I Actually Heard Back From Her...

Business By CakesByJen2 Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 10:51pm by Cakebelle

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 13

I don't know if you remember, but about 2-1/2 weeks ago I mentioned in a couple of posts about price increases and consultation fees that I had a frustrating consultation with a bride who's sister wedding cake I did 6 years ago. The bride and I thought it was a done deal, but went she went to her mom's house nearby to get a check, she never came back. She called back and said mom wanted her to check around some more. I figured she balked at the price and was expecting to get it for the same price as daughter #1's cake. I really didn't expect to hear back from her. Although I knew she couldn't get what I as going to do for her for any less, I figured she settle for less at a lower price to keep mom happy.

Well, last night she e-mailed me asking if the date was still available and could she send in the deposit right away to reserve it. Apparently she had to go to every baker around to convince mom I was worth it. Here's a direct quote: "We've tasted several in [two nearby towns] and none compare to yours......Your cakes were by far the best flavor, texture, and design." My daughter was like "Duh!" I just wonder how much gas money they wasted driving around to all those tastings, LOL! I wonder if anyone ever pointed out to mom that well, gas was only $1.45 a gallon six years ago, too. Considering gas has gone from $1.45 to $3.75 a gal, cake going from $1.50 to $2.50 a slice doesn't sound so bad!

12 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 13

Here here!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 13

Good for you!!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 13

Awesome! And remember...YOU ARE ALWAYS WORTH IT!!! Glad you stuck to your prices!

...And may the cake fairies smile upon you and keep this bride's mother from being a momzilla!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-Michelle

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 13

That's greaticon_smile.gif Now do a bangup job and make everyone happy. (I know you can)

holoien003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holoien003 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 13

Yay! That's awesome! I bet you feel like a million bucks! I would!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 13

holoien003 wrote:

"Yay! That's awesome! I bet you feel like a million bucks! I would!"

And that's about how much you should charge her for it, too! icon_lol.gif

Glad she learned her lesson.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 13

sometimes they just have to eat bad cake to know how darn good ours are.
Like you think ponderosa has awesome new york strip, but then you eat at Ruth chris's steak house and the fillet mignon just melts in your mouth...now the first steak was expensive at 10.99 but the 21.99 steak was much better and and now you know why the prices are so varied.....
thumbs_up.gif
You'll nail this cake and they'll eat awesome cake...but the mom may eat a little crow! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

Like you think ponderosa has awesome new york strip, but then you eat at Ruth chris's steak house and the fillet mignon just melts in your mouth...now the first steak was expensive at 10.99 but the 21.99 steak was much better and and now you know why the prices are so varied.....

Oh that's a good one!! thumbs_up.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:30am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

Oh that's a good one!! thumbs_up.gif

I was over taken by my indydebi ghost!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Pookie59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pookie59 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:

sometimes they just have to eat bad cake to know how darn good ours are.

How true! Unfortunately, some people never get it. I know alady who insists on ordering "made from scratch" cakes only, but some of the cakes she orders (from various bakeries) are so bad I can only conclude that she wouldn't know a good cake if it hit her in the face.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 13

Thatâs awesome! Not that you needed to hear it from her but now you know how you compare to your competition. Itâs a huge complement that she did all that comparison shopping and none of them could measure up to you.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 10:51pm
post #13 of 13

I agree with everyone too, people will always take you for granted! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%