Somebody Stole The Cake

Decorating By angelicconfections Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 10:44am by tastefullysweet

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #31 of 96

in regards to the can of soda being taken; another option that would have been good\\fun to do along with the dot (bit of self revenge lol) was to line the top of the soda can with anbesol icon_wink.gif

gal at hubby's old old office did that to a coworker's coffee cup lol

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:31am
post #32 of 96

Why don't you write a heartbreaking letter about how special that cake and figurine were, and send it out to every employee? Or post signs or something? I bet you someone would rat the thief out.

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:00am
post #33 of 96

this reminds me about one of the the Ace of Cakes show that the hotel staff ate the sheet cakes...remember that

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:32am
post #34 of 96

I don't know how people who do that stuff can live with themselves. I can't even live with myself when my co-worker gives me rides to work (just had surgery) and refuses to take any gas money.

Just this week at work we had our monthly birthday cake and we keep it on a vacant desk that is just off the common walkway. At 9:00 in the morning the cake was half gone because random people just kept helping themselves. Man the cojones on those people!

The worst thing in my experience was at a former job. Our office was 24/7. We had new-hire classes going on in the basement for a shift that was like 4p-12a. The basement wasn't heavily trafficked during those hours. The instructor fell in the hallway while going to make copies. She had a concussion, and couldn't stand up, and left bloody handprints on the floors and walls as she tried to get herself up...None of the 20-something kids ever snuck out to get a pop or anything. So...about a month or so later she returned to work. I had subbed for her class while she was out. For her return, we planned a huge potluck/party for her. Some @$%&$!#^!@ STOLE her 6 foot party sub. How in the world do you do that???!!!! I really hope (like PP said) that REALLY bad Karma came back on that person. It was just EVIL. The next day, I made up my famous crab puffs and chicken fried rice for the whole group, not knowing they'd already ordered pizza icon_lol.gif

I like my current company's take on lunch thefts. It's theft, plain and simple. If you are caught/proven to steal, you will be terminated.

Sorry for the long post...

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:47am
post #35 of 96

When we had a problem with lunch theives back when I worked the old 'office 9-5' I fixed it quickly. One little ol' foil pan of Ex-lax brownies was all it took. It became painfully obvious who had done it, and that person was publicly humiliated. Not to mention they were afraid to eat anything out of the fridge again!

But speaking of lows... at that same office, we were forbidden from using ice trays after a disgruntled employee filled one with broken glass!! Can you imagine? How sick did that person have to be? I mean, working there wasn't that bad.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:24am
post #36 of 96

off subject (very sorry) can you find ace of cakes on you tube? sorry my cable company here does not carry it.

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #37 of 96

There used to be a doctor at the clinic I work in who would eat people's lunches out of the fridge. A DOCTOR! Like he couldn't afford lunch. They busted him one day, and he is still known for it, years after he left.

CuteCakeName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CuteCakeName Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 4:22am
post #38 of 96

When my daughter was a baby I continued to breastfeed after I went back to work, so I had to pump. I stored my bottles in a little insulated zippered bag and brought it home each day... imagine my surprise when I discovered that someone had actually stolen my breastmilk one day! That one was pretty awkward to bring up to the guys in Loss Prevention! I still wonder who it might have been and what on earth they did with it. Ewwww...

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 5:17am
post #39 of 96

Just a word of caution: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER tamper with food - even food you bring in yourself. It may be a joke to you, but if someone gets sick (yes, even if they shouldn't have been eating it in the first place) you are liable and can be prosecuted! It is a criminal offense to tamper with food in such a way.

Besides, putting a lot of ex-lax in someones food can make them violently ill, and could even lead to death. Nobody deserves to die over a brownie.

Sorry, but I had to put that out there.

Carry on.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:13pm
post #40 of 96

That is so sad that someone would steal another person's wedding cake. And especially at your place of employment. It's pathetic really!

