Luster Dust App?

Decorating By cakemommync Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm by snowshoe1

cakemommync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommync Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 4

What is the best way to apply lots of luster dust. Thinking of covering pretty much the whole cake as a base on the fondant. Don't have an airbrush system yet. Will just using brushes work? Any suggestions on getting it to stick really well as I plan to pipe over it as well.

Thanks! icon_eek.gif

3 replies
melli_fera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melli_fera Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 4

I haven't tried it yet (will be doing so this weekend), but I heard that if you mix some vodka with the luster dust in a fine mist spray bottle, you can lightly mist over the cake. I'm assuming you'd have to do it a few times (drying in between) to get an even coating.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 4

Simply use a bigger brushicon_smile.gif If it does not need to have a high shine, dry brush it.
Otherwise you will have to mix small amounts at a time w/alcohol - vodka, extracts etc.
Have you ck'd out the spray cans - not Wilton's) that some places have? Can't remember any in particular right now......

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Have you ck'd out the spray cans - not Wilton's) that some places have? Can't remember any in particular right now......

I think you are refering to the PME sprays (can get them at global sugar art). These work nicely - I use now but would love to have an airbrush instead! A class I took in airbrushing showed me this is definately my next big purchase!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%