'only Buttercream' Decorators

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 12 Jun 2015 , 2:11pm by goof9j

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 11:46pm
post #151 of 438

So where can I get this wedding bouquet flavoring?? I've heard a lot about it!!

mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 10 Oct 2008 , 6:27pm
post #152 of 438

I wanted to know that, too. I found it at Global Sugar Art. I was wondering what flavorings were in it and maybe I could make my own version.

Okay - Serious Cakes, I am about to put your icing to the test. Off to the kitchen!

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 12:55am
post #153 of 438

Wow! I'm excited to find this thread! I, too, only use buttercream for my cakes. I will use fondant accents now and then, but do not like the taste of a cake completely covered in fondant. I agree it is not worth the time and extra money to put something on the cake that in all likelihood won't be eaten.

I love the idea of freezing buttercream to make cutouts. I will be trying that out soon! icon_biggrin.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:45am
post #154 of 438

mandifrye-How did it go? icon_biggrin.gif

mandifrye Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 3:52am
post #155 of 438

Well, Ms. Serious, I love the flavor and the texture. I haven't actually made it to covering the cake (I got tired and wussed out, decided tomorrow would be better for me and the cake at this point, icon_lol.gif )

Do you usually use the Viva method? I have watched so many videos and tutorials, I can't remeber who uses what. I was just wondering what the designer uses to create the smoothest results.

Oh, okay bc decorators... I have a LV purse cake needed for next weekend. I made some choc fondant to cover it and it is going to be VERY difficult to work with, but I know that I can get the leather look I am looking for. Is there a way that I could use a chocolate bc and get a leather look, then apply my fondant and RI (at last minute) accents? Come on, give a tired mother of four a helping hand. My brain went with the second child! icon_lol.gif Especially after bedtime here!

....Please help, and tell me that I can, I would hate to do all of the fondant work only to throw piles of it in the trash after the cake has been eaten from under it! icon_cry.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:05am
post #156 of 438

lol-yep, I think I've lost brain cells with each additional child icon_lol.gif
I use the viva towels, love 'em! Here's a thought, use the choc bc and kind of crumple a paper towel when you smooth, that way you can get the leathery kind of look for your purse....perhaps?

mandifrye Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:19am
post #157 of 438

Well - I am surprised that I have any brain cells left. I Directed day cares for years (taking care of other people's children) and now I take care of my own and a hubby! Most of the time, I clean up after him more than my one and two year olds! icon_confused.gif

I have only done one bc background on a cake thus far. So, I am kinda nervous about trying it out again. I did use the viva method and LOVED it - icon_confused.gif It worked great for an amatuer!

I love that crinkled paper towel idea - I also thought about dusting a light dust of cocoa powder in certain areas to make the leather look a little shaded or worn. What do you think? I have three cakes and 5 dozen cookies all due by next Saturday. That is huge for me, considering I vary rarely have any uninterrupted time. I have to have a complete game plan before beginning to maximize my time. icon_rolleyes.gif

I am open to any and all ideas - I am a bit of an experimentor and I feel like we learn everytime we fail (as long as there is time to fix it, AGHGH icon_eek.gif )

Oh, does your icing Serious, have a way to go chocolate? You may have already given that answer 100s of times, but I don't recall. Thanks for everything.

SeriousCakes Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:30am
post #158 of 438

I like the cocoa powder idea, sounds good!

Alright, my advice is to get as much done ahead of time as possible. Get your bags ready, extra frosting made and colored, cake boards covered, etc.

Yes, my frosting can be chocolate, I actually have it posted on here but it's pretty much the same recipe as regular bc. I melt 6 oz. of unsweetened chocolate, cool to room temp, then add just before I add the sugar.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 4:31am
post #159 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibbies

I don't mind doing either. I do get far more orders for bc. I think most people are turned off by the taste/texture of fondant.
The recipe I use for my bc is actually on the home page for newest recipes.

