1. Bettercreme thawed
2. Cream cheese sitting out to room temperature
3. Pudding boxes being sorted
4. Getting out the Torani syups
5. Getting the jams out
6. Butter sitting out to room temperature
7. Getting out the C. sugar

I think I'm ready Mel!! Can't wait! I'm so excited! icon_biggrin.gif
Oh ya, I forgot the Hershey's Syrups! I finally found the P. butter one. I grabbed the last one Walmart had!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 1:51pm
post #152 of 205

Awesome Grandma! Glad you found it!

You know what's weird? I live in a town of about 500 people, but I am always going 'to town' which is the Quad Cities (Iowa/Illinois) (Davenport Iowa specifically) which is a very large 'metropolis'. I have gone everywhere and cannot find the Hershey's Dulce de Leche syrup. icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif So, on my way home from my Grandparent's house one day I stopped at this little podunk grocery store in a small town halfway between them and us... guess what? icon_surprised.gif Are you kidding me?? So I bought one. LOVED IT!! Kept lookingfor it elsewhere, no luck. The other day I broke down and went back to that store and cleared out their shelf. I think I left 2 bottles as a courtesy to other patrons, but I bought six!! They also had caramel flavored sprinkles right next to it, so I bought those that first time as a garnish for the dulce bettercreme, and they are really good! I don't normally care for sprinkles, but these are good! They actually have a caramel taste! They are by Betty Crocker.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 2:19pm
post #153 of 205

Caramel sprinkles? Those sound fun. What do the store-bought edible pearls taste like? I've been wanting to order some because their just so darn pretty.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:04pm
post #154 of 205

Mel. what brand is the Dulce de Leche syrup? Sounds good!

Melvira Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 3:19pm
post #155 of 205

Hershey's Dulce de Leche. Sorry, I thought I said that. icon_redface.gif You could use caramel ice cream syrup though.

ETA: Sorry, I have NO clue about the edible pearls. I've never bought/used them. I wonder if they're sugar like a dragee, or fondant??

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 5:20pm
post #156 of 205

sayhellojana.. I just got a delivery with the edible pearls so I opened and tasted one and they are just sweet, like a tiny bite of sugar. I have used them several times before and never thought to try them LOL! Yes they are very prettty !
GrandmaG..I hope you love the bettercreme!

sayhellojana Posted 26 Aug 2008 , 6:43pm
post #157 of 205

Thanks for the info Fiddlesticks icon_smile.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:35pm
post #158 of 205

Mel~Count me in for the "Things you can do with Bettercreme" file!!! icon_lol.gif

Ok...a few more ??? Does it come in liquid form or frozen? Can you freeze it again or after you've beaten it? I'm not a big fan of whipped frosting...is that the consistency of it, just much better tasting? Can you decorate with it or just fill? I'm gonna try and go get some today I think.. icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 2:46pm
post #159 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Mel~Count me in for the "Things you can do with Bettercreme" file!!! icon_lol.gif

Ok...a few more ??? Does it come in liquid form or frozen? Can you freeze it again or after you've beaten it? I'm not a big fan of whipped frosting...is that the consistency of it, just much better tasting? Can you decorate with it or just fill? I'm gonna try and go get some today I think.. icon_lol.gif

It comes as a frozen liquid, you thaw and whip. You can also get a bucket of pre-whipped but it's not as good. You can free the pre-whipped, so I assume with the liquid, once it's whipped you can freeze it if you want. It's the consistency of a firm Cool Whip but tastes much better and it's more substantive if you know what I mean. It's not quite as airy as Cool Whip. A bit sweeter as well. You can do borders and flowers with it, but they have a different look, not quite the same as regular BC. But they are also lighter and less sweet than traditional BC. It is really good stuff, especially considering all the stuff you can do with it! It's so versatile!

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:16pm
post #160 of 205

Do you have any idea where to get Bettercreme in Tulsa, OK?

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 12:37pm
post #161 of 205

Shoot, I don't... anyone, anyone? Do we have any Tulsans here? Hey, I *wish* I was in Tulsa, does that count?? I've got a little crush on someone in Tulsa! icon_rolleyes.gif It's a famous person though... so it's not like I'm cheating on hubby! And this guy is married too. icon_lol.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 1:34pm
post #162 of 205

You might give a Sysco's a call. You will probably have to buy it by the case though.
http://www.sysco.com/map/map.asp
Hey Mel, how's the bettercream recipes coming? icon_smile.gif I feel like a kid! I can't wait!! icon_lol.gif
I found those candied sunflowers by accident. I was looking for chocolate footballs to put on cc's for our first Nebraska football game and looked up and there they were. They are good and addictive!!

