Emergency!!! Rice Paper!!!

Decorating By bsanders12 Updated 22 Aug 2008 , 1:09am by Tona

bsanders12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsanders12 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 7

Where can I find rice paper in San Diego California?? Please help I need it really really bad
thank you for reading this topic
Becca icon_eek.gif

6 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 7

Don't know where you can buy it, but I came across this recipe...
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?s=805ecdc263afc58ea671201577254a01&showtopic=31847
-----------
Rice Paper:
100 g long grain rice
400 g water
100 g milk
1/2 vanilla bean
30 g sugar
wash and rinse rice. cook rice in water with milk, vanilla and sugar until all of the liquid is absorbed. puree until a very thick paste is formed. Spread on silpat and bake at 300 for 10-15 minutes until dry. Test for doneness by tearing off a piece. This makes a very neutral flavored "paper", but you can add just about anything to bring in more flavors - cinnamon, lemon grass, orange zest, ginger, cardamom, etc.
Neil Robertson, aka "nightscotsman" ; Baker, Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas
---------------

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 7

. . . who has actually made their own rice paper . . I would love more info . . . please share . . . thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 7

I sure don't think I'd like to try making iticon_sad.gif

There is a place down there that Linda (formerly known as) Bunn - I know she has remarried but can't think of her 'new' name - it does start w/a "B" owns. I think it's "The icing on the cake".

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 7

I can get rice flour in the Latino section of my grocery stores. I wonder if that would work, in lieu of cooking rice and pureeing it. Otherwise, it reminds me of the recipe for homemade edible glitter.

I think this requires further investigation.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:07am
post #6 of 7

I don't make edible paper, but do make flake cereal from this similar recipe I found on the Dollar Stretcher website, years ago... The key is getting it thin enough. I assume that would be the key to the paper as well. (If you try the cereal recipe and use honey instead of the sugar, it won't stay crisp.)
--The post as it was written--
I have been using the following recipe for flake cereal, the only problem I have is not letting the kids eat it all before breakfast.
Flake Cereal Recipe
# 2 Cups whole wheat flour
# 1tsp. salt
# 2C. water
# 1/2C brown sugar

Mix ingredients with a spoon until the consistency of thin paint. Pour onto a greased baking sheet. Tip the sheet to cover the surface with a film, pouring the excess back into the bowl. Bake 350 degrees about 15 min. until crisp and golden. Pull off sheet and let cool before breaking into flakes.
I have found if you use a non-stick cookie tray it works great. Just when you think you have poured off too much of the batter back into the tray is when to stop. I use these as garnishes on ice cream and also on scrambled eggs served to company, just don't make flakes just break into interesting designs.
A book I live by is A Bite of Independence through self sufficiency. -KN
------

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 22 Aug 2008 , 1:09am
post #7 of 7

Most cake stores have rice paper you can also get it from Global Sugar Art if you have time to order it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%