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:10pm
post #41 of 96

thanks everyone for the sympathy, I didn't find out who did the deed but an ec all email went out about stealing at work. there are about 700 people who work in this building, and while the security guards did keep an eye out they didn't see anything, but I am friendly with the janitorial ladies and one of them found the big red box, empty in the trash so someone either ate themselves sick or put the cake into a lunchbox or somthing, and then notes were pasted to all the fridge doors about the pupose of the stolen cake so I hope they feel guilty. We have had problems with fridge theft here before, but this was low. thanks guys,
ang

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm
post #42 of 96

I doubt they would even feel bad about the cake.
Some people have no morals.

In addition

I worked at a small cafe and we received an order on delivery for a restaurant across town. Simular name...just a mix up unloading the truck.
Anyway after it was all put in the freezer the manager found the mistake like 5 hours later. he told everyone working that evening to take what they wanted from the boxes it wasnt ours and it was their loss. I swear the box contained hams, turkey breast and whole turkeys.

I quit after seeing this. Never gave a reason why just quit.

He could have called the restaurant someone would have picked up the missing delivery.

I have no respect for him, cant stand to see him out and about in town.

mtaccts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaccts Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:47pm
post #43 of 96

My husband works for a large home improvement store and he fixed the problem by writing 'stool sample' on his lunch bag LOL

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #44 of 96

. . . well, I'm glad "something" was done . . . but I'm pretty sure that anyone that would do this isn't going to feel guilty about it . . . they knew it was "wrong" in the first place . . . too bad they weren't caught on tape . . .

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:27pm
post #45 of 96

it would be nice if the thief had been caught on tape, but this is a secure building, i work at an insurance company and beleive or not cameras are a security risk because people's insurance info could be caught on tape, we are not even allowed to bring in cell phones because someone could take a photo of a SSN card or other info. i work in a smaller contracted department and not out in the general cubicle area but there has been a mass hiring in anticipation of the rush the end of the year causes at inusrance companies and with the new hires came a rash of thefts, and not just food out of the breakroom. The security guards are keeping a closer watch, if and when someone gets caught heads will roll...

Melvira Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 7:13pm
post #46 of 96

I certainly hope they do catch them. And you know, I'd like to sit that person down and explain to them how they ruined something very special for many people. You know, the cake gave them pleasure for a few minutes, but the hurt they caused to several people will last a lot longer. Not that they'd care, but sometimes people who do mean things actually do care when they are 'busted out' about something and called to the carpet. People will do and say things they wouldn't normally when they feel they have some anonymity. Which is why I ignore a lot of stupid comments that are made! thumbs_up.gif

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:19pm
post #47 of 96

I have a co-worker who had her top layer of her wedding cake stolen at the reception!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 3:34pm
post #48 of 96

These stories come as no surprise to me. People today have an "If it's free, it's for me" attitude. And if it's sitting still, and nobody is looking, they think it's free.

Someone at work used to steal lunches all the time, particularly my friend, David's. One day he deliberately put a cat food sandwich in a lunch bag, with his name on it. Of course, it was stolen. The next day, the note read:

"Thank you for eating my lunch yesterday. I hope you enjoyed the cat food sandwich. May your coat glisten and your eyes shine. And may you get the unabating urge to scratch up your furniture and puke hairballs all over your bed. Signed - David."

Although the lunches continued to be stolen (yes, the perp was found to be the junkie brother of one of the bosses), David's was never touched again.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 5:03pm
post #49 of 96

Please, oh please, do not put anything into your food. If you use something like Ex-Lax and the constant diarrhea could make the person lose potassium and have a heart attack. Now, how funny is that?

Why would you bring anything to work and put it into a "common refrigerator"? Are you all not concerned with cross-contamination? Bring foods which can be kept in an insulated container at your desk. You would not put your food in the hallway; why would you put it into a nasty-never-cleaned-out-company-refrigerator?

If you are baking for the public, then you should know that e-coli lives in coffee cups which are never washed, but rinsed out and called, "clean". The sink in a common area is full of Listeria because everyone pours their coffee down the drain (yes, even those with the runny noses and coughs)... and you want to share your food in the same container (i.e., refrigerator)?

Sorry about your cake, but I would never, ever leave anything out of my sight at work... take $89.00 and get yourself a small dorm room fridge and put it in your work area (with a lock) or the common area, if that is all that is available, but lock it. You will never be sorry.