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:30pm
post #163 of 205

Ok, I'm embarassed to admit, I finished it about an hour after we talked about it (for the most part) but I didn't post it because I feel like I should put more in it. It's pretty short and not that impressive. Then life intervened and I got busy. icon_redface.gif

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 3:47pm
post #164 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Ok, I'm embarassed to admit, I finished it about an hour after we talked about it (for the most part) but I didn't post it because I feel like I should put more in it. It's pretty short and not that impressive. Then life intervened and I got busy. icon_redface.gif

I can't believe that it is that short, you are always spouting out flavors everywhere I look!! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 4:23pm
post #165 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by frstech

I can't believe that it is that short, you are always spouting out flavors everywhere I look!! icon_lol.gif

I know it, but that's the problem... there are too many flavors to simply sit and name them all, so what I did was explain the *method* for doing it, then gave like 5-10 examples. So it seems kind of skimpy to me. Like I phoned it in, if you're familiar with that phrase!

Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 5:30pm
post #166 of 205

Oh Mel I would like a copy anyway. Who says that the best things are long? icon_lol.gif

GrandmaG I made the carrot cupcakes. I know I'm slow. Anyway they made 24 for me and it took about 27 minutes for them to cook and they did sink a little bit in the middle but not to bad. I double the icing recipe because I had read that everyone said one batch was not enough. I was left with about a little less than 1 cup and it was delicious. I took them to both of our newspaper to try since I did the same with the coconut ones and they loved those. They are suppose to give me their take on the carrot ones as soon as they all tried them. I thought that would be a good way to get an honest opinion. Well update as soon as they let me know but they were going fast as soon as I left them. I have a daughter that works at one paper and a sister that works at the other and they thought this would be a good way for so many different opinions. I daved a few for DH but he's not home yet so I will let you know about his take on it too. icon_biggrin.gif

GrandmaG Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 6:29pm
post #167 of 205

Thanks for taking the time to do that Mel. I think if you just let us know the basics we can figure it out from there. There are a gazillion flavors out there so I know it's hard to write them all down!

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:16pm
post #168 of 205
frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 7:19pm
post #169 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Ok, y'all, here's the Bettercreme link!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6074205.html#6074205

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Meemawfish Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 9:59pm
post #170 of 205

Thanks so much Mel you are so sweet. icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 10:12pm
post #171 of 205

That's my job! Hehehe.

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 28 Aug 2008 , 11:34pm
post #172 of 205

I've been lurking around the site for awhile now. I was asked to make a cupcake cake last week and was researching when I found this topic. I have been wanting to try other recipes, so I did. It might be a little late.. but better late then never.

They seem to be a winner.. My hubby gave them an A and he does not care for carrot cake.. true test will be tomorrow when I send them to work with mom, she works at a church, they get lots of cakes cupcakes and cookies..so the review is still out on that.

I did not have any problems with sinking, was a little nervous after reading the other post, they did not dome either.

I guess I will go out this weekend to try the next recipe.... Hopefully thats as good!!

GrandmaG Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 12:41am
post #173 of 205

MrsLev, that's great that they were good for you! No, we have until tomorrow to critique the carrot cupcakes but I'm sure it will be fine to keep posting results!!

Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 1:14am
post #174 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

MrsLev, that's great that they were good for you! No, we have until tomorrow to critique the carrot cupcakes but I'm sure it will be fine to keep posting results!!

I agree, even if we've moved on to another flavor, someone in the future may be glad to hear a few more reviews on this one!! thumbs_up.gif

sayhellojana Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:43am
post #175 of 205

Anyone have an idea of what the new flavor will be? I'm excited. I made another batch of chocolate coconut cupcakes, little changes to my recipe here and there. They are really good, but I can't wait till I can find some bettercream and try Mel's coconut pudding cupcake filling.

I have another week and a half to decide what recipes to enter in the state fair. I'm thinking coconut cake, chocolate peanut butter swirl cookies (my specialty, I send them to some friends down at UC Berkeley every month) and maybe these coconut chocolate cupcakes.

Thanks for the bettercream info again. I really can't wait to find some, you all talk about it so highly, it must be good

Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:50am
post #176 of 205

sayhellojana - she already posted the new flavor! It's lemon!! She put a link in this thread, I think it's one page back, but I can't recall, sorry!

sayhellojana Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 5:11am
post #177 of 205

Oh, silly me. Sorry. Lemon, yum. I'll have to try them this weekend. Keep me updated on y'alls success.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 2:41pm
post #178 of 205

I tried the lemon cc's last evening. They are great! They have a really fresh lemon flavor, and so does the cream cheese frosting. I wouldn't change anything! It made about 16 cupcakes for me and there was plenty of frosting with some left over.

Since this was a cake recipe I think it would also make a really wonderful cake if you use the full recipe.

Meemawfish Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:08pm
post #179 of 205

Well I might have to try the lemon ones then. Everybody is making me feel bad for not trying them. icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 29 Aug 2008 , 7:40pm
post #180 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemawfish

Well I might have to try the lemon ones then. Everybody is making me feel bad for not trying them. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh come on (bad meemaw) what you are talking about (loser)? I'm sure (wussy) no one here thinks (degenerate) any less of you (bad cupcake lady) for not trying it (make them now)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%