How Long To Defrost A Cake

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 21 Aug 2008 , 3:17pm by cylstrial

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 4

How many hours would you say it takes to defrost a cake? And also can you crumbcoat a frozen cake? Or you should wait to crumbcoat the cake until it has defrosted?

Thanks so much!!

3 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 4

You will get different answers on this, some say never frost frozen. I do it all the time, I actually crumb coat frozen, stick in the fridge to thaw gradually for a day then take out and frost. I live in a normally dry area and this works great but this last week it has rained for a week and very humid here. It takes longer to thaw and it sweats when I take it out of fridge. Then I let it sit on counter for a few hours to dry up. You can also just take out of freezer with plastic still on and let thaw for a few hours then frost. I do this with some cakes.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 4

The thawing time will vary w/the size of the cake.
Is it a single layer or put together w/filling tier? Of course, a single layer will take only 30-60 minutes but a tier can take up to 4 h ours.
An 8" tier will take much less time than a 12, 14 or 16" one.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Aug 2008 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 4

I am defrosting 2 - 6 inches (not tiered yet), 2 - 8 inches (not tiered yet), and 2 - 10 inches (not tiered yet). Do I defrost in the foil and plastic? Or take them out?

Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%