Oh Boy, What Have I Gotten Myself Into.! Need Hair Help...

Decorating By korkyo Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 4:35am by ceshell

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 8

I need to do a short notice order. It sounded cool but now I need to figure out how.

Do you know the Crypt Keeper? I need his head basically. I can mold it and do it from rice crispies and fondant but what about the hair????

I'm thinking spun sugar may be the closest thing that is ediable. How does that hold up in the humidity? I think cotten candy would be too thick. His hair is really stringy.

HELP!!! If anyone has pictures that would be appreciated too.

7 replies
banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 8

I would stay away from sugar unless you pop it on the very last minute or you have something you can add to it to make it stay up and not droop.

Sorry no help, but I can't wait to see how you tackle this! Best of luck!

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 8

How about using fondant or gumpaste and pushing them thru an extruder for individual strands.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 8

I was thinking an extruder, too.

For the head you could do like the spiderman bust cakes: http://frostingfun.blogspot.com/

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 8

Does it HAVE to be edible? You could get some halloween hair....Here's a pic for ya!
LL

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 8

In this website you'll find instructions to make a zombie cake. You could adapt some of the techniques to make your own cake. It uses spun sugar for the hair. You could try to make a small batch and see how it works with the current humidity.
http://www.theyrecoming.com/extras/zombiefest/

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 8

Well is it a good hair day or a bad hair day? Dying to know what way you are going on this one!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:35am
post #8 of 8

The irony here is that if you use sugar and it gets all icky, well wouldn't that be a good thing, actually?? (Presuming it doesn't just completely melt off of course.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%