'only Buttercream' Decorators

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 12 Jun 2015 , 2:11pm by goof9j

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 May 2014 , 7:10am
post #301 of 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Just wish I could find some cake stands that weren't crooked. No matter what, EVERY single one of my pretty white pedestals has a lean to it. I usually compensate for it and position the stand so it doesn't make the cake look crooked, but sometimes I screw it up. The wedding I did that same day looks crooked and it's NOT. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

It is not something that I can see from the photo.   Is it something that could be corrected, say with a couple of tiny thin compensators (like felt) placed on the bottom of the stand could level out the stand?

megpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megpi Posted 3 May 2014 , 5:48am
post #302 of 438

99% of my cakes are all buttercream. I've done a handful with decorations made out of fondant and/or marzipan, but those are few and far between. Some of my recent work:

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 3 May 2014 , 5:52am
post #303 of 438

Well megpi, you do some beautiful work!

MBalaska Posted 3 May 2014 , 6:15pm
post #304 of 438

Absolutely, It's beautiful Buttercream Work!  get all of those copied in your gallery on your Megpi page :D

MBalaska Posted 3 May 2014 , 11:16pm
post #305 of 438

Went to the Post Office and my new book has arrived.  'Sensational Buttercream Decorating' by Carey Madden.  Dang she puts potato starch in her yellow cake recipe.  I guess I've got some reading to do this week.  Fingers crossed - there will be some good stuff here.  So many books are just about fondant.

MBalaska Posted 4 May 2014 , 12:46am
post #306 of 438

Cruised through quickly and looked at all of the decorating pages.  It is all buttercream, all the time.  She does not use MC or fondant or gumpaste. She actually made Cheetah pattern and Zebra stripes with buttercream - quite impressive!   She also shows how to do that cupped flower that's so popular. 

There's a lot of very beautiful 'new school' modern style decorating with piped buttercream.   ;-D;-D Definitely two thumbs up.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 4 May 2014 , 12:05pm
post #307 of 438

Ahhh a thread after my own heart, I would rather work with buttercream or whipped Ganache rather than fondant any day.  I love the way they look, fondant cakes while looking amazing don't make me want to eat them, whereas a buttercream cake makes me want to grab a plate and fork and go have a slice. Yum.  Thanks for the heads up about Carey Madden MB, I will go take a look.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 May 2014 , 7:51pm
post #308 of 438

AMe too 810, if I never had to roll out another piece of fondant, I would be thrilled.

MBalaska Posted 4 May 2014 , 9:01pm
post #309 of 438
Quote:

Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

".........Thanks for the heads up about Carey Madden MB, I will go take a look."

You're welcome 810whitechoc.  I think that it's a newly published book.  I had to wait a month for it to be available.

The thing that most interested me was how she made the Cheetah and Zebra prints out of Swiss Meringue Buttercream.      If that method works, I should be able to make the camo cakes the same way.

It means that I could abandon AMBC (it's required on camo cakes because of it's crusting ability is needed to be able to smooth the surface out, by using the paint roller on it )........  and Go All SMBC, all of the time.    so we'll see.  Having big hopes here.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 5 May 2014 , 11:20am
post #310 of 438

Zebra print out of SMBC??? I want to know how to do that just because I want to know how to do that.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 5 May 2014 , 1:07pm
post #311 of 438
  • I checked it out in the reviews on amazon and ordered it through Abe Books.  Hopefully it will only take a couple of weeks but it is coming from the States and books from there seem to take a lot longer than from Britain.  I am more interested in the buttercream flowers.
MBalaska Posted 5 May 2014 , 5:07pm
post #312 of 438

Lots of buttercream flower instructions.........

calico, cherry blossoms, chrysanthemum, climbing roses, English gardens, fairy ring, gerbera daisy, hydrangea, lily of the valley, lotus flower, pansy, poppy, roses, sunflower, vintage china flowers, violets, cupped (those new popular ones made with the "U" tips 79-80-81 from Ateco), daisies, dropped, petals, rosepuds, wisteria, even buttercream feather pattern and bamboo.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 6 May 2014 , 10:05am
post #313 of 438

I know.  One of the reviews on Amazon listed them all and that is what suckered me in.

MadlyBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadlyBaking Posted 6 May 2014 , 5:48pm
post #314 of 438

Dang!  I've been trying so hard to be good.  *sobs quietly*  I've been staying out of the bookstore and away from online book sites and then you show me this!  Whatever that purple flower is that's on the cover?  I want to be able to do that!  Arrrrgh!  

MBalaska, I plan on blaming you for this.  (But in a good way!)  That's a book that's going to wind up on my shelf.

MBalaska Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:13pm
post #315 of 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadlyBaking 

Dang!  I've been trying so hard to be good.  *sobs quietly*  I've been staying out of the bookstore and away from online book sites and then you show me this!  Whatever that purple flower is that's on the cover?  I want to be able to do that!  Arrrrgh!  

MBalaska, I plan on blaming you for this.  (But in a good way!)  That's a book that's going to wind up on my shelf.

