit of it though. I lost 15 pounds though after I left my first husband and was 115 pounds.. I felt great.. but now.. not so much. The only good thing about the weight is that I got me some boobs now.. icon_lol.gif But I'll happily give them up and wear a good bra to lose the spare tire. icon_wink.gif I'd be happy to be 125 pounds again.

nickshalfpint Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 5:02am
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

The only good thing about the weight is that I got me some boobs now.. icon_lol.gif

LMAO icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif After I had my 3rd baby the weight didn't come off right away (I gained 65 lbs with her icon_cry.gif ) Boy were my boobs huge.....then as I lost weight they deflated and fell thumbsdown.gif My Dh calls them deflated fun bags.....he's a good source of self esteem icon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:37pm
post #28 of 31

Deflated funbags.. LMAO.. nice one DH.. icon_confused.gif

No worries.. as soon as I drop this weight I'll be joining you in deflated funbag town.. we can suffer together.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 3:46pm
post #29 of 31

I didn't gain much when I was pregnant either... only 15 pounds. It 's funny, but getting pregnant actually was the catalyst for my body to start to lose weight. That with exclusive breastfeeding, and the pounds started shedding. As long as I'm healthy (and happy) what difference does the number on my pants really mean anyway? I'm more than a number...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:43pm
post #30 of 31

I am also 5 ft tall and I usually buy a 10-12 depending on the brand.I like my blouses loose since I am fairly busty but my pants are usually a 10 petite.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%