Homemade Choco-Pan Longevity?

Decorating By auntsteff Updated 25 Aug 2008 , 3:34am by sugarlove

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 9:24am
post #1 of 18

I do not have a KA, but I am going to visit my father & stepmother who do have one. I would like to make some choco-pan to bring back home with me. I paid $10 for maybe 1 lb of chocolate fondant at my local cake store, and I can't afford to do that right now (I am making more sample cakes than paid cakes).

I have never made (or used) choco-pan before. I wanted to know how long it would last, just for starters. If I keep it wrapped in plastic wrap and sealed in a ziploc will that be okay? Or does it need something more like a 'tupperware' type container.

Any hints/tricks to get the homemade stuff to come out great?

17 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 18

You have a recipe for homemade choco-pan? Do tell!

Anyway, make sure that you rub a thin layer of shortening on the fondant before packaging it.

I do not know how far you are traveling with it, so to be on the safe side, wrap it in plastic wrap, then put it into a Ziploc (only brand I use) bag. When you get it home, additionally put it into a Tupperware container.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 23 Aug 2008 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 18

I really don't understand why choco-pan is sooo expensive when it doesn't even have REAL white chocolate (cocoa butter) in it. The ingredients label list the same exact ingredients for Merckens candy coating.

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:35am
post #4 of 18
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 1:50am
post #5 of 18

Thanks, auntsteff.

sugarlove -

Yes, if the ingredients in the recipe auntsteff just linked me to are similar to the ingredients in Choco-Pan, then I agree with you on your opinion of the price of the product.

I had been under the impression, from reading other threads, here and elsewhere, that it was made with actual chocolate.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarlove Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 2:53am
post #6 of 18

The ingredients for the Choco-pan wedding white are:

sugar, corn syrup, vegetable shortening, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, nonfat milk powder, soy lecithin, monoglycerids, water, titanium dioxide, artificial flavor.

Merckens Super White candy Kote:

sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel and cottonseed oils, nonfat dry milk, milk, glyceryl lacto esters of fatty acids (monoglycerids), titanium dioxide, soy lecithin, salt, and artificial flavor.

The only noticable difference between the two ingredients list is corn syrup which corn syrup added to candy coating equals candy clay or modeling chocolate which ever you want to call it.

May be the bright white or the chocopan ivoire actually contains white chocolate (cocoa butter)??

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 18

The tub of choco-o-pan I have says "Gourmet White Chocolate" not candy melts hence the higher price. The ingredients in this recipe are not the same as purchased choc-o-pan and the rating for the recipe isn't that high.

sugarlove Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 18

Yes, the the tagline says "Gourmet White Chocolate Fondant" but the ingredients for the wedding white chocopan I have doesn't list actual white chocolate which is essentially pure cocoa butter and vanilla instead it list the same ingredients for candy coating which is FAKE white chocolate! Hence, my reason for stating it's over priced candy coating, sugar, and corn syrup.

Now, I just went and compared the ingredients for Chocopan Noire, Merckens Chocolate candy coating, and REAL Valhrona and Felchlin dark chocolate.

Chocopan Noire has the same exact ingredients as the Merckens Chocolate candy coating with the exception of corn syrup...because as you know you need corn syrup to make modeling chocolate.

Chocopan Noire Ingredients:

sugar, corn syrup, vegetable shortening, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, cocoa processed with akali, butter milk, cocoa, milk fat, soy lecithin, polysorbate-60, water, artificial flavor, artificial color.

Mercken Dark Cocoa Candy Kote:

sugar, partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil and cottonseed oils, nonfat dry milk, cocoa processed with alkali, cocoa, glyceryl lacto esters of fatty acids, soy lecithin and salt.

Valhrona and Felchin dark chocolate ingredients:
cocoa beans, cocoa butter, sugar, and natural vanilla flavor

Real White Chocolate Elrey:
cocoa butter, whole and skim milk, sugar, soy lecithin, natural vanilla

In the two Choco-pan products I have there is no REAL chocolate in those products which doesn't warrant the very high price for such small amount. For all of these years I assumed Choco-pan used quality REAL chocolate hence the price but recently realized it's all candy coating and corn syrup with some added powder sugar and flavoring.