The purple flower on the cover is called the 'cupped' flower.  It's made with the Ateco 'U' tips # 79, 80, 81  I'm happy to take the credit  :)  

jdelectables Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelectables Posted 6 May 2014 , 8:05pm
post #316 of 438

This book is AMAZING.  Love it.  Learned lots of tips and along with a few classes at White Flower Cake Shop, I created this cake:

Buttercream floral

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 9:52pm
post #317 of 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

It means that I could abandon AMBC (it's required on camo cakes because of it's crusting ability is needed to be able to smooth the surface out, by using the paint roller on it )........  and Go All SMBC, all of the time.    so we'll see.  Having big hopes here.

why do you want to abandon american buttercream do you think you might need it someday

MadlyBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadlyBaking Posted 6 May 2014 , 11:32pm
post #318 of 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

why do you want to abandon american buttercream do you think you might need it someday

Isn't AMBC American Meringue Buttercream--stays kind of fluffy and doesn't crust as much so you can get it very smooth, as opposed to American Buttercream that (usually) crusts over?  Or have I got my icings confused yet again?  *confuzzled*

aggiewife12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiewife12 Posted 6 May 2014 , 11:37pm
post #319 of 438

Thank goodness there are others still out there! I do accents in fondant sometimes, but it's mostly buttercream. I tell people all the time, I don't see the point in covering a cake with something that takes that much time and effort (not to mention money) just to take it off before you eat it! It is cake after all and should be eaten and enjoyed!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 11:49pm
post #320 of 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadlyBaking 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

Isn't AMBC American Meringue Buttercream--stays kind of fluffy and doesn't crust as much so you can get it very smooth, as opposed to American Buttercream that (usually) crusts over?  Or have I got my icings confused yet again?  *confuzzled*

i don't know about ambc--but i'm sure it's out there somewhere--american buttercream is usually powdered sugar, fat, liquid & flavor--to me if it's made with butter and cream it's as lovely good as any other to cover a cake--when it's made with shortening it is great for piping-- idk why anyone would not continue to keep it in the arsenal--each different thing has at least one feature that it does better than any other --

easy example-- for brides who want summer outdoor weddings--it's a viable option 

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 6 May 2014 , 11:51pm
post #321 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiewife12 

Thank goodness there are others still out there! I do accents in fondant sometimes, but it's mostly buttercream. I tell people all the time, I don't see the point in covering a cake with something that takes that much time and effort (not to mention money) just to take it off before you eat it! It is cake after all and should be eaten and enjoyed!

Reasons to use fondant:

It seals in the moisture

Keeps you from dying icing the customers will eat

Allows a bright white cake with real vanilla and butter in the icing (the customers will eat)

Protects the cake from the elements while it sits out for hours being decorated. Aka breathing on it.

Allows types of decoration not otherwise possible

The look

My base price is the same for fondant and buttercream.

I would rather be shot in the face than do a buttercream with a lot of fondant accents. You, know those cakes that are supposed to look like fondant but aren't? The only place I've seen this done really well is CorrieCakes, but i'm sure there are others.

If someone posted one up thread, I'm not putting your cake down - I just haven't read the thread yet. :D 

MBalaska Posted 7 May 2014 , 12:55am
post #322 of 438

Cool........ One can do both buttercream cakes and fondant cakes. There are great reasons for both.

Michelle04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle04 Posted 9 May 2014 , 7:26am
post #323 of 438

I was so excited to find this thread. I do 99% of my cakes in BC but I found that most cake decorating magazines these days are all fondant. Especially Wilton. It's been a couple years since I've done a big cake (had two babies that loved getting into everything so cake decorating got put on hold until they were older) so I'm getting nervous to do my parents 50th anniversary cake for this next weekend. I'm trying to replicate their original wedding cake. I came on this website to refresh my memory about technique and get some recipes. That's how I stumbled onto this thread. I just LOVE BC!!!! Here is the first wedding cake I did for my brother.

I made this cake for my brothers wedding this past weekend.  All the details are in the previous photo.  I got the idea from CC...thanks.

MBalaska Posted 10 May 2014 , 8:20am
post #324 of 438

Just received and watched Sharon Zambito's DVD 'Perfecting the Art of Buttercream'.  ;-D;-D

It's a very detailed tutorial.  I like the way that she talks about everything that she does, and give tips on things that may happen and what to do if it does happen.  I've never made a crusting buttercream with all (meaning 100%) Hi-Ratio shortening or with Coffee-Mate creamer.  I will do so later, but until then, has anyone made this icing or tried her techniques???? 

It certainly makes a perfectly white-white icing for wedding cakes.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 May 2014 , 3:10pm
post #325 of 438

I have and it really works.  Love the buttercream!  If I use a different recipe my husband always tells me "you didn't use the right frosting recipe".  And the buttercream looks super smooth on my cakes.  I'm still learning, but her techniques really have helped me get smoother looking cakes.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 10 May 2014 , 8:08pm
post #326 of 438

Michelle04, your wedding cake for your brother is beautiful!! You did a terrific job!!! Very nice.

Jdelectables, your cake is awesome!!

Both of you did excellent jobs!!!

Zakared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zakared Posted 12 May 2014 , 8:04pm
post #327 of 438

MBalaska, I've used her tips and recipe for making her buttercream.  It is by far the best I've found, although I don't make it with milk or hi-ratio shortening (just regular Crisco)…and it works amazingly well.  VERY good for smooth buttercream cakes.  LOVED.IT!

MBalaska Posted 12 May 2014 , 9:03pm
post #328 of 438

Thanks guys, that's good news. Her video tutorials are sure impressive.

Zakared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zakared Posted 14 May 2014 , 1:51pm
post #329 of 438

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Thanks guys, that's good news. Her video tutorials are sure impressive.

Yes, they are!  I salivate to get more of her videos!

seann11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seann11 Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:02am
post #330 of 438

AI'm making a cake for a wedding in Sept. I just found out I will have to be out of town the day of wedding. I will be frosting and decorating them a week ahead. I plan on freezing them. What is the best frosting for this? That will keep its shape and texture without going grainy. I was thinking SMBC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%