Sweatty Buttercream (Please Reassure Me!)

Decorating By Franluvsfrosting Updated 30 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm by indydebi

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding cake resting in the refrigerator for a wedding tomorrow evening. It's about 67% humidity and 75 degrees in my house right now. (And about the same outside).

I have just finished the scroll work on the sides of all the tiers but I noticed everytime I pull a cake out of the fridge to work on it, it gets really, really sweatty. It hasn't effected the frosting or the scroll work (nothing is sliding off) it's just wet.

I have to drive it about an hour tomorrow afternoon to the venue. My car does not have air conditioning. It is supposed to be about 63 degrees and I don't know what the humidity is going to be.

Do I need to worry? Will it be okay or should I have a panic attack and then try to find a car with air conditioning to borrow? icon_sad.gif

Oh, and I'll be stacking it at the venue so they'll all be resting in their nice little boxes for the drive.

Thanks in advance (especially if you tell me what I want to hear! lol) icon_rolleyes.gif

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 4

At that temp you should not have a problem. The reason it is sweating now is the difference of temp between the frig & the room.
If it sweats when you remove it for transport, be assured it *will* be o.k.....just don't touch it at all until it dries which should be by the time you arrive at the venueicon_smile.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I thought as much but when you're faced with something new it can send your brain right out the window! lol.

I appreciate the response. I feel much better now.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Aug 2008 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 4

This is why I don't refrigerate my cakes. They sit on the counter and the icing air-dries. The only two times I had icing problems was when I put the cake in the 'frig (god knows why I did that!) so I never refrigerate my cakes anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%