Jibbies

Jibbies, will this recipe of yours (white velvet BC) work with the no trans fat Crisco? I have a brand new can and I'd like to incorporated some butter into a new recipe with the Crisco. I used Indydebi's yesterday, but after a while, it got a grainy/ clumpy texture. I did add powdered meringue to the recipe (one Tablespoon per cup of icing) so that it would take care of this, but it didn't quite work out for me.

mandifrye Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:12am
post #160 of 438

Okay Serious, you are my new hero. I love your icing, taste and performance. Now, if I can just be as creative as you about the cake, all will be well.

I am assuming that I needed to store the unused in the fridge. How long will it keep. By the way, I did make a substitution and was pleasantly surprised. I used heavy cream instead and it tastes like ice cream, YUMMY!

Anyway, thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 12 Oct 2008 , 2:26am
post #161 of 438

Yay!! Thanks for letting me know how it went! Yes, you can store it in the fridge, I'd say for at least a week, at most 2 weeks. lol-haven't tested it like that yet icon_smile.gif You could also store it in the freezer, I do that all the time.
Mmmmm, cream!! I love using heavy cream but if there's any leftover cream it goes right into my coffee. Not that it's a bad thing but I hate throwing anything away and heavy cream goes bad after 7 days! I usually use 1/2 and 1/2 because I always have that around but on occasion I splurge icon_wink.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 7:37pm
post #162 of 438

Butter Cream Queen here, i use fondant for accent piecies Im still not quite sastified with my BC im still working with it, i think i will try the HWC next time do you just add it like you would the water or milk??

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 8:32pm
post #163 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar_pilot

I just got two older buttercream books just chock FULL of flowers and things.

I'm always looking for these old books. Would you care to share the titles and authors?

Thanks.

Kim

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:15pm
post #164 of 438

Had to check my Amazon... the two books I got are:

Sixty-Five Buttercream Flowers by R.V. Snyder

This one was first printed in 1957. Some of the terminology I'm having to research a little. The pictures are in black and white, but the explanations seem to be pretty good.

Buttercream Flowers and Arrangements by Roland A. Winbeckler

This is newer. Honestly, it's more of the bookLET than a book, but the information it has is excellent. Lots of stuff on how to best arrange things, the flow to it, that sort of thing.
[/img]

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 9:47pm
post #165 of 438

You can also try looking at the old Wilton Encyclopedias -- the set of 3 deal with buttercream and other techniques, but the third one is almost all buttercream borders and flowers.

mandifrye Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:26pm
post #166 of 438

As for HWC, Serious' recipe calls for half and half, and I subbed the HWC. It was all I had, and I couldn't have been happier with the outcome. You just add it like you do any liquid to BC.

icon_biggrin.gif

DsLady614 Posted 15 Oct 2008 , 11:45pm
post #167 of 438

Yup... I used heavy cream in Serious Cakes recipe as well. DELISH!! I really love the texture. I feel a caking weekend coming on!

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:42am
post #168 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandifrye

As for HWC, Serious' recipe calls for half and half, and I subbed the HWC. It was all I had, and I couldn't have been happier with the outcome. You just add it like you do any liquid to BC.

icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sorry, what is HWC?

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 12:54am
post #169 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandifrye

icon_biggrin.gif

I'm sorry, what is HWC?

Heavy Whipping Cream icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:05am
post #170 of 438

Got it! In this age of no more words and only using abbreviations it's easy for me to get lost. icon_lol.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:14am
post #171 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

You can also try looking at the old Wilton Encyclopedias -- the set of 3 deal with buttercream and other techniques, but the third one is almost all buttercream borders and flowers.

Thanks vstar_pilot and bobwonderbuns.

vstar_pilot: I had read the review of Winbeckler's booklet and was wary of purchasing it because I was scared that it would be short on substance, based on the reviews. I think I'll reconsider. I had also read reviews on Snyders book. I guess I'll look into purchasing both.

bobwonderbuns: I recently purchased Wilton's the Homemaker's Pictorial Encyclopedia of Modern Cake Decorating, 1954. Are you saying it's one of a set of three? Is it the third one you refer to?

I REALLY want to learn everything I can about the art of buttercream. I love to study several techniques and then use a littel of each as it suits me.