I never tried the recipe above and from the looks of it, it's not like the Chocopan added extra ingredients that are not common to Chocopan.

tiggy2 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 18

Real chocolate or not it's still the best tasting I have found and I have tasted most commercial brands. I don't think it's that much more then satin ice or fondex and the taste is far superior IMO.

sugarlove Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 18

There was never a question as to the taste of Choco-pan...just the price of the product which doesn't include actual chocolate. Choco-pan is much more expensive than Satin Ice and Fondx. Choco-pan retails around $48 for a 10lb and $19.50 for a 4lb container where as Fondx retails $21 for 10lbs and Satin Ice $41 for 20lbs not sure how they are similar in price when Choco-pan is almost double.

tiggy2 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 18

I guess everyone has to decide if they want quality or quantity. Choc-o-pan is the only one that I haven't had people peel off and throw away so I guess it's worth the price to me. IMO I'd rather pay more and have people eat it then pay less and throw it away. Like I said JMO.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I guess everyone has to decide if they want quality or quantity. Choc-o-pan is the only one that I haven't had people peel off and throw away so I guess it's worth the price to me. IMO I'd rather pay more and have people eat it then pay less and throw it away. Like I said JMO.

I agree here. I dislike the taste of all commercial fondant, except Choco-Pan. It's absolutely delicious and worth the extra cost. It's easier to work with and doesn't have a funny chemical aftertaste. So, it may have the same ingredients as the candy melts and not have any real chocolate in it, but if they can do that and make it taste as good as it does, then that's what matters to me. In the end I want my cakes to taste superior to anything my customers have had elsewhere.

sugarlove Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You lost me there...how would there be a lack of quality with making your own version of chocopan using the same exact ingredients (candy coating, corn syrup, powder sugar, and flavorings) in Choco-pan with the only trade off being in price since the homemade version will be fresher and cheaper and still taste great. Also, speaking of quality, since Choco-pan doesn't actually contain real chocolate that to me is an example of quantity over quality because real cocoa butter, chocolate liquor (cocoa beans), and natural flavors are much more expensive and quality ingredients than the fake imitation and artificial ingredients therefore, would be worthy of the higher price.

tiggy2 Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 18

We all have our own opinions and I was just stating mine. In referencde to quality I was refering to "my" opinion of taste versus the others I have tried. I'll leave it at that and you can have the last word as I'm not here to argue. Have a good day icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #15 of 18

Hey Sugarlove,

Where have you found 10 lbs of FondX for $21? I am thinking of switching to FondX from Satin Ice.

Thanks,
Sherri

sugarlove Posted 24 Aug 2008 , 8:30pm
post #16 of 18

Since, this topic is regarding "homemade chocopan" I simply stated my opinion regarding the price of the chocopan when it is just candy clay in a bucket label "Gourmet White or Dark Chocolate Fondant".And as a point of comparison between the ingredients for Fondx, Satin Ice, and Chocopan, I notice chocopan didn't contain any gums etc like the two previously mentioned fondants. I also noticed I didn't see "cocoa butter or cocoa beans (chocolate liquor) on the ingredients list which prompt me to grab a bag of merckens candy coating to compare the ingredients for it and then it became obvious that chocopan was essentially candy coating,corn syrup, and powdered sugar. This thread nor my comments are not about which fondant is the best tasting or the easiest to work with. I added my two cents in regards to the ingredients and those main three ingredients that chocopan is made of which all cost under $10 therefore its not worth the expense for me to purchase chocopan again when I just make my own for a lot less.

Cakepro, I can get Fondx for $21 at CK Products.

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 2:24am
post #17 of 18

I wonder -

What substitutions would have to be made to make this into white chocolate fondant?

Any thoughts, anyone?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sugarlove Posted 25 Aug 2008 , 3:34am
post #18 of 18

There is a white chocolate version of Michelle Foster's fondant recipe on the boards...if you are looking for a chocopan like product then try playing around with the super white candy coating and glucose until you get the consistency you are looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%