Rice Krispies And Fondant

Decorating By FlourPots Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 4:19am by QuiteContrary

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 63

When covering something made of RK treats with fondant, do you first put a layer of buttercream as with a cake?

62 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 63

Some people do. It will help it look smoother. You can also use two layers of fondant, the first to fill in any spaces and the second for the smooth look. If you do it that way, just moisten the first layer a tiny bit or use a little meringue powder mixed with water on it, to glue the two layers together.

sunny2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunny2 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 63

In one of my classes at convention the demonstrator said to use chocolate or candy melts over the rice krispie treats to fill in before covering with fondant.

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny2

In one of my classes at convention the demonstrator said to use chocolate or candy melts over the rice krispie treats to fill in before covering with fondant.

This is genius! Every time I try to make something fondant covered in RKT's, it's always lumpy and bumpy. I can't wait to try this when I have something to make! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 63

Thanks very much for the replies.

leannsloan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannsloan Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 63

Flour Pots, thanks for asking the question I have always wanted to know how they did this. Thanks everyone for your wonderful tips

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 63

I always crush my RK cereal before I make them into RIce Krispy's and this helps SO MUCH with the bumpiness!

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:58pm
post #8 of 63

At our DOS one of the demonstrators said she avoids the bumps and lumps by puting her RK in the food processor until fine before putting them in the marshmallow.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 63
Quote:
Quote:

I am so excited to learn this and try it. I bet it makes them very tasty, too icon_wink.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:01pm
post #10 of 63

I've only used RKT's to make rocks....so lumpy and bumpy WORKED! LOL

Beth in KY

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 63

i always crush mine as well before i make them and i don't let them set that long before i mold what i need to mold. and i never put BC under the fondant, bc that last you want is squishy BC underneath the fondant...so i use a small amount to piping gel or water so the fondant will stick. hth!

bbarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbarnes Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 63

You can also use royal icing, that is what I used to make the pirate ship in my pics. I got the idea from another site and it worked great. Once it was dry I just used royal icing to attach the fondant.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 63

Crush them up and roll your fondant a little thicker when you cover your shape. This is what I do. The baseball hat and ball on the baseball cake in my photos was done this way.. works great! icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 9:42pm
post #14 of 63

Wow...I'm so glad I asked too...crushing the Krispies first is a fantastic idea!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 10:57pm
post #15 of 63

wow! great suggestions. ive been wanting to try rkt for awhile and now im excited to try these tips!
thanks

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:23pm
post #16 of 63

I use chocolate or vanilla almond bark. It's fantastic. It helps hold the shape as well as smooths the bumps and it tastes so good!!

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:32pm
post #17 of 63

I recently made an entire wedding cake out of RKT and I crumb coated with a layer of buttercream then covered with my normal fondant.

Everyone LOVE the RKT cake!

If the RKT are to be eaten I would NOT crush them, or they will be too hard to chew. If they are decorations only then crushing would be fine.

Here is my RKT cake:
and the inside:

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:42pm
post #18 of 63

Could someone please share the recipe for RKT? I'd love to give it a try icon_smile.gif

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:44pm
post #19 of 63

Your RKT cake is AMAZING! What an interesting idea....And YUM..A GIANT RKT...probably less calories then a regular cake..LOL.. icon_biggrin.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:44pm
post #20 of 63

Wow, Mommy_of_3 I've never heard of a complete cake made out of RKT!! it's awesome the cake is abolutely beautiful!! was it hard to stack the layers??

Rosie2 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:46pm
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

I use chocolate or vanilla almond bark. It's fantastic. It helps hold the shape as well as smooths the bumps and it tastes so good!!

Quick question: how do you use the almond bark? do you just melt and pour??

Rosie2 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:46pm
post #22 of 63
Quote:

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:48pm
post #23 of 63

http://www.ricekrispies.com/Display.aspx?kic=true&recipe_id=1605

Kellogg's® Rice Krispies Treats® Original
Print 3x5 card | Print 4x6 card | Print Full Page

E-mail to a friend

This recipe has been tested and endorsed by Kellogg's® Rice Krispies®.

Prep Time
10 minutes
Total Time
10 minutes
Servings
Ingredients
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 (10 oz.) package regular marshmallows
- or -
4 cups mini marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies®

Directions
1. Melt margarine in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

2. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.

3. Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cut into 2-inch squares when cool. Best if served the same day.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:
In a large microwave safe bowl, heat margarine and marshmallows at HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above.

Microwave cooking times may vary.

Note

For best results, use fresh marshmallows.

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme can be substituted for marshmallows.

Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.

Store no more than two days in airtight container.

ENJOY!!!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:49pm
post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2

Quote:

melt it and then depending on the size of the thing, I use a spatula, my fingers, or dip it. Once it's hardened you can use a warm spatula to flatten any ridges or anything not so smooth.

Rosie2 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 11:52pm
post #25 of 63

Thank you very much Aligotmatt....I have almond bark and did not know how to use it icon_redface.gif

Nannootsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nannootsa Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:12am
post #26 of 63

Mom_of_3...Great idea with the RKT cake. My son has Celiac and can't have regular cake. As long as I use Gluten Free Rice Crispies...he'll be able to eat this, and it's gorgeous.
Thanks for the idea.

FlourPots Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 2:04am
post #27 of 63

Mommy_of_3...your "cake" is stunning...very, very cool.

On Flickr someone made a similarly beautiful RK tiered wedding cake, but it was b/c the event was outdoors and it was too hot, so the identical real cake was indoors, refrigerated. I believe there was a wedge cut out from the back, and 1 real piece of cake was added and covered over (but marked), so the bride and groom could cut it out at picture time.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:57am
post #28 of 63

Another reason to cover the RKT with candy melts is that it holds them together. Some times, depending on how they are used, the RKT will fall apart. I used them on a 3D Elmo cake for the arms and legs. I put them around wire so that I could shape them better...yep, on the drive over, they started falling apart. Now I coat them with candy melts and they hold together.

junny629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
junny629 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:46am
post #29 of 63

mommy_of_3, so did your RKT get soggy from the buttercream like some had suggested would happen? I want to make a RKT cake one day. That looks so interesting.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:12pm
post #30 of 63

I've never had them fall apart...except when they were on a cake that was in the fridge. NOT a good idea!

I've done a bunch of cakes with RK's and I don't crush them but I do roll them on the table and compact them to smooth out the outside edges. I also use thicker fondant to cover RK's and they usually come out pretty smooth. I do like the idea of using chocolate though...I will try that next time I have an intricate RK structure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%