Mikail Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 5:42pm
post #61 of 63

Sorry, that was 'munch' away...lool

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 27 Jan 2011 , 6:09pm
post #62 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Mama

I haven't tried working with RKT bfore, I've been too scared lol I would rather it be made of cake if possible.. but I have a castle cake coming up, and can't find any styrofoam to make the towers/turrets, so I have to suck it up and attempt RKTs I'm petrified that it'll look horrible.
Its a princess castle, that's totally smooth, so its not like I can get away with the bumps of the RKTs to be a stone wall either icon_sad.gif
oh boy, Im gong to use this thread to work on my towers.

Do you have access to the inner tubes for paper towels? I just used 4 of them for a princess castle. I made marshmallow fondant to cover them, but first I rubbed a thin layer of crisco on the paper towel tube surface, just prior to rolling the fondant around it. Used a little water to seal the overlapping edge and let them dry upright for 48 hrs. Perfectly straight and smooth! (I did make a brick pattern on them before they dried.)

You will be able to take a serrated knife and cut through the fondant wrapped tube if you decide to adjust the height of the tower afterwards.

I used Royal Icing to adhere the towers to the cake sides and to the board. For the towers sitting on top of the cake, I used 2 dowels in each tower to keep them from tipping over. Doing it this way weighs less than RKT would, but of course, they aren't edible!

Just wanted to give you another idea since you are scared of RKT!

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 4:19am
post #63 of 63

I just had an idea to do the dress form "cake" out of RKT instead of cake. This may make it easier to sculpt as none of it will be eaten really. It is just for display. Thanks for the tips. I had never heard of doing a whole cake like this before. Any additional thoughts would be welcomed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%