Melvira Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:31pm
post #50 of 96

I wasn't going to respond because I don't like to stir up trouble, but now that two comments have been made specifically pointing out what I said, I feel like I'd just like to defend myself a little. If you are allergic to peanuts and you steal my lunch and eat a sandwich that you don't realize has peanut butter in it, am I going to jail? Am I morally responsible for whatever happens to you? And we're not talking about 8 pounds of Exlax... cut me some slack. I'm not a murderer or a terrorist, and I can assure you I don't find heart attacks funny in the least. But please take a step into the real world and realize that if you steal something and ingest it, that is the risk you run. You are responsible for your own actions.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #51 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

You are responsible for your own actions.

and the repercussions that go with them! Amen, sista!!! thumbs_up.gif

I get sick of hearing of how "bad" prisoners have it in jail. Gosh, no cable TV, blah blah blah. Ya know how to avoid the "bad" environment? DON'T DO SOMETHING THAT SENDS YOU TO JAIL!!!!! icon_eek.gif It's a big no-brainer to me!

Dont' want to get sick on someone else's food? DON'T STEAL OTHER PEOPLE'S FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 8:59pm
post #52 of 96

Ditto to Melvira and indydebi!!!!! If it isn't yours leave it alone of pay the consequences! I'm so tired of people being made out the "bad guy" for other peoples actions. My ex father-in-law worked for the federal prision system for 25 years and those prisoners ate better then we did. They even built a swimming pool for those unfortunate prisoners. I certainly didn't have a swimming pool in my back yard.

indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #53 of 96

My 16 year old is sitting here reminding me how she stopped her gum from being stolen from her gym locker. She'd unwrap the gum, wipe it on the floor a few times, coat it with salt and garlic salt, rewrap it and put it in her gym locker.

It was only stolen ONCE after that! icon_rolleyes.gif

(I'm SO proud! icon_biggrin.gif )

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #54 of 96

It's sad our society has gotten to this point. Even supposedly honest people will steal something if the opportunity presents itself, and if they think they can get away with it.

My husband and I talk fairly often about integrity, or really, the lack of integrity these days. Our family is very involved in Boy Scouts, all the guys are Eagle scouts (including our son) my husband is a scoutmaster, and my father in law was a scout leader for over 60 years when he passed away. My husband talks pretty often to the scouts about being brave enough to do the right thing. This is the definition of integrity he tells the scouts:
"Integrity is being honest and doing the right thing, even when no one is watching and even if you know you'll never get caught."

I agree with indydebi and Melvira, too.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:29pm
post #55 of 96

You have to be kidding. icon_surprised.gif STOLE a cake. What an insensitive idiot. To me , if he got sick from something that he stole, good for him.
So sorry for you, although who would have thought. More sorry for the couple.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #56 of 96

here! Here! to Melvira and Indydebi.
Someone would always drink from my water bottle so one night before i left i filled it up with strong salt water. Plain and simple if its not yours dont touch it,or suffer the consequences.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #57 of 96

You should not be liable if someone stole your lunch! That is there problem. They stole they have to pay the consequences! (I'm sure that is not how the law works but...) I love it when people get revenge! Serves the thieves right!!!!
Jen...

Melvira Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #58 of 96

You know, this discussion makes me think of the scene in Liar Liar where the secretary says her friend had someone break into her house and accidentally cut himself with a butcher knife, then turned around and sued the victim for ten thousand dollars. She said, "Now I ask you, is that justice?" and Jim, as a lawyer says, "NO... I'd have gotten him twenty." Doesn't that just describe who we are as a society today? We hope, and often believe that most people are above that, but you'd be shocked what 'honest' people will do when they think they won't be caught. I know I've done things in my past that make me look back and say, "Oh Mel... that wasn't right... you know better than that!!"

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 9:58pm
post #59 of 96

i'm with everyone that says "if you steal it, you pay the consequences". i mean what if you put the ex-lax in your brownies on purpose because you needed a little help in that area icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 10:03pm
post #60 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb78

i mean what if you put the ex-lax in your brownies on purpose because you needed a little help in that area icon_wink.gif

That would be MY story ... and I'd stick to it!! icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%