Thanks.

Kim

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:25am
post #172 of 438

I was referring to the Wilton Way of Cake Decorating Complete Encyclopedia, Volumes 1, 2, & 3. The first one is a lot of basics, the second one deals with a whole lotta flowers and various ways of decorating that were popular in various parts of the world, as well as some gumpaste and candy info, and the third one goes through every tip and tube imaginable and what you can do with them. They are a good comprehensive set. You can find them on Ebay from time to time but be prepared to pay big $$$ for them. They are old (early 70s) but comprehensive. If you can only afford one I would recommend getting Volume 3 for what your needs are. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:48am
post #173 of 438

OK...here's the deal...I just ordered these from Amazon:

Figure Piping Ideas for Cupcakes & Larger Cakes - Roland A Winbeckler $12.95

Buttercream Flowers & Arrangements - Roland A Winbeckler $12.95

Sixty-Five Buttercream Flowers - R V Snyder $17.77

By the way, Sixty-Five Buttercream Flowers is $100 on Half.com. I went with Amazon. icon_smile.gif

Now I think I'm going to need a second bookcase. My cake and cookie book collection is rivaling my murder mysteries collection!

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 1:54am
post #174 of 438

You'll be happy with anything by Roland Winbeckler. I've taken classes with both him and Marsha -- awesome!! thumbs_up.gif Another book you might want to consider is "Watching your garden grow" by Le King and Linda Reese. It's all about buttercream flowers. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:07am
post #175 of 438

Thanks, Mister Buns, just ordered it, too!

DH is gonna LOVE all these charges on his PayPal card. icon_biggrin.gif He sells stuff online and the payments go to his PayPal account - then I buy stuff with his PayPal account. Isn't it great when a married couple creates a partnership?! icon_lol.gif I mean, after all, he should appreciate the fact that I don't have any credit cards, right?

Kim

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 2:12am
post #176 of 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_in_CajunCountry

Thanks, Mister Buns, just ordered it, too!

DH is gonna LOVE all these charges on his PayPal card. icon_biggrin.gif He sells stuff online and the payments go to his PayPal account - then I buy stuff with his PayPal account. Isn't it great when a married couple creates a partnership?! icon_lol.gif I mean, after all, he should appreciate the fact that I don't have any credit cards, right?

Kim

You are quite welcome! icon_wink.gif And I agree, DH should be THRILLED you don't have any credit cards! icon_lol.gif At the cost of cake toys he'd have a coronary!

SeriousCakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:09am
post #177 of 438

The library is also a great resource, gives me the chance to kind of preview the book before buying it. I recently borrowed this one:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2351/2284565636_f086482501_o.jpg
It's going on my wishlist icon_lol.gif
I have Wilton's Celebrate books, 2, 3 and 5, as well as their very old Book of Wedding Cakes. lol-that's in addition to the old yearbooks icon_biggrin.gif *sigh* I love books icon_biggrin.gif

DsLady614 Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:25am
post #178 of 438

You know... it is delightful to know I'm not the only obsessed person!!

Kim... honestly, I was skeptical about the Winbeckler thing, but went for it anyway. I love the illustrations. It seems like often flowers are just piled onto a cake without consideration to making them look "real". That's what this book is all about. I like what he suggests.

SeriousCakes Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 3:29am
post #179 of 438

icon_sad.gif my library doesn't have that book! Guess I'm going to have to take the plunge, I love buttercream books thumbs_up.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 16 Oct 2008 , 11:42am
post #180 of 438

serious_cakes: I definitely started out at the library, but there was a limited selection. Then I visited Books a Million and spent time "reviewing" the books they had to offer. I've also read lots of reviews on Amazon before making buying decisions. I recently started buying the used books they have to offer and have been pleasantly surprised. I got Peggy Porschen's Pretty Party Cakes for less than a dollar plus $3.99 shipping. Figured for that price I didn't mind if it had grease spots and icing on the pages. But what I received was a brand new book - dust jacket and all! And then there's always eBay for old, out of print stuff.

Ahhh...so many books to buy, so little time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%