Argh! Customers Who Don't Care!!!

Decorating By SweetOccasionCakes Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm by CakeDiva70

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 23

I have another customer who wants a cake and doesn't care about the color, flavor or anything. The only thing she asked for was a rectangle to feed 20 with Happy Birthday Cindy on it! She wants it for Saturday. Any suggestions? Guess it's a good time to try out something new, right?

22 replies
EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 23

I hate that too... at least give me some idea of what you want! I always just wonder that if I do my own thing they're goinna hate it!

rudoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudoo Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 23

It's sad too that they don't even care to get something special for that person- like color, flower, etc. icon_sad.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 23

yeah for you. I love it when customers say to do whatever I want..that means they trust your skills more than their own...every cake I have posted with the exception of the small sample wedding cake with the B on it were ordered this way. This type of customer allows you to try new things...I made the cake with the pillow to try fondant and carving....the other cakes allowed me to practice lace, fondant flowers, presses etc. Don't fret, pray for more customers who trust your judgement and your skills.

krystyne_wilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystyne_wilson Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 23

I'd say that this is prime opportunity to try something new and different...or just make mild modifications to one of your fave designs as practice. I'm sure whatever you do will be fine, your cakes are nice!

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 23

I LOVE that!! Then you can just do whatever you want! PERFECT time to try something new. How often do you get paid to do that!?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 23

Oh my this is the perfect time to try one of Thanh Thanh's wonderful designs!!
Make it lovely, beautiful, elegant but simple.
For cake flavor try a new combination OR keep it simple, making a WASC w/raspberry OR nutella OR other wonderful fillinng icon_smile.gif
You can't beat my *original* WASC recipe - just the perfect size recipe for 20 servings (a 9x13 cake) icon_smile.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:57am
post #8 of 23

hey kakeladi, is that recipe the one posted on this site? I tried that one and might want to try a different one, not fond of the almond and haven't tried it again without it.

Thanks,
hammer1

mrsscholler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsscholler Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #9 of 23

that is hard when they give you no direction i feel like whatever i choose they will hate because its not what they "really" wanted. come on were not mind readers here!!!!

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:21am
post #10 of 23

I can see it as good and bad. On one hand you can experiment with new designs and/or flavors. On the other, you want them to like the flavors you choose. I guess it is better than having someone who is extremely nitpicky and critical.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:36am
post #11 of 23

i love to hear... do what you want... they totally trust you ... i always try to make it special though....

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:37am
post #12 of 23

My favorite is a customer who gives me their theme, and if they want tiers or whatever, and lets me do the rest! I need a partial idea at least, but I love the freedom to design the cake.

Just be careful if they are paying you for a plain sheet cake, that you don't put four hours into decorating it with all kinds of cool fondant stuff, or you will set yourself up for selling really awesome sheet cakes for low prices. I do try to remind myself to keep my "creativity" within the boundaries of what the customer is paying.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 3:42am
post #13 of 23

I adore customers like this (and thankfully I have quite a few who trust me enough to make all their orders this way)! Let's me try new things, or just get my creative juices flowing. Have fun with it!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:01am
post #14 of 23

Yeah it's tough. You want to try something, and you start to wonder whether, or not they will like it.

Mike

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 11:47am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsscholler

that is hard when they give you no direction i feel like whatever i choose they will hate because its not what they "really" wanted. come on were not mind readers here!!!!

There's an easy response to nip this in the bud:

"Great! That means I get to do whatever I want and you dont' get to complain about it!" icon_biggrin.gif

I personally luv the "do whatever" cakes. I get to cross of one of the cakes on my list of "cakes I want to make".

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 2:37pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsscholler

There's an easy response to nip this in the bud:

"Great! That means I get to do whatever I want and you dont' get to complain about it!" icon_biggrin.gif

I personally luv the "do whatever" cakes. I get to cross of one of the cakes on my list of "cakes I want to make".

Hmmm, I need to make a list of cakes I want to make! This will be very helpful when this comes up again!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:03pm
post #17 of 23

I like the freedom of design, but I would have a hard time if they don't at least tell you what flavors they like. I would be afraid of potential allergy problems with that.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:03pm
post #18 of 23

I like the freedom of design, but I would have a hard time if they don't at least tell you what flavors they like. I would be afraid of potential allergy problems with that.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:48pm
post #19 of 23

.......... if they don't at least tell you what flavors they like. I would be afraid of potential allergy problems with that.......

It is up to THEM to tell you that there are allergy problems. How are you to know?????? I would not concern myself about this at all.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 4:59pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.......... if they don't at least tell you what flavors they like. I would be afraid of potential allergy problems with that.......

It is up to THEM to tell you that there are allergy problems. How are you to know?????? I would not concern myself about this at all.

What I meant was that I would not personally assume what flavor a customer would like. I just can't work like that. Just my opinion.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:11pm
post #21 of 23

I like and dislike this when it happens. I would like some sort of direction....just like their favorite colors or something...so I can make the cake more personable. However, it does give you free reign to do whatever but it still stucks.....good luck?!!?!

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:22pm
post #22 of 23

When I have a customer who seems to not really care and wants to leave it up to me, I quote to them what I will do then, ie. I say, ok I will be making you a white cake with raspberry filling, iced in buttercream and decorated in pink and white with pink roses and green leaves. That way if they hear something they don't agree with they can let you know.....and my customers almost always break in and say, no I would rather have...

CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 5:24pm
post #23 of 23

I LOVE when they do that!!!!! I love to be able to show creativity.......... go for it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%