Glossy Look!

Decorating By diana83 Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm by Naturepixie

diana83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana83 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 16

i wonder if anyone would tell me, how to get that glossy or shiny look on fondant, is it just shimer powder?

15 replies
GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 16

some use a luster powder or dust which i believe is applied with dipping a brush in vodka or other such clear spirits and then applying the dust on the cake.. as for gloss i think some of that is well for example marshmallow fondant- some use cornstarch to keep it from sticking some use crisco- it just depends how you prefer to work it- that may be what lends a gloss to the fondant.. however there are better experts around here then myself icon_wink.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 16

Well, for glossy (like pleather), there's confectioner's glaze, but supposedly that shouldn't be consumed even though it's food safe. It smells like paint thinner icon_razz.gif .

Luster dust is what you want to use for the pearlescent sheen. Or glimmer dust, or disco dust, or pearl dust. Super pearl dust is the shiniest, though "nu silver" luster dust seems to be shinier, IMO.

Pearl dust comes in light shades of various colors, but they are still mostly white. If you want a pastel shade, these are best to use over a maching shade of icing (blue pearl dust over baby blue icing).

Actually, any luster dust color is more brilliant over matching colored icing.

diana83 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 16

huh! so you dip a brush in vodka and brush the fondant first or put the dust in the vodka and then brush cake? thank you for all your help!

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 16

Dip your brush in Vodka ( I prefer to use Everclear) and then lightly into powder. Apply to cake. This method works for scrolls and details, but I have never tried it on a whole cake.

Just remember, the main reason you use alcohol is because it dries quickly!

HTH

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 16

if you're looking for glossy not sparkly.. I've used crisco... you put a little bit on the back of your hand and work it a little at a time to make it clear... then you brush it onto the fondant... HTH not sure if I explained it right icon_wink.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 16

I purchased some Confectioner's Glaze some time back at my cake supply store. I was told that it is edible. It does smell pretty strong when you first apply it. It does make the fondant shine though. Big time....

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 16

I used Crisco on a shark cake to make it look like he was coming out of the water. I did a pretty good job.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 16

I can never get mine to "shine" like I would like it to.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 16

Have you seen Sugar Shack's video on Fondant? If not, it is awesome. She uses a piece of paper towel dipped in shortening and then gently "massage" it around until you have done the whole cake. She goes over it with another paper towel to get the excess off. It helps a lot, though I'm not sure it makes it glossy, but definitely better! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 16

I got some pearl airbrush color and sprayed this whole cake, is this what you're looking for??
LL

diana83 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 16

noi have not see that video yet... any idea where to find it?

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:50pm
post #13 of 16

her website is :

www.sugaredproductions.com

I have her stacking dvd, fondant dvd and her buttercream dvd. I love them. thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:41pm
post #14 of 16

Duh!! I just remembered that I achieved a nice glossy finish that wasn't sticky when I mixed piping gel with vodka.

I've used it on the bow on my Minnie Mouse cake and the shoe on my shopping bag cake.

I thought the piping gel might remain sticky, but it didn't due to the speed of drying with vodka.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:55pm
post #15 of 16

I also apply just a dab of shortening onto a papertowel..just a dot, and then rub onto your fondant. Also, if you should be out of Vodka, you can also use lemon extract because of the high alcohol content in it. icon_smile.gif

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonimarie

her website is :

www.sugaredproductions.com

I have her stacking dvd, fondant dvd and her buttercream dvd. I love them. thumbs_up.gif

I ordered the fondant and buttercream dvd just last week.. I got them and watched them both twice already.. OMG!!! I learned so much and she makes it look so easy!!!

When I used pearl dust I don't use any liquid. I just brush it on and seems to work just fine for me. But then again I'm just a newbie so I don't know all the tricks.. icon_biggrin.gif

The crisco looks like it works well, but I haven't tried it yet..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%