Wasc Question And A Thank You

Decorating By Venticali Updated 12 Sep 2008 , 4:32am by Venticali

Venticali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Venticali Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 6

Firstly I just want to say thank you to everyone who has been so helpful here with their replies, It has really helped!

Secondly, I would love to know a substitute for sour cream in the wasc recipe, or in any recipe which calls for it. I need a non dairy option, since a lot of the cakes i do need to be non dairy. Any ideas?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:24am
post #2 of 6

If you recipe needs to be non dairy I know of no sub for it. Some people have used yogurt but that is dairy.......
You are just going to have to find a recipe w/o any dairy and try for yourself.
Recipes are a balance of ingredients & when you change them you seldon get similar or the same resultsicon_sad.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:33am
post #3 of 6

maybe a soy yogurt? I think I have heard others talk about using this, but I could be completely off base. Good luck and I hope you find your answer

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:33am
post #4 of 6

I had seen this before and kept the link in case I ever needed it. I haven't tried it though... You could experiment with it...
-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cakebaker.co.uk/NonDairyCakes.html

Making Substitutes
Making a non-dairy cake means substituting some of the ingredients which weâve come to depend on heavily in traditional baking. Fortunately, milk, yoghurt and butter can be replaced with soy milk, soy yoghurt and vegan margarine â which you should be able to find without much trouble. In fact, soy milk and yoghurt have been shown to offer extra health benefits â so theyâre now widely available in most supermarkets.

Egg presents more of a problem. If youâve read our article on Cake Science, youâll know that egg is used to provide a dry coagulation around the air bubbles and make the cake fluffy. Beaten egg plays an important role in binding the cake batter. Mashed or pureed fruit, gelatine, arrowroot or cocoa butter are recommended, and youâll find egg-replacement powder in health food shops (which will enable you to try your favourite recipes).

Whatever cake youâd like to make, the key is experimentation. Swap egg for pureed dates, sugar for molasses, and butter for vegan margarine. Youâll soon pick up tricks and learn how to turn a cake into a dairy-free zone.

Using Fruit Purees
Mashed or pureed fruit (banana, apple, date, apricot, or prune) is a common substitute for egg. It provides moisture and flavour too. Try a fruit and nut loaf with pureed apple instead of egg.

Pghnana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pghnana Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 12:46am
post #5 of 6

There is a line of non-dairy products call Tofutti. They make a non-dairy sour cream that has the same texture as regular sour cream but is just a tiny bit sweeter. They also have a non-dairy cream cheese called Better Than Cream Cheese.

My daughter is extremely lactose intolerant and can't have any dairy at all and I found that the Tofutti line was something she can eat with no problems. Maybe they can work for you too. I've never tried it in the WASC but maybe it would work.

Venticali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Venticali Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 4:32am
post #6 of 6

For my Chocolate cake, I use a soy milk, which i actually make into a soy chocolate milk, it adds extra choclatyness (not really a word tapedshut.gif) and tastes great. I figured sour cream has a different texture though.

Tofutti, why didn't i think of that! (boinks herself on the head). Maybe I could reduce the sugar. I bought a bunch of white cake boxes (the store brand) to test on, so hopefully, I can figure something out

Thanks